Computer problems - Hijacked to Disgusting Foods

cdukino

Hi, Just to let you all know, should you be intrested why I am likely to make very few appearances here for X-time to come. My computerscreen or graphic card or something connected desided to go nuts. Meaning 80% of the time I don't even see half of the stuff on my screen (digital noise or whatever... screws up the image)...So I need to get that fixed somehow but I have no clue what is causing it (we reinstalled and cleaned the grafic card but that didn't help long). So I'm writing this at work.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(sorry this is in dutch people.)

heb je een ouderwets stijl scherm of een flatscreen (lcd of tft) scherm ?

ben je de kabeltjes nagegaan - geprobeert met andere kabeltjes ?

ben geen computer expert trouwens, maar ik had ooit een zelfde soort probleem en dat had te maken met het kabeltje. ook kan het scherm doorgebrand zijn (geloof ik, maar dan zou je 100% van de tijd niks zien volgens mij.) dan moet die vervangen worden.

anyway good luck with it cindy!

I tried:

* on and off for the screen

* restarting the computer (multiple times)

* replugging all wires/plugs to see if they were fastened well enough

* taking out the grafical card and cleaning the whole stuff surround it and the card itself (blowing off dust)

* I don't know for sure if my boyfriend tried reinstalling the grafical card

It is a flatsceen (no clue what kind... it isn't mine (neither is the computer) and as long as it works I couldn't care less ;) )

(and so no... due to that I didn't try the hitting possibility ;) )

The distortion isn't always there and doesn't always look the same though it's mostly on the same spot in the same places (like a couple of coloms (6 in total) running over the whole hight of the screen (vertically) with about a colom in between with good vision. It flickers, makes brighly coloured lines and dots and sometimes disapears when I open a new window (wel for a few seconds that is), sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the flaw it there at the moment I restart the computer already, sometimes it gently shows itself within a few minutes (startign with a few distortions and then getting worse and then jumping into half screen filled with distortion in the coloms again).

I plan to try connecting another screen to it. If the flaw does repeat itself it's likely the grafical card or the cables. If the problem is solved by doing that... it was the screen itself.

If it's not the monitor you could try a System Restore. It's under Start --> All Programs ---> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Restore (using Windows XP)

I've used it on an older computer I used to have when it would glitch up. And Restores are reversible. (keep in mind, I'm no computer expert)

But I'd recommend checking the monitor first. Good luck!

Flatscreen. But the strange thing is that the distortion leaves at times and isn't always the same. It often goes away when I put a window on the beam below and then pop it up again. like it cleans itself. Also moving a screen over the distortion occasionally seems to whipe some of the distortion away, like going over it with a cloth. That's why I am thinking the chance of it being my graphical card and not the screen itself is a very plausable option as well. If the screen itself was the thing that's broken. Wouldn't the distortion be steady and on the same place every time and constant?

Peter will connect the screen to his laptop tonight if he can find the time to see if the screen is the problem... and will take the grafical card out of an old computer we have and replace the one in my current computer with it. That should give an answer i think.

Its defo your monitor, its on the blink. I had the same problem a couple of months ago, got one of my friends to have a look (he is an IT Technician) and said instantly "new monitor needed".

Does it happen randomly, but becoming more frequent? If so it was the same as mine, it would be ok sometimes for hours on end, then sometimes you couldnt bloody use it at all. At first I thought it was an overheating problem but once I binned the monitor for a cheap alternative hey presto, works great.

If its not your monitor Ill eat my paint brush. :-)

It's the monitor. I've had pretty much the same issue happen to me both at work and at home. Replacing the monitor fixed it. I described the problem to my husband (IT professional for 15 years now) and he immediately said it's the monitor. Try just switching out the flatscreen for a different monitor for a few days before you try messing around with the graphics card or a system restore.

Does it happen randomly, but becoming more frequent? If so it was the same as mine, it would be ok sometimes for hours on end, then sometimes you couldnt bloody use it at all.

If its not your monitor Ill eat my paint brush. :-)

Yep, exactly that. I think you guys might be right (but unfortunatly i will need to seomehow get a replacement screen then. I only have a very huge heavy damages crappy one... and new flatscreen ain't cheap.

But I will get you some ketchup just in case... they say that goes wel with medium rare brushes ;)

Cindy, the HCC computer days are in the weekend of the 28th of this month. Is Peter going by any chance? I may be there (I'm a HCC member) and if you want I can have a look at what's available.

Bye, Ming-Hua

P.s. Callumrice: carefull when asking for "brown sauce" over on this side of the canal. Here it just means a sauce with a brown colour. Still, you're in luck as there is a British food specialties store in Eindhoven. :)

No. I don't think either of us will be going. And I think peter, being a computer man himself wants to pick it out himself (if he hasn't thought about it already. But knowing Peter he will probably go look for one after this one died and doesn't let itself be reanimated even after kicking it ;) . But knock on wood... the last 3 days the screen has been behaving with the very rare glitch.

P.s. Callumrice: carefull when asking for "brown sauce" over on this side of the canal. Here it just means a sauce with a brown colour. Still, you're in luck as there is a British food specialties store in Eindhoven. :)

WHAT????? No brown sauce??! What kind of ramshackle backward country are you living in??!! Next youll be telling me you dont put mayo on your chips! Pah!:ahhhhh:

Next youll be telling me you dont put mayo on your chips! Pah!:ahhhhh:
Mayo on chips? Well, we say we do, but we're actaully way past that. What we have is "frietsaus" which is like mayonaise but less fat and optmised for fries. Foreign friends sometimes ask me to bring a bottle when I visit them.

Other things we put on chips: smikkelsaus (mayonaise based, sweet-sour), piccalyli (sour veggie mix), satésaus (peanutbuttersauce), stoofvlees (meat stew), curry (spicy ketchup mix) and oorlog (peanutsauce + mayonaise + onions, mayonaise + ketchup + curry + peanutsauce + onoins or mayonaise + pindasaus + currysaus + onoins depending on where you ask for it). Things we don't put on fries: brown sauce. ;)

By the way, the french also have a nice combi. You take a baguette (long french bread), cut it in two, layer if with warm meat, cover that with fries and top it up with a sauce. Good gaming evening food. :)

Bye, Ming-Hua

Peanut butter sauce on fries, I could go for some of that. I've had it on sweet potato fries, and it was amazing. Though sweet potato fries on their own are pretty tasty. Fries + bread sounds a bit over the top on the carbs to me, though.

America is sadly behind the times in fry enjoyment technology, I find. Not that English Canadians are really innovators, but inspired by the French Canadian poutine (fries, gravy and curds of fresh cheese is the basic kind, but I've been places where the basic idea of putting things on fries morphed into dozens of variations), some progress had been made in English Canada by the time I moved to the US. Now I'm lucky to find cheese or cheese sauce on fries. How I miss the tasty treats of New York Fries (misnamed Canadian company), or Lick's creamy fries with sour cream, cheese and chives, and a few other tasty ingredients. Sigh.