Gunk - Liquitext Slow-Dri

Thryth

Hello,

So I've been using "gunk" to thin my paints lately (around the past 6 months), and now believe that I was using the wrong Slow-Dri. I was read somewhere that the slow-dri in the orange bottle is what you should be using, but I have been using the green bottle one! I'm sure this explains why I am not yet a master miniature painter! ;) Um, well, in any case...

Does anyone know where I might find this elusive, orange bottled Slow-Dri? I haven't found it in Michaels or AC Moore.

Thanks

It's not really an orange bottle but just two orange lines across the label. I use this and it's good stuff. I found it in a regular art store, and I don't think it should be too hard to find. Look up art supply stores in your neighbourhood and check if they have Liquitex products. Either you will find it there or they might be able to get it for you.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the difference is one is a liquid, and one is a gel. Most people seem to prefer the liquid for miniature painting, though I seem to recall a few folks who use the gel. Any other liquid flow improver should work just as well. The W&N one is the one I've heard most recommended, but lots of folks use the craft ones like Folk Art. Reaper now makes a flow improver if you've got someone who sells the Master Series line of paints in your neck of the woods. I don't hear people talk about Golden much, but that's another art supply company you'll sometimes see their stuff in art stores as well as craft stores.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI for anyone who cares (not that I imagine that anyone would, but...)

I found an art supply store near where I work that has the special, orange-striped bottle! It makes a different gunk than the green-striped one.

I think it is better in most ways, but I think that I actually like the gel for a few things.

Thanks for the help!