Twhoo-grrrr!

Amazon_warrior

Glad people like the base. I'm at the stage where all my basing questions are answered with cork, sand and static grass... lol!

That's about the same stage I'm at right now, but I'm trying to do some different things. The problem I keep running into is that items for basing, or the items to make them, aren't available in my town. Buying them online is an option, but the shipping costs tend to be a bit high.

Yeah, that can be difficult. Mind you, there's a lot of stuff you can rob from the great outdoors or the kitchen which can go towards making a good base. I remember trimming a chunk of fibres off a natural-bristle broom because they had just the right stiffness and thickness to be clumps of dried grass. Painting them was interesting!

Wow, that's quite a change/improvement; very nice bit of conversion.

I've been into using Plumbers' Epoxy for my bases for the last twelve years; it's easy to work with, offers a tremendous amount of various effects, dries in about 20 minutes, & costs much less than green/brown stuff, although not capable of holding the fine details that g/b can. Craft stores also offer quite a variety of cool scenery items; I use the colored sands in preference to local beach sand as it lacks the fleas inherent in the beach variety [Long Island Feas are almost as virulent as their Baltic cousins]. Grazing for scenic item is not only a great & inexpensive way of getting materials, but offers an excuse for a nice leisurely walk.

Thanks for the inspiration Amazon Warrior.

Cheers! I'm just glad I inspired someone. :)

Plumber's epoxy sounds interesting. I've mostly used GS in the past, and now some magic sculpt. The greatest problem I have is the stickiness of both. With GS, a bit of water sorts it out, but adding water to MS causes it to dissolve! Means you can get a lovely smooth finish if you're careful, tho.

I end up buying my sand too. Living in the middle of Germany means no available beaches! Swiping a handful of sand from a building site could be an option, if I didn't know what cats do in piles of sand... :s

Cheers! I'll do my best. :)

Demonherald: the celestial lion is by Reaper.

H'mm, tips for brown. Well, I chose a lighter shade for the feathers and a darker one for the fur. The feathers got shaded with the base fur colour, and the fur got shaded with the base colour plus black. I highlighted the fur and the feathers with very different shades of brown, but wasn't 100% strict- some feather highlight got added to the lightest fur areas. I was trying to make the two textures look still distinct, but with elements of the same brown in both, so they harmonised a bit. Does that make any sense? It's a method I'm playing around with at the moment, still working on refining it.

Cool cheers ***hits thanks button**** which browns do you use so far I've tried most recently trying out P3 which seem pretty good... GW have been my staple VMC tried a few but didn't get on with em...got a couple of reaper master series again haven't really experimented with them yet...

oh well all good fun...

I use a mixture of GW and P3, as a rule, my handful of Reaper and Vallejo was insignificant here! For this fella I based the feathers with bestial brown and the fur with scorched brown. Fur highlights were done with snakebite leather, feather highlights were hammerfall khaki (I think...). I was mainly trying to follow the description/illustration in the Monster Manual.

I think the principle trick with brown is to have plenty of pre-mixed options- for some reason, I find it's a tough colour to mix for myself without it just looking nasty. I do really like the P3 paints, and their selection of browns and muted greens is very handy.