New to the Explorer’s Society

archangel

Hey everyone, 

I haven't played this game in maybe a decade or so, but I am interested in starting up at my LGS with Basse. Another player there has generously given me the title version of him too. SO I am here asking for help on basically what to get next. So what does an average Basse list look like? 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, archangel said:

Hey everyone, 

I haven't played this game in maybe a decade or so, but I am interested in starting up at my LGS with Basse. Another player there has generously given me the title version of him too. SO I am here asking for help on basically what to get next. So what does an average Basse list look like? 

Not the biggest basse player myself, but thinking of his models I'd prolly say you can't go wrong with:

• Sandworm
  • Rough Riders
  • Pathfinders and traps

Still prolly good but I'm not quite as knowledgable

• Austringers (I know some people swear by em)
  • Pearle (i know people really like her in parker, so assume shes solid in basse too, just havent seen as many reactions there).

Which luckily sandworm / pathfinders are in solo boxes so thats an easy grab.  Rough riders are a bit harder as they're in with McCabe models (the cryptologists) so that feels a bit more expensive for what you get.

Versatiles is a bit different, and I'd see what you like / need before really digging in there deep.  I think vernon and welles / the emissary boxes / botanists / the starter box are all great for when you need what they bring, but a lot depends on what you're looking for.

• Thanks 1

Sand worm and Pathfinder were definitely on my radar so I’m glad someone has seconded that notion. I think Neverborn and the robotic shooty guys (not sure which those are) are pretty prevalent and I’ve seen Freikorps and Arcanists too. But like I say I haven’t played since like 2nd edition so it’s just up in the air for me at the moment. 

is it better to build Basse in Explorer’s society or Guild going forward you think? 

p.s 

title or original too?

I think Basse is probably better in Guild. Their uprgrades and versatiles are stronger overall, and they probably synergize with the crew better as well.

Some of the best ES versatiles (like Intrepid and Botanists) don't really synergize with the crew. Well, you can do Botanist tricks on carve a path... Flush with cash on the minions is incredible though.

But yeah, I'd say Guild by a slight margin, but really it is a personal preference thing.

As for title vs original... BOTH! You get to choose which title you're using after you know what master your opponent has declared, so you should always pick the best title for the job.

Also if no one has mentioned yet, Pearl offers incredible healing.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I think Basse is probably better in Guild. Their uprgrades and versatiles are stronger overall, and they probably synergize with the crew better as well.

Some of the best ES versatiles (like Intrepid and Botanists) don't really synergize with the crew. Well, you can do Botanist tricks on carve a path... Flush with cash on the minions is incredible though.

But yeah, I'd say Guild by a slight margin, but really it is a personal preference thing.

As for title vs original... BOTH! You get to choose which title you're using after you know what master your opponent has declared, so you should always pick the best title for the job.

Also if no one has mentioned yet, Pearl offers incredible healing.

I saw in a strategy video that healing is awesome for Basse because everyone is so tough to get damage through on. Ok cool. Thanks for the tip!

4 minutes ago, archangel said:

I saw in a strategy video that healing is awesome for Basse because everyone is so tough to get damage through on. Ok cool. Thanks for the tip!

To clarify, Basse and Reichart are your super-hearty tanks that can stand near enemies and survive (and healing keeps them going).

For the rest of the crew, they're super squishy and die really easily, so need to be protected by your tanks.

That's why both Basse and Reichart have tools to move enemies around or lock them down so they can't kill your crew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

To clarify, Basse and Reichart are your super-hearty tanks that can stand near enemies and survive (and healing keeps them going).

For the rest of the crew, they're super squishy and die really easily, so need to be protected by your tanks.

That's why both Basse and Reichart have tools to move enemies around or lock them down so they can't kill your crew.

Makes sense, that’s where the trapper helps right? Kind of controlling where the action takes place

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If the rest of the faction is not a consideration then I would say go with guild. The only thing I find that ES brings for Basse is Flush with Cash since it is pretty sweet with traps. 

And yeah as others have said Sandworm and trappers for sure. A single rough rider is also good. Maybe you can get lucky and find a mccabe player who has one for sale? I rarely find that any crew plays more than one anway. 

• Thanks 1