The Good, the Bad and the Ugly!

Nathan Caroland

Hey folks,

With my recent troubles with RAFM and what I have been learning about them throughout this morning publically and privately after having my little rant over RAFM, I thought it might be a good idea to create a thread specifically to recommend or warn off people from certain companies or online entitites.

Have someone that you have had a problem with, please post it here. Someone go above and beyond and you would happily recommend them, post it as well! I'm not interested in turning this into a shiat throwing contest, but I am curious to find out about some of the individuals within this industry and their ethics with running buisnesses.

Top companies - great customer service, and speedy delivery:

Heresy - Andy and Chris are top blokes (even if I don't order enough from them!)

Hasslefree - Sally and Kev - Fried Gold!

The Figure Trader - Steve has quick delivery and is a helpful bloke

Gamers-Quest - As helpful as it is possible to be!

top manufacturers that I have ordered from:

Eureka http://www.eurekamin.com.au/

Hasslefree http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/

Heresy http://www.heresyminiatures.com/

Newbold World http://www.newboldworld.com/welcome.html

Pulp Figures http://www.pulpfigures.com/

The Assaut Group http://www.theassaultgroup.com/

Top retailers that I have ordered from

Brigade Games http://www.brigadegames.com/

Gamers Quest http://www.gamers-quest.co.uk/

Spirit Games http://www.spiritgames.com/

And by top I mean people that respond timely to email, resolves problem with the order in a timely and satisfactory manner. And friendly too boot! I even got the odd free mini from some of them!

Good service also from

Foundry and West wind even if I complain about their postage costs everytime I mention them, like right now! 40%! ouch!

I don't really recall any bad experiences... even my run in with rafm didn't really sour me all that much. I'm rarely in a hurry to get my stuff so don't mind it much as long as they turn up eventually. That said, I'm a bit relutant to get some of the cthullu minis I want...

I tried emailing zombiesmith to ask about their zombies but got no reply. I'll try again when I have some more free time.

I also emailed wargames world to ask about their shipping costs but never got a reply.

I'd also like to recommend the CoolMiniOrNot Shop that I've never had problems with and keeps your order status online for handy reference, along with The War Store from which I've also gotten excellent service. Also, if you get the chance, scroll down the sidebar at The War Store's site and read the "Celebrity Endorsements". They're hilarious!

:cheer2:

RAFM www.rafm.com just got added to MY bad AND ugly list. Three weeks later and the product hasn't been shipped out but apparently is packaged (I, like Maya, don't believe that crap) and is ready to be sent, but would take several weeks to get to me.

Ummmm, I paid $7 for S&H, it better be overnight buddy.

Sadly, Ann had to put a phone call in this morning (I believe she had Maya muzzled and tied to the post so she couldn't get ahold of the phone) as several e-mails, from both of us, wen't unanswered. Rather irresponsible in my opinion.

Now, if anyone knows of a place that sells RAFM miniatures other than RAFM online, please let me know.

RAFM www.rafm.com just got added to MY bad AND ugly list. Three weeks later and the product hasn't been shipped out but apparently is packaged (I, like Maya, don't believe that crap) and is ready to be sent, but would take several weeks to get to me.

Ummmm, I paid $7 for S&H, it better be overnight buddy.

Sadly, Ann had to put a phone call in this morning (I believe she had Maya muzzled and tied to the post so she couldn't get ahold of the phone) as several e-mails, from both of us, wen't unanswered. Rather irresponsible in my opinion.

Now, if anyone knows of a place that sells RAFM miniatures other than RAFM online, please let me know.

How right you are Nathan. She said "Do you want me to call," and I snatched the phone. No way was I letting her talk to them...I might want to order myself something some day, and she can be memoriable at times.:)

Add New Wave to the top of your list to "Never Order From Again". It is beyond me how they can be Sooo BAD and CMON shop be so good. Boggles my mind.

The Virtual Alchemist is a real dog when it comes to emails and timely shipments. James is apparently a very sick man, but the business continues, despite the fact that his promised "help" seems to not exist. When I waited months for an order that I had paid in full, he sent almost an equal value of freebies, same range that I bought, to compensate, so that was very nice. Maybe I'd use again, but then again...

Legends-in-Time.com is top notch. Skip gives great service, great prices, and prompt communication.

Hmmm

Can't say I've had any bad experiences apart from postal crap.

Thumbs up to the Forum of Doom triumverate.

Heresy......great blokes, great range great service.

Spyglass......Steve's one of my favourite sculptors and the service from him is very good. Ordered a figure one day it came in the post the next. I'm sure the guy hand delivers them (unless he has little munchkin helpers).

