@#$!@#$@% I got a ticket ...

I used to live right by an onramp to 280 in San Jose (San Tomas expressway exit - across from the Safeway). During morning rushhour you would enter a traffic jam just getting out of the driveway. There was a light at the bottom of the ramp and another at the top of the ramp. It was always fun when a motorcycle cop would park on the ramp. He could just walk over to cars waiting on the ramp and hand them tickets for breaking the anti-gridlock laws (edging into the intersection under a yellow light when there is nowhere to go on the other side). Then for about a month afterward the traffic would be smooth until people forgot, the traffic jammed up again, and the cop showed up to hand out more tickets.

Oog... traffic tickets. I've gotten three... they were all several years ago, though. For the first one, I was in high school, in this insanely ugly green car that I bought from my grandmother. To make matters worse, I had one of my classmates in the car, and a bunch of cans in the back to take to the recycle station for a fundraiser and it was in an area I'd never been in before. I guess that car stood out like a sore thumb, I've gotten most of my tickets while driving it. The other two tickets were dumb speeding tickets. I haven't gotten any tickets after I moved to Arizona. Yay.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have had 2 tickets in my life. The 1st was for doing 35 in a 25, cop reduced it to 30 in a 25. I took it to court to fight it and the judge tossed it out because the cop did not file the ticket within 48 hours. The second one was my fault, but I still took it to court and had it reduced.

Natan, I would fight it if I was you. You don't need that on your record. I can understand though, the whole not wanting to take off work thing.

Your fine for not wearing a seatbelt is only $21? Crap, here it is like $130 and there is no reason to take it to court, as they will not drop it or reduce it. They will even pull you over if you are not wearing your setbelt. They don't joke around about that kind of stuff here, heck they will fine passengers for not wearing a setbelt.

Same thing here! Strange thing that it's even needed...

Never underlook the power of stupidity.

A few days ago, they dismantled here a group that organized for people to get their drivers licence for sure. Most of the people that were paying twice to three times the usual price didn't even know how to read and write!!!

My cousin once told me that the commuter roads in the Washington DC area were so dangerous because people, being bored of driving straight for hours, would take out a book and read while driving !!!

I'm just going to pay the ticket actually and be done with it. I was telling my father about what my wife and I had heard from co-workers or neighbors about getting fined extra for this or that and he thought that was odd and was talking about it at work when two of the older fellows he works with pipped up and said they had the same problems, or someone in their family had.

So essentially it seems if you bother the courts, which I think is your right since they are the ones saying 'if you disagree, come to court', they see it as a waste of time and just up the fines on you.

Not worth my trouble. Pissed about it, but not going to go and make the damn situation worse than it could be. Ah well, live and learn.

Oh, and Cedric, I've seen crap like that before, with people reading newspapers while driving, shaving, applying makeup .. etc. One of those things that I just wish that a tree would jump out and make their lives rather miserable whenever I see it.

Have you ever seen a car accident where the passengers weren't wearing their seatbelt? Not a pretty sight at all.

In France, they fine the driver if the passengers aren't wearing their seatbelt.

I have seen the aftermath of them. Not a nice sight.

That was the case here as well for a while but I guess the just decided to fine the person responsible.