EricJ - US Games Day Project

EricJ

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah yes, THAT Kara, nice work Cedric, real nice, although I would love to see better photos :)

Thank you :). Photographing her is my bane ... the paint is just plain dark and my camera doesn't seem to pick up the details :(. If I change camera or borrow a better one, I'll post the pics ;). If you checked the Wyrd gallery or the CMON post, I of course gave full credit to you for the reflection idea ;).

That is probably a really good idea for her feet, sort of have the machine taking over. Hah, anything to get rid of those ugly boots the original sculpt had.

It's just an idea. You have to resculpt her upper legs though. But I think it would let you add a few painting details that you master the secrets to paint ;).

I saw your comments :)

It was nice, your work was actually the first time I've seen anyone do that cyborg and anyone try reflections as well! :)

As for her legs, now you really got me thinking....damn you, all these things I really don't know if I can do in green...I guess it never hurts to try...but I am sort of liking the idea of her legs cut off right above the knee and just wires and tubes and stuff streaming out of her into the machine...

As for her legs, now you really got me thinking....damn you, all these things I really don't know if I can do in green...I guess it never hurts to try...but I am sort of liking the idea of her legs cut off right above the knee and just wires and tubes and stuff streaming out of her into the machine...

You've done conversions before and your have the necessary patience to make the GS smooth; all you need to do is break up the different sections and work by layers, letting each layer cure before you do the next. A quick sketch could help you with volumes too ;).

grrrrr, now I'm thinking it would look cool to have the arms cut similarly, you evil man! I think though this will be a huge improvement though if I can pull it off, I'm already mapping it in my head ;)

I guess it's about patience and doing it over and over until I'm happy with it.

My main problem is all that waiting for layers to cure :(

you evil man!

:firedevil

I guess it's about patience and doing it over and over until I'm happy with it.

Just in case, keep the cut off pieces in case you're not happy with the result :tongue2:. But yeah, patience is the key to it ;).

My main problem is all that waiting for layers to cure :(

Put the pieces in front of a powerfull lamp to cut down on curing time.

• 1 month later...

ok, new direction, just thinking abotu getting entries started for real for LA..

Here was my thought for:

Category 6 – Lord of the Rings Single Miniature

This category covers any single Lord of the Rings model mounted on a 25mm or 40mm base. This can include models on foot or mounted.

Gollum.gif

Gollum, and I know he's been done to death, BUT I think I might have something unique to offer, especially since it sounds like I can put him on a 40mm base...which gives a lot of room for water in front of him ;)

The question - From this, does it sound like I can mount him on a 40mm and have it qualify, even though he comes with a 25mm base? I'm not doing yet another version of gollum without my reflection, lol...

As much as I love the idea, I'd stear away from it if I were you. Jérémie's version is too well known :

gollum1.jpg

Knowing what you can do, I'm sure you could paint it up better than what he did in 2003, but I can already hear all the folks on Créafigs ranting that you took his idea. Some will say who cares, but trust me, it can get very ugly over there (and I am deaply ashamed of some of the members' attitude).

Plus, base wise, usually GW wants you to use the original base for the LotR category (it'd be best to check with the US trolls).

I do have another idea to submit to you. Why not do Goldberry walking on water ? : reflexion + OSL (she's got a candle in her hand) ;).

Remember the debacle over Trovarion's German GD entries a while back?

The funny thing though is that I prefered his version to what Rune did (I didn't care much for the head that was used) ... all he had to do was get rid of that flag and the ressemblance wouldn't have been so flagrant :P.

By the way Eric, how's the penitent engin coming along? I'm spending a week with my familly and then I've got another week of free time, so I should be getting back to my own GD entries soon :).

i don't think there was much idea behind that gollum jeremy did. It was done in three hours the night before the event for fun, so I don't think you risk too much by trying out somthing similar.

Plus you shouldn't let some *censored* spoil your fun of the hobby, do what you feel like and if some people don't like it..... to bad :P well my 2 cents anyway ;)

As much as I would like to agree with you Arthur, I see two things against it :

1) For an unknown reason of me, the french have become really negative on Créafigs (what they said about the spanish and what was implied on the italians was completely uncalled for). So I wouldn't be surprised if some of them ranted beyond reason;

2) What's the point in redoing something that has already been done when you're entering an artistic competition? I agree it could be painted better (in RL it is a lot better than what the picture shows though), but the idea has already been used. In GD UK 2005, I was quite disapointed that Jakob recycled his Adeptus Custodes. OK he got a demon (and it was well deserved), but it felt stale.

Just my 2 euro cents on the subject ;).

I hadn't seen that gollum, and yes, now that I have, I won't use the idea, it's too close.

Goldberry is interesting, although I was never super drawn to the sculpt, but looking at it, I think that may be because the paint job GW has is really quite bad. That definately could be an interesting idea...I don't remember, did she ever walk on water? The Candle with some OSL would probably work good though :)

As for the engine, it is coming along, I've pretty much resculpted the driver now. I've sort of started to think of this as my main UK GD entry, so I may start being a lot more closed mouth about it. I don't want it to become stale :D You all may just have to wait, and come to the UK to see it.

I don't remember, did she ever walk on water?

Not in the books, but on the other hand, Tom and her are supposed to be some kinds of gods/spirits, so technically it wouldn't be that surprising.

The Candle with some OSL would probably work good though :)

It had already been done though :P. I can't remember if it was GW, Alexi, or Margo ??? I'll look for it tonight.

I don't want it to become stale :D

;)

You all may just have to wait, and come to the UK to see it.

See you there ;).

Yeah, the problem with LOTR's catagories, is there are really only a handful of minis that are competition level sculpts, so I think pretty much EVERY one has been done before, lol. I may just have to live with that, and just try to do one better than done before, and I may even do gollum and reflection, but use one of the other models of him...we'll see.

Oh, oh, oh, I think I have a good idea, but it may be tricky to find the right Gollum. What about when (in the Two Towers) he's playing in the river near the falls (the day scene) splashing water everywhere. Reflexions can't be done on such a scene, but if you can get some scenic water to make the right splashes, it could be a very dynamic scene. Plus, it's one of the rare moments where Smeagol is more present than Gollum, and people have mostly been painting Gollum I think.

I know it's tricky and it's putting more the accent on diorama technic then on painting but it'd be fun to see IMHO.

Ok, my problem is that in general, most everything has already been done when it comes to the LOTR stuff - to be honest, I think the sculpts are crap, have no flair, and in general are just being slurped up by the folks that went ape over the movies (which, I will get hanged for, I thought just simply weren't all that).

In general, you have to either paint like a mutha or convert the hell out of anything that you do in order to wow the masses and to get some ideas. Eric, in this case I think you'll manage well. Do your reflection bit on atleast one of your entries and you'll grab some folks by the short hairs there. The whole GS conversion you are doing on your Penitent Engine is likely going to be that extra 'step' that is needed to win something with it.

Besides that, there is the idea that I floated to you yesterday which I think will win you one hands down. I'll keep my mouth shut on that one, but if you're looking for a 'ooooooh' factor, that will certainly appeal to a lot of people that enjoy the testosterone miniatures.

hmm, I only see 3 gollums, the one with the fish, the one climbing down the cliff, and then one other sort of crawling over rocks. Am I missing the one you've mentioned?

No, I guess that's all there is then ... to bad, would have been fun.

Oh, and I found that Goldberry I mentionned before, but it was done by mrika on CMON :

img410eac5d3f7b2.jpg