Hasslefree.....second to none. Truely great guys that will do anything for you and with sincerity too. Oh and they make nice toys too.

Yes big thumbs up to Wyvern. Going above what is necessary to help out with the painting class and sending me a free piece of lead too.

It's things like that which helps restore my faith in humanity.

I don't mail order very often, but..

Hasslefree, Wonderful wonderful wonderful, I have ordered from them a couple of time, across the pond even and still lightning fast shipping! They Rock :rockon:

Bad Bad Bad, as we all know New Wave, :rocketwho I made the mistake years ago of ordering, then ordering again, and both times got royally screwed. Of course now I know that you can go on CMoN, start a thread, be told to PM Borg, have Him get nasty with you for starting a I have new wave thread, and then he will get your order shipped, even after waiting (I am not kidding) almost 6 months.

I reallly hate New Wave, they need to carry a disclaimer on their site stating how badly they SUCK. :blowup: :blowup: :blowup:

Ok Rant over, Whew, thanks I needed that.

Gin

(laughing)

I had the same experience, saw that the NewWave threads were disapearing (actually, a helpful PM from someone told me to 'look') and had a complete bitch fit about it over there on CMON. I believe it has been deleted by now and replaced by another ten or so since then.

Damn curious how they manage to stay in buisness - and why Borg continues to cover for them even if he isn't associated with them any longer. Ah well, CMON shop seems to be applauded, so Borg is doing right in that sense. Just don't understand the whole NW bit.

Heresy Miniatures, a BIG plus from me. They are not only the most friendly crowd I have ever met, they are very, very quick to respond to mails. When I talked to them, I always felt like having a conversation with a good friend, like I could tell them anything and they would understand what I meant. Also, they are first and only shop ever that sent me a bill with little absent-minded drawings on it :D

Battlefield berlin is a German shop but still...

They are alright and have never given me any hassle, and when I had to return some minis, they even offered me help per mail to fix them myself because they did not have any more of them :D I definitely recommend them; they do ship oversea too but I have no experience on how they handle it.

Also, they have an incredible selection. They sell Ilyad too by the way, but those take some time as they are directly ordered from France.

Probably because you are a 'known' painter. People that have reputations in this community tend to get treated different than Jill and John Peon.

I have ordered from Newwave before. I got half of my order and they didn't send me the rest. I took pictures and went to my credit union and filed a complaint. Took a bit of a fight but they gave me my money back, the bank not Newwave.

The only time I ordered from New Wave, it was an order for a whole three figures. I did eventually get all three, over the course of about three months, each figure arriving seperately. I placed the order in mid-March and the final mini arrived in about mid-June. And during all this time I was PM'ing borg, sending (unanswered) e-mails to New Wave and filing a complaint with PayPal. Never again!

Although, my friend John, who owns a local comic store, has never had a problem ordering from them, he tells me. BUT, he orders as a "retailer" and gets a special discount, so apparently, retailers get preferential treatment from New Wave, but anyone else can just suffer.

:AR15firin New Wave :rocketwho

**waiting for thread to be deleted** ( OH WAIT, thats the other place)

I'll talk about the "Positive"

The War Store kicks butt! Some of the quickest, best service I have gotten from ANY retailer.

Heresy Miniatures were also quick, friendly, and fast.

Brookhurst is one I have just dealt with. Surprised at how fast my order arrived, complete.

The CMoN store does a great job as well.

Hmmm, I don't know if they know me, or recognize me when I make orders, heck even my local game stores don't know me, lol, other than that I give them money. I guess I am getting "known" in some places, but the real advantage has been a free mini here or there to paint, not better customer service! haha

And the new Wave order was years ago, when my painting was poop,

I just mostly stick to the guys I know and I know will take care of me, or I'll call their cell phones, lol, like Borg and the warstore :)

I don´t mailorder very often, but my experiences:

positive

Reaper: Ordered a boxed set there and it got to me in about 3 days. That is a very very very rare super-fast shipment from Texas to Germany. Normally these things take about 10 workdays. I only paid for regular UPS shipping services and not the fastest one I actually got.

so-so

GW Mailorder Europe: They´re slow, It takes about 2 weeks to get a shipment from UK (where the warehouse is located) to Germany. But I got all my stuff. And this is the only place I know, where you can buy single minis out of boxed sets or multi-mini blisters. Very important if you´re a BloodBowl player, who doesn´t want to blow his money on "team boosters" to get a playable team (and then have a dozen minis or so you don´t need at all).

negatives

no negative experiences until now. At least none concerning minis or RPGs ...