Khador Widowmakers and WIP Alexia

Malebolgia

Khador Widowmakers

Finally finished them! They were the first unit I bought. A good thing I finally painted them. The second of the left is the IK-RPG miniature so I don't have any double miniatures in the unit.

The unit was a lot of fun to paint and especially the chick (one of Kev White's finest sculpts ever) was super. The face just painted itself). Only 2 more models to paint before next Saturday to play fully painted...Alexia and Alten Ashley.

widowmakers_small.jpg

(click image for bigger picture)

Alexia

Another brilliant sculpt by Kev White! I went for wild and sweet colors. Maybe not the best choice for a hardcore Steampunk setting, but very cool to do and I like the effect so far. I saw in the photos that the metallics need some work here and there but I like where they are going. I went for the 'French way':

-Basecoat Boltgun Metal

-Wash with Chaos Black

-Wash with Bestial Brown

-Wash with Snakebite Leather

-Wash with Chaos Black (to make the deepest shades darker).

-Highlight with Mithril Silver.

It's important that the washes are carefully placed and not over the complete metallic areas (just in the shaded parts) and that you don't use an overloaded brush (I use toilet paper to suck up excess fluid).

The cloak will have a freehand on it but I am doubting what freehand I shall choose. Maybe you guys can help me out. The choices:

1. A band of thorns at the lower part of the cloak with some roses.

2. A fully thornpattern on the whole cloak with roses.

So what idea do you prefer?

In addition, I am doubting whether to paint the rips in her cloak in black or dark red. Any ideas? Thanks.

alexiaWIP.jpg

As you can see I have chosen to use a blue background and I think it ROCKS. The colors are spot on and don't need any work in Photoshop.

Update!

I have now finished the face, hair, upper part of the sword and the top of her clothes. The regular metallics still need some work to make them a bit more subtle, so no worries there.

I am very happy with the face (painted in the 'French way') and together with the makeup, beautymark and dyed hair that is loosing its colour I think she looks really wrong already :D

alexiawip2.jpg

The rips in the cloak should be dark red. As for the free hand pattern, what about ivy or some sort of rose? If you're going to do her in a completely different way than what she's expected to look like, why not play with expectations all the way?

As for the "French Way", it's the technique used by a number of french painters (namely the members of Team Toulouse) - it's something like thinning your paint to a glaze transparency/consistency medium, then soaking up the fluid and thus working with very, very, very faint paint. It takes a bit of time to paint when using it, but the results speak for themselves...

Alexia is finished (okay, for 99% ;))

Finally finished. What a terrific sculpt by Kev White! I loved painting her face and clothes and a lot of fun all around. I chose for a relatively simple freehand so it won't attract too much attention to the cloak.

I only forgot to shade the rips in her cloak...doh! So that 1% will be done tonight :D

alexia.jpg

I like the freehand motif you settled on, and it's nicely painted, also. Just trying to decide if I think it would look even spiffier if you added it to the edge of the upper part of the cloak too. It's very interesting to see such a different take on this figure. I like the blue and how you've painted it quite a lot, I think the brightness of the reddy-pink is throwing me a little. The skin looks fantastic, very warm and natural. Metals are also very nice. Maybe a glaze or two on some of the skulls so they have a bit of differentation? (I figure not everyone has the same exact bone colour and not every bone would weather the same, but I admit I haven't done extensive studies on that or anything. ;->)

Ill be the first to say that the blue looks striking. The cloak is painted bery well in the blue section, Im not too keen on the depth of colour on the red part, it looks pink in places and thats not one of my fav colours! Personal choice though. Also the freehand looks a little out of place in my view, I dont like the green. Maybe if it was done in the blue it wouldn stand out as much.

I know I have criticised a little and I apologise, I feel that this mini is very well done and so far most of the comments have, sometimes a little too harshly, a lot of critique. "heavy" comments on such a good looking and well painted mini rattles me a bit.

The face is GD quality and the metallics look lovely and grainy. I think you done a cracking job Maley. Good stuff.

I'l start with the face being very well done. The shading, mole and makeup really incredible. The execution is perfect but I feel the eyeshadow & lipstick colour, coupled with that mole makes her looked older.

Another thing that is bothering me is the colour choice. The pastel blue and the pink distracts from the rest of the model. You see the soft colours clashes with the gritty look of the metallic armor. As for the freehand you could have gone with something which reflects her faction.

Overall I feel its very well painted just that you didn't have enough planning to utilize your skills. Similarly with callumrice, I hope I don't sound harsh.