Mosch washes a mini - quick guide for people that want to learn how to paint worse

Mosch

Yeah, I actually got some questions about the way I use washes, so I figured I'd write a tutorial here on a board that noone of those that asked me knows. Take that, you guys seeking wisdom!

This is the technique I have been using for all my washes and that can be seen on the skull worn on the belt by my Formor Fiend (http://www.coolminiornot.com/65065) or on the fur on my Persecutor's cape (http://www.coolminiornot.com/67795). I don't claim it's a great technique or that it is a good technique at all, but, you know, it's different from what the others do.

Of course it all starts with the basecoat. After the basecoat, I do all the highlights, no shades though (that's what we want to "wash in". Or do them at your own discretion and wash to darken the area. Or just, you know, do it because you can).

For the wash, I premix the paint I want to use as a wash (usually an ink, but it works equally well with normal acrylic paints) and thin it down 1:1, enough that it doesn't show brush strokes, not so thin that it runs though. Then I wet the area I want to wash with my washing mix (Erdal Glänzer : Water 1:5, you might want to use future floor wax or whatever you like to use to break surface tension) - not too much, we don't want the paint to run off. Then just apply the premixed paint liberally, but not too thick - you don't want to cover the area. The paint should flow on it's own, a little at least. Now clean your brush and top it all off with another layer of your washing mix, brushing roughly into the recesses. Wait until it has dried, then reapply the highlights as needed.

Yes. Well. Just wrote that for, you know, because I can't sleep. By the way, I did answer any questions I got about the washes I do personally, it were only 2 after all.