WIP Bhakoth

Malebolgia

bhakoth2.jpg

Heya,

I am painting this big fella for Andy of Heresy. I did not want to paint him red (I already use too much red) or black and chose for bright green. The body is now almost done and then I will do the hands with axes.

Any ideas for the axe-blades? I was thinking about dark purple with maybe some superbright red blood (like in the comic Spawn).

Very nice - have to admit I'm a bit surprised that you are doing the head and hands separate from the body paint wise but that's just me as I would cock it up good if I did that myself.

What are you planning for the wings?

As for the axes, might be a good miniature to try out that blood splatter thing Duende did a bit back.

Very nice! I have just received this mini's cousin, Azhroth the falle one (which may explain why he is standing and not flying!) as a commission. The client wants it red, but your green looks superb! I think vike hit the naul on the head though, especially with the purple loincloth!

Thanks guys!

@Daddy: yeah....what to do with the wings...I don't have a clue. Basically I didn't think about them and was probably paint them green until some other people also asked about the wings. I don't have a clue! But I'll see where it goes. I guess a dark color so it contrasts well with the bright green and won't draw attention from the main figure.

Aren't you afraid that, with light-ish wings, he'll look too bright and happy? Also, it might be good to use some coloured glazes to give the skin some interesting colour, especially in the deeper recesses, like the armpits and under the chest muscles. Red or purple spring to mind for this.

But the green look nasty!

John

• 2 weeks later...

Because of chronical lazyness a copy-paste from the FoD:

Lord Bhakoth

bhakoth_finished1.jpg

bhakoth_finished3.jpg

bhakoth_finished2.jpg

bhakoth_base.jpg

Pfew! Finished in the nick of time...now I hope the mailman will be fast enough to send it to Andy fast enough so you guys can see it at Salute.

This dude was a big project for me (in fact the biggest I have ever done!). He took me many, many hours and I will not paint green again for a long time :D. The green itself was quite easy to paint, but this was mainly due to the fantastic sculpt. Kudos to Andy for that!

I am very happy with the bone axes and the metallics on them. The colors are what I wanted (not yellowish bone, but more greyish). I painted the fire effect in reverse on the pentagram because it looks better this way. If I'paint the inside yellow, the points of the pentagram wouldn't be very obvious to spot and this way it pops.

The main thing that REALLY frustrated me were the wings. I paint by feathering with thinned glazes to blend in two colors. Somehow the grey tones diluted again once I went over them with black paint and thus the blends took ages to do and I almost wanted to throw him out of the window out of frustration. But in the end I am happy with the wings. I went for a very subtle grey to leave the wings almost black. With black, less is usually more.

The base was awesome to do. I glued four Heresy heads and two hands to the base and then covered it with Procreate. With the backside of 2 brushes (a small and a bigger one) I made the wave-like identations. I then painted the base VGC Bloody Red and then gave it a very thorough cover of TCR+Purple Ink+Black. To speed the drying time I placed it under a 100watt lamp. This caused all the tiny air bubbles to appear...perfect! I think the base fits a big angry demon very well.

And now quickly to the postal service...