Super Colossal Funtime EBay Thread!!

Bexley

And now, the ShoutBox falls silent.

Anyway, I started this thread to address both eBay questions/experiences, as well as the general business aspects of selling figures and commission work. I'm not entirely familliar with Wyrd's ToS on this, but I'm just going to go ahead anyway and put a "NO POSTING EBAY AUCTION LINKS OR USING THIS THREAD TO BUY/SELL MINIATURES" disclaimer here.

<demonherald> @bexley That's the thing ..I believe the IRS checks paypal activity now??? may be wrong there but it's just too big a thing for them not to get there greedy mitts on...

I hadn't heard that. It wouldn't surprise me, though, as it's essentially a bank. I wonder how much oversight PayPal has- I would assume that PP assets wouldn't be FDIC insured. I know there have been attempts to get eBay to give up transaction information, but eBay has so far escaped attempts to force them to do so by stating that they are simply providing a place for buyers and sellers to do business, much like a shopping mall does for brick and mortar stores, and shopping malls aren't required to hand over detailed financial information on how much business the stores that rent space from them are doing.

It was something that was posted to users here in the UK at least.. it mentioned that IRS monitor activity and the same will be true of our very own inland revenue shortly..I believe start of next tax year..They are masking it as a way to prevent identity fraud and money laundering but we all know the truth is there is a big piece of cherry pie floating about ad they want a piece..

I don't suppose it affects painters so much initially as they are small fry compared to the millions that are made selling electrical goods etc..Currently there are so many ways around the law that I suppose control of a sort is needed...for example I know a local asian guy who sells i pods and mobile phones on ebay..He is a student .. not registered as a business and turns over £1500 plus a week and doesn't pay a penny tax or NI....

regards painting I have registered myself purely to avoid any legal trip ups further down the line as is the nature of these things.. all goes well then along com HM customs and revenue with a bill for the last 6 years traced income plus admin fees..it really isn't a big deal doesn't take long to set up keep the paperwork straight and pay each month done.. it actually works ot well as a lot of things turn out as deductable as a buisness ,,paints brushes minis , postage internet more..also when Ill like I am currently and unable to paint I don't make a penny..however beibg registered and having the right insurance policy means the blow is softened a lot and food stays on the table.

it's a whole grey area in some respects that has grown out of control and will inevitably be controlled as is the nature of anything involving money..

Not to mention, a tax ID allows you to buy from some wholesale distributors at a pretty significant discount, and it allows you to avoid sales tax (in the US, at least) on some of your supplies. You might even be able to buy at net 30, which might come in handy for commissions.

But I agree- I'd rather be legit from the get-go than get hit with a big penalty five years later.

I wrap minis in tissue and bubble wrap until they slide nicely inside a section of 60mm postal tube, pack the ends with more tissue and bubble warp then hot glue cardboard ends on. I have also sent some space marine squads in 90mm tube packed in sideways. All have arrived safely

Here in Australia the tax office already has the power to get ebay records, they have been targeting large volume sellers for a couple of years now.

Wow, how a single comment sparket such discussion:tongue2: Anyway, when I said "studio" I just meant two or more people painting for eBay and sharing the profit's :)

Squig

Yep it's a funny way the law works here but those named as "insert name..Studio" would be more likely targeted by tax officials.

as for packing good old Tissue paper padded out to fit package with bubble wrap..

I had my own box pattern cut a few years back at a local firm and just top upfrom them ..nice strong cardboard and a reasonable size for a single mini or two depending on sticky out bits...

I hang on to any clamshells I get with my minis, and if I need to ship any I wrap them in facial tissue put them in the clamshell, then wrap the clamshell in bubble wrap and mail it all in a box with styrofoam peanuts.

Granted this only works if it fits in a clamshell, otherwise I wrap it in tissue and bubble wrap and mail with peanuts. :D

Wow, how a single comment sparket such discussion:tongue2: Anyway, when I said "studio" I just meant two or more people painting for eBay and sharing the profit's :)

Squig

If it was a now and then thing, that'd be fine- but I'm hoping to do it part time as an extra source of income. Which makes sharing profit difficult, since it means employees or independent contractors and all kinds of headaches.

Though, something more along the lines of an internet version of a traditional artists' co-op (ugh- the hardcore free-market capitalist in me just punched the rest of me in the face for using the term "co-op") might be much more manageable. Essentially, it'd be a central location for each of the "members" to post their recent works and auction links, and ocntact info for commissions. Each person would be responsible for their own auctions, record-keeping, et cetera.

As eastman said, I really like the polyfill. Wrap the piece in tissues, bulking out a bit around the things that stick out, then I bury the whole thing in polyfill, wrap that in something like paper towel or bubble wrap if i have some, and use plastic grocery bags scrunched up on the bottom and around that to fill up the space. Seems to have worked well so far. I also, in the past, used foam cushion material...big 6 inch green stuff, that I would cut space inside it and pack the mini in that after the tissues. It also works well, but I found the polyfill better able to cushion without breaking something as it has the give and softness needed, but supports it well if you use enough.

As I only ship priority...the Post Office hands me free boxes, I can print my shipping labels (I have a scale at home), and I have a stash of customs forms.

As for the business side of things...I have a notebook where I put in all my expenses and all my purchases--and hand that in to our accountant. ;-) Never owed anything on that side of things, but then I don;t sell a huge amount every year. I have a business card and can point to my website as proof of business and can get deals at some places because of that if i wanted to. Other than that, I'm not registered as a business, and my accountant says I don't need to at the level I'm at--he'll let me know if I get high enough to matter.

Well, you only really *need to register as a business if you do business under another name- you can do business under your own name without having to register anything. Or, if you want to get a business bank account or a loan. I think that requires registering too.

@PaintMinion: I'm surprised that you don't make enough to pay taxes. I was always under the impression that any source of income over $400 has to be declared and taxed. I figured out of anyone here, you'd make at least that much before deducting expenses.

Or do you mean by "not owing" that the income isn't so much that it overtakes your taxes paid in via other sources like income tax withheld.

I don't mean to sound like I'm questioning your honesty or your accountant's knowledge on the matter- I'm just surprised. I guess I thought you painted professionally much more than maybe you actually do. Or (more likely) my knowledge of self-employment taxation isn't what I thought it was.

Yes, I do make only a bit more money than that, but my expenses are also much higher, and I'm talking the overall taxes paid out at tax time for our family. Remember that I don't do this as a living, just doing whatever commissions I like, which have been only the Dark Sword and occasional Reaper in the last couple years, as well as stuff I kept but didn't sell. THIS year, as I am selling off quite a bit more than usual, that balance may slip the other way, but then it's offset by the huge medical bills that cancer brings, and will bring over the next few years.