New to the Thunders! Looking for some initial advice.

FoundryWorker

Hello all - got about 7 games of Malifaux under my belt. Focused mainly on Mei Feng; really enjoying her 'ride the rails' abilities. I started going in the direction of Arcanists, and have a few crews on that side (mainly due to getting an amazing deal on some second hand plastic), but have decided that I really want to build into Thunders and make them the faction I focus my attention on getting better at. I've currently got Mei (full Foundry build) and Lucas (Nightmare Ed. and One Born Every Minute).

I'm looking to pick up Misaki/Last Blossom and am considering her Core Box and Crime Syndicate - I love her aesthetic. What do people recommend as the best initial boxes to grab for Misaki beside core and Crime Syndicate. I'm debating Thunder Archers, Lords of War, or Karmic Debt. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Fun choices! As a heads up, some people will say that Mei Feng "runs better" under Arcanists but don't listen to them. She is plenty strong in Ten Thunders. That Metal Golem is a great pick-up, especially if you get the one associated with the Nightmare Box.

Specific to Last Blossom, she has a lot more freedom to run Versatile models than Mei Feng, so keep that in mind. She just doesn't need her keyword, which gives you much more flexibility in how to run her. My personal thoughts (based on my playstyle:

• Crime Syndicate: I did not regret this purchase, but the Crime Bosses take a few games to figure out. They can play several roles. Yamaziko is mostly a buff-bot. She always dies easily for me... but to be fair, Last Blossom as a keyword is "glass cannon." Expect to lose pieces, and try to take out more than you lose.
  • Lords of War: I personally don't like this box. The Brothers don't look impressive, and Fuhatsu is cool, but there may be better options. I much prefer Silent Strike box. The Lone Swordsman is fun, and the Samurai are amazing. They also add much-needed durability to the list, and Samurai do benefit from Yamaziko.
  • Thunder Archers: This is the only purchase that I regret making. They get engaged by the opponent then sit on their thumbs until they die. The Snipers are better if you want ranged models, as are the Samurai.
  • Karmic Debt: Very fun to run. Wanyudo gives some mobility when you need it, though unnecessary when you have Mei Feng and Misaki. Minako Rei is pretty decent, and works well when you have more models that can produce the Shadow Markers. The Summons are not that strong, but they are annoying for the opponent to deal with, and Minako herself can pack a punch. Just remember to hold a few extra Soulstones when you build the list to guarantee the suit. I usually do the 2 Summons on Turn 1 using the Shadow Markers from Misaki.  
  • Thanks 1

@FoundryWorker Let's ignore the fact that Shenlong was my first Master, simply because it was the only one available at the time.

What drew me to this faction is the breadth of Versatile models. I loved the dragons and Samurai. My 2nd Master was Misaki (Core box) and I picked up Fuhatsu (as a single used model at the time when he was a stronger Henchman), Dawn Serpent, and Shadow Emissary. Shortly after, I picked up the 3 Samurai (used) and Karmic Debt.  So keep that in mind - we may have different interests in the faction aesthetics which impact purchases. If I could only buy 2 boxes, it would be the Dawn Serpent and Silent Strike. The Dawn Serpent has won me plenty of games because it's hyper-mobile, it doesn't die, it self-heals, and it has respectable damage output. And I've enjoyed everything in the Silent Strike box thus far. If I could only take one of those, it's the Dawn Serpent. 

But you seem more interested in Last Blossom models, which is perfectly fine (and fun fact, I actually like Ototo in my list). Of the 4 boxes you named, I would absolutely pick up Karmic Debt and Crime Syndicate over the other two. Of those two, I would lean towards Karmic Debt if you plan to get Asami one day, and Crime Syndicate if you mostly play against melee-based crews (because Extended Reach is game breaking at that point). 

I hate to be too prescriptive because play style and aesthetic interests really do play a role. And Misaki supports Versatiles as well as she supports Last Blossom.

• Like 1

Good choice. I’m Diving into my Thunders collection at the moment - primarily Honeypot, Wastrel and Ancestors. 

For Misaki, I’d get the Kharmic Debt first. Minako and her summons is one of the best ‘tricks’ of Last Blossom.

For Thunders in general, I’d pick up the samurai box. The Lone Samurai is a very strong shock trooper, while the Samurai minion can control an area like no other. 

Echoing what others have said with Minako. She's my main henchman, makes it into the majority of my crews and summoning Katashiro is a large part of how I play.

Two models that haven't been mentioned: Jin from the title box makes it into the majority of my crews as well and I think he's phenomenal for what he costs. In the average game I can usually deny my opponent one or two VP and score one of my own in the turn that he unburden. So for what he costs I see him as one of my most valuable models.

I'm really keen on the Wokou raiders, not everyone is high on them but for me they can be amazing beaters and good for denying the opponent scheme marker based schemes.

Everything else outside of those boxes are situational for when I use them

Thunders has amazing versatile models and my most regular takes are the Dawn Serpant, Samurai & Lone Swordsman.

Some people like him a lot but I hate Ototo! Rarely take him 

• Like 2

@Dendrophile - thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the advice. I had a chance to pick up those Wokou Raiders, but reasoned I would probably use the Crime Bosses instead. They seem reasonably similar with just slight variations. I also thought that since I'm planning on collecting into Thunders, the Raiders would see limited play outside Blossoms...

as others have said the ten thunders versatiles are generally very good, although sadly our emissary isn't great. in last blossom i particularly like samurai (because they give you a big gun) and terracotta warriors (because they can make your squishy models much harder to remove as well as providing a small amount of card draw).

As has been said Misaki 1 can happily hire lots of out of keyword or versatile models, whilst Misaki 2 wants to stay in keyword more if she can - this is often where i find myself hiring wokou raiders and crimebosses in the right circumstances. It's worth picking up the split Misaki 2/Ivan 2 box, even if you plan to just play Misaki 1 for now because you get Jin, who IMO is one of the best in-keyword models in the faction and is probably the only auto include when i play Misaki. He can do so much for you.

the only models i've never used in keyword are the snipers who are a bit meh.

@Moinetbeard Thank you for the feedback! I've noticed a huge range of opinions on what is effective for Misaki. Really says to me that she is hugely versatile! I might head back to my FLGS and pick up those Wokou Raiders - considering everyone's opinions of them. My friend had Misaki 2 as an extra (he plays Ivan), but I unfortunately won't be getting Jin - just have to make due! I think my next purchases are going to be Silent Strike, Kharmic Debt and the Dawn Serpent (and probably those Wokou Raiders) - should result in quite a large crew in the end!

• Like 1