Noob Pics Questions (sorry...).

v22TTC

So with IPV in mind.... The only digital camera I can get my hands on (spent all my money on minis, paints and brushes) is a 4 megapixel Olympus mju 400.

Now I know basic photo questions are always getting asked and I've read loads about it and experimented as best I can but it isn't something I can relate to and the questions are never completely the ones I'd ask, but I've done my best, honest!

So, needless to say there's no `taking pics of minis mode' so which would be best from the options?:-

Default or Portrait (the others it clearly won't be)? Portrait apparently is geared to reproducing skin tones, so if your mini had lots of skin would this be best?

OK, I'm guessing I should get the camera as close to the mini as the manual recommends (20cm) and go for maximum zoom until the mini fills the LCD monitor thing, on macro mode. And that I should go for the highest resolution possible (SHQ: 2272 x 1704)?

I'm with the lightbox, multiple lights and tripod side of things so I'm sure I should try to not use the flash? We'll leave brightness and white balance for now - I guess when most of the variables have been knocked out I can just experiment with those.

But - what I've never seen asked: so I've got my pics, composited for IP format (800 pixels wide and 250KB?) and there's a kind of file name thing (html?).

So how do you get that from your 'puter to a gallery? How do you get it so that you can click on it and it goes big (on the gallery)? Seems that Photobucket or something acts as an intermediary but how does that work and what do I have to do?

I know posts with loads of questions don't do too well but I'm really lost. I've already had a bit of a `play' and read the useless manual, but trial and error takes time and IP is upon me.

Thanks to all who'll help me!:puppy:

Edited by v22TTC
Clarity

I'm not sure what the correct thing to do is, I only know what I do. :)

I don't use a flash.

With my camera, I actually don't zoom in until the miniature fills the picture. I find that the focus on my camera can get confused that way, I actually end-up cropping the picture later.

I'm not sure what you are asking about Photobucket. I think that the gallery automatically shows a smaller version of the image (if it is over a certain size) then shows the full-size image on click.

I hope that helps.

Cheers! I know some of this is a bit different now that Nathan's put that resizing thing on, but if you go through the competition galleries where you click on the thumb and get the entry with text, and you can then click on the pic and it fills the screen (getting rid of the text). It doesn't seem automatic because some entries don't do this (and the competition galleries don't seem to have been resized).

What I'm asking really is for the whole bag of bones, after you've got your image sorted on the computer (assuming I can do that). You'll have a pic and a line of code that lables it that you can copy and whatnot... filename I suppose? How do you get that onto a gallery? Can you just copy/paste and that's it?

Ummm, I mean when it comes to computers you should assume I know nothing and explain as you would to a three year old who'd never seen a computer....

So how do you get that from your 'puter to a gallery? How do you get it so that you can click on it and it goes big (on the gallery)? Seems that Photobucket or something acts as an intermediary but how does that work and what do I have to do?

Cheers! I know some of this is a bit different now that Nathan's put that resizing thing on, but if you go through the competition galleries where you click on the thumb and get the entry with text, and you can then click on the pic and it fills the screen (getting rid of the text). It doesn't seem automatic because some entries don't do this (and the competition galleries don't seem to have been resized).

Actually you can upload your photos on your computer directly onto the Wyrd site, thus eliminating the need for a intermediary host site, host sites are usually needed if you want to post a picture in a forum thread. The reason some of the gallery pictures have a larger image when you click on them and some don't is because of the actual image size the member uploads... some upload some big pics, which is made into a clickable thumbnail, while others submit pics small enough that it already appears as actual size because that is all the bigger it is. It all depends on the images uploaded by the user, not the Wyrd site.

For some help see this link:

How to Upload to the Contest Gallery

Hope this helps! And if it makes you feel any better, all my gallery pics were taken with an older model 4.0 megapix Olympus too!

:D

Blessings and goodness upon you all! Duende: I read that link back in the day (was going to submit something for FFIII, if Arcane hadn't done its thing... grrr) but it didn't mean anything to me, if you know what I mean - like it's all kind of too theoretical... think I'm getting it now.

So there's different software in galleries and forums?

I kind of hate showing WIPs but think it's best for this so I can get some photo practice in before the deadline approaches.

And Duende: about the Olympus 400, yep, that reassured me untold cheers! :)

I know using Photobucket.com, it gives me options to the side of the pictures in my album of the code already supplied for various uses. (See picture below)

You can also see how it's done in forum threads by just clicking the "Quote" button on anybody post with a picture in it and see the coding of it yourself.

Photobucket's options:

options.jpg

That's totally outragrous! Something to bear in mind though, thanks.

OK, well I've read the tutorials people kindly linked to plus re-read some others and I think my old photography memory hamster has finally been prodded awake! :)

I should be OK with this camera I'm borrowing for this round of IPV but if I get through into the next round, the person I've borrowed the camera off will be away, with camera, for the duration of Round 2, so I'll have to buy a camera anyway. Kind of want to symbolically, anyway, since I think I've finally found something that I would quite like doing career-wise; having my own good camera shows I'm being (a bit) serious....

