NEWS: new P3-line paints

Mike MCVey is devolloping a new line of paints... the P3 line for Privateer press as fat as I understood it.

This is what the man (McVey) writes about it in the forum:

"Just thought I’d chime in on this topic and tell you some of the thoughts and aims behind the P3 line.

One of the main questions I have been hearing from people is “Why release another paint line in a market that already has more than enough?” The simple answer is - because we thought we could do it better. The Formula P3 line comes from a desire to create a product that satisfies all the key elements that I look for in miniature paints - and I’m pretty choosey…

I’ve been involved with the design and development of miniature paints for over sixteen years now - in that time I have designed five complete ranges, two of which have formed the backbone of the hobby since the early nineties. There have always been things that I wish I had done differently though - so P3 was my chance to rectify that, and design what I considered to be the best range out there. I firmly believe we have done that.

So what’s so great about them? Well quite a lot really…

Opacity - the coverage on most of the range is amazing, even on some of the colours that are usually poor for this, like bright red. Have a go with Khador Red Base and you’ll see what I mean – even over black undercoat it covers incredibly well while still retaining brightness of colour. If there is a bright red miniature paint out there that covers as well as this - I have yet to see it. The majority of colours in the range will only need one coat for total coverage – even when thinned.

Smooth application – No grainy or chalky pigment here, P3 goes very smoothly. The finish is ever so slightly satin, which means that it’s harder wearing when dry. Paints that are dead flat matte finish, tend to wear off edges easily and also pick up dirt.

Great technical characteristics – No I’m not trying to blind you with science here, it’s just a complex way of saying that they make your life easier. They don’t “split” (this is where the pigment separates from the carrier) when you thin them with water. They are also a dream to blend with.

Longer life – I’m still painting with some pots of P3 that I cracked the seal on years ago (yes they have been in development for that long). Keep the lid fitting well, and they will last you for a long, long time. There is also very little or no separation in the pots – it’s always a good idea to give them a quick shake before using, but it’s not vital, and there is certainly no need to put any “agitators” in there to mix things up.

Talking of pots - we have gone for a traditional design with flip-top lids (18ml fill before you ask). The reason for this is that it’s still the best design I have seen - they allow you to flip the tops half way open and paint out of the lid. That means you can see exactly how much paint your getting on your brush and the excess drips back into the pot, not round the rim.

You may think from the initial release that P3 is aimed at beginners – while it’s certainly true that giving new painters base and highlight shades of key colours, is going to make there life easier - it goes further than that. Those colours are designed to be inter-mixed to give endless varieties of shade and highlight. They can be further mixed with other colours and even inks (watch this space) to create any effect you want.

These six sets are just the start of the P3 line – from this point we are going to build a comprehensive range. We’re going to keep it nice and compact though, probably somewhere between sixty and eighty. There will be specific colours (the ones that are difficult to mix and can’t be highlighted easily) in two shades – but those shades will be far enough apart to give you a huge variety of options. We didn’t want to fall into the trap of giving you shade and highlight versions of every colour – if we did, we would end up with an enormous range. Don’t get me wrong though – there will be enough colours in the range to give you highlight and shade options for everything, they just won’t come pre-mixed.

I’m not expecting people to immediately drop their old paints and switch to these - but speaking as a miniature painting fanatic, I do urge you to try them. I’m sure you are going to love them. I can honestly say that in all the years I have been painting (over 25 now), this is the best range I have used - and that’s not a sales pitch, it’s an honest opinion.

Ali (PPS_Fluffy, who played a large part in the development of this line) and I are going to be running painting demonstrations at GenCon with these paints - so if you are there, come along and I will answer your questions directly."

Apparently a lot of people don't line the flip-top lids. I personally however would prefer them over dropper-bottles. I never liked them on valejo either (they always get clogged and so on). But the makers aren't gonna be convinced to do dropper-bottles no matter what... flip top lids it remains.

The first six sets release in October. They are mentioned in the upcomming release list too at the privateer press website.

October 2006

PIP 93001 Formula P3 Cygnar Colors

PIP 93002 Formula P3 Protectorate of Menoth Colors

PIP 93003 Formula P3 Khador Colors

PIP 93004 Formula P3 Cryx Colors

PIP 93005 Formula P3 Mercenary Colors

PIP 93006 Formula P3 Iron Kingdoms Colors

I will try them out, but I still think another paint line wasn't necessary. I have just switched from Citadel to Vallejo and I don't think I will switch to P3 now. But if they have some good colors anc coverage I am interested in some colors. In addition, if they have the foundry system (shade, base color and highlight in one package) that will be interesting to try them out.

I am surprised by the fliptops though! Hope they are better than the Citadels (although they are okay, I still think they are no match to the Coat d'Arms ones).

I'm beginning to think Opacity is not really that great a quality.

I already get amazing coverage with vallejo paints. Problem now is sometimes its too much coverage. If I want real gradual and smooth color transitions, I will sometimes pick a GW paint instead because I lay down a layer and can't really see that I've done anything. Good for very gradual build up.

I put down a layer of vallejo yellow and I have a sharp line where it ends and the base is uncovered.

• 1 month later...