DrEvilmonki Ironpainter WIP

DrEvilmonki

Unfortunately family life will restrict my entry. Originally going to be a unit of bane knights by PP on display base. Half finished the base but as I said other things have come up.

Not to worry I will do just a single bane knight now and do the rest as a ongoing project.

Here is my first WIP pic. I am doing the armour as a NMM bronze. You will see one plate on the chest is done as I wanted to make sure I could achieve something reasonable having not atempted such a thing before. I am pretty happy with the results.

ironpainter1.jpg

The armour is a base of raw umber+ olive green ink. Highlight by adding white, then a bit more white then straight white.

Over that was a thin glaze of Olive green ink. Then stipling of green/blue crayon mixed in a bit of water, then a mix of bright green crayon+olive green for in the cracks and crevices.

Then picking up the bright highlights with white again

Well I have finished the brass armour on the body and have done my test section on the steel. Will probably tweek the rust a little bit.

All the flat blue sections will end up rusty steel.

I should have everything on the body done by tomorrow night, then I will do the arms.

ironpainter2.jpg

Oh and I seem to have missed that top scale with the rust.

The other thing I am going to try and do before the close off is get a light tent. The slight reflection on the armour is really irking me.

Slow hand clap for Supervike. :laugh:

Don't you worry your pretty little head about it, I will be finished.

@FF. They are water soluble artists crayons so I just mix them up as a sort of wash/glaze/stipple. I just like the finish when they dry as it looks different to paint, more pastelly/waxy.

I use oil pastels for the rust effect, just scrape off a fine powder. I have since been shown a link to a historics website where they use similar techniques but using straight powdered pigment, so I am going to try that next.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw05.htm

I'm against Dr.Evilspankey... ;)

And I really like what you did with the model. Definitely one of the coolest Bane Knights I've seen. I have some criticism about some elements, but I'll save that for after the contest...don't want to influence the judges in any way :)

Cool job anyway...and If I might loose, I know I had an excellent opponent!

• 3 weeks later...

No smack talk today because to be perfectly honest I have hit a wall trying to figure out what the hell tattoos to put on this little plastic bastard!

I finally decided I had better at least achieve SOMETHING tonight or I will never finish him. So since I don't plan on tattooing his face I thought I could at least do that. Quick pic follows.

beastmanface.jpg

Fortunately he is a straight forward enough chap to paint so once I sort my shit out I will still have plenty of time to crush my opponent and have a relaxing evening thinking about lesser painters crying at their own inadequacies.

Oh wait it seems I do have some smack left after all! :)