So I've done a bit of research but I'd value you guys' input on which camera to get. Me being me, I'd want everything to be manual, see you need a low ISO, long exposure time (with high f value) and the ability to get really close to the mini.

How close would you ever actually need to get? I'm checking the Nikon Coolpix's out but would you ever get 1-3 cm away from your mini?

Should be able to stretch to around £200-£300 plus extras.... Thanks again pals! :)

My advice is to check out http://www.dcresource.com/ and http://www.dpreview.com/. The thing about mini painter/gamers is that that's primarily what we are, so we view cameras as kind of a necessary evil and buy something once every few years at most. These guys are camera nuts, so they've used and compared loads of cameras and written reviews on them. dpreview is a bit snobby about preferring SLR cameras, which will be beyond your budget (the base camera might not be, but adding on a macro lens will), but just ignore that. Also I'd suggest you make sure the camera is all right at whatever else you'd use it for. My previous camera wasn't great in low light, so I shopped around for one that I liked both the low light and macro features, for example. If you've got kids or play sports you might want something that excels at continuous shooting modes and has nice image stabilization features. Any good camera in your price range should be fine with macro.

Cool - will check the links! Yeah, I should have mentioned that I have certain philosophical issues with cameras as they're generally used, so the camera would literally just be for taking pics of minis - so I'd like one as optimised for that as possible.

I could borrow some cash and go for a digital SLR but are they really that much better for this kind of work? I mean that as a real question - if they are then I probably will... certainly found (analogue) SLRs easy to use back in the day... not as fiddly as these digital compacts and giving you more control at the same time....

I don't think the Digital SLR is really that much better unless you really like the uber close fancy photos. Here is a sample of a Photo I took of an unpainted/unprimed mini (probably the worst type of photo) using a Nikon Coolpix S200 (an under-$200 camera)

DSCN0042-20080416-214606.jpg

Edited by goblyn13

My research last year suggested that Nikon is still king of the macro lens, so if mini photography is all you want a camera for, might as well go with that. A mid-range or super zoom with a lot of manual features should be fine, if you don't need to take other types of pics an SLR seems even less necessary for you than most people. Spend a little extra money on a good photo set up (light box, tripod, backdrops and good lights) instead and my guess would be it'll help you a lot more than a $1000 macro SLR lens.

Aside from macro the features you want to be able to manually control are custom white balance, aperture, and exposure compensation. You also want image stablization if you can get it. You won't likely use all of those all the time, but they all come in handy for certain types of mini photos. You also need to be able to turn auto-flash off, but I have a hard time believing even the cheapest camera wouldn't have that setting.

Nice one Wren! :) Having checked the specs (now that I know what I'm after and have remembered what I learned about photography and its jargon), the Nikon P80's rocking my socks. What I'm after really is avoiding a false economy where I find myself needing a better camera as my game improves (ummm, and I'm kind of after being the best minis painter in the world, ultimately ;) ), so barring some crazy breakthrough in tech, it seems that I'll never need to replace a P80, until it breaks....

Haven't checked Canons yet, but like you say, it does seem for this that Nikon goes down best.... I know what you mean about minis painters seeing cameras as necessary evils - that's kind of my problem, finding reviews written by minis painters about which cameras to go for, rather than how to make do (which is cool too).....

EDIT: If you had a camera with a 1cm focusing distance and 10 Megapixel count (and good macro), how much would you need your optical zoom? What actual x number should I be looking for?

EDIT2: And what is the minimum highest f no. I should be looking for the camera to have, say if I might be moving into dioramas and that, for good depth of field? `Minimum highest' - gah! You know what I mean....

Edited by v22TTC
Question added.

Nice one Wren! :) Having checked the specs (now that I know what I'm after and have remembered what I learned about photography and its jargon), the Nikon P80's rocking my socks. What I'm after really is avoiding a false economy where I find myself needing a better camera as my game improves (ummm, and I'm kind of after being the best minis painter in the world, ultimately ;) ), so barring some crazy breakthrough in tech, it seems that I'll never need to replace a P80, until it breaks....

Haven't checked Canons yet, but like you say, it does seem for this that Nikon goes down best.... I know what you mean about minis painters seeing cameras as necessary evils - that's kind of my problem, finding reviews written by minis painters about which cameras to go for, rather than how to make do (which is cool too).....

EDIT: If you had a camera with a 1cm focusing distance and 10 Megapixel count (and good macro), how much would you need your optical zoom? What actual x number should I be looking for?

EDIT2: And what is the minimum highest f no. I should be looking for the camera to have, say if I might be moving into dioramas and that, for good depth of field? `Minimum highest' - gah! You know what I mean....

For the macro functions, alot of times the camera will minimize your zoom ability because with the zoom in use you are exceeding the focusing distance. as for the F-stop (F no) that is for you Depth of field, so in many cases the higher the better however the drawback on the f-stop is the wider open it is the longer the camera has t oremain absolutely still.