Best opponent to Guild crew?

Lillian H

Hello!

I am new to Malifaux but am super excited about the Rotten Harvest sets that are coming out soon! Between the two boxes it looks like enough for a full Guild team(I hope😬)? The Guild isn't what I would have gone for initially but I can't resist the Dia De Los Muertos minis 😍

What is a good faction to get for my husband to play if I'm playing Guild? Or does it not matter as long as it's different? 

The Hats Off minis caught my eye for him but I'm not sure which other ones I would need to complete the set or if that would be the best faction. I am clearly mini driven. 

Malifaux seems like something we will really enjoy once we get started. The getting started just seems a little complicated. Any help is appreciated! 

Welcome   the two rottern harvest sets will give you a good chunk of the Marshall keyword for crew building  and more than enough to start the game.  ( also look fir the guild domadore set, which I can't remember the name of the box, but they are the same keyword and fit the theme). 

It doesn't really matter too much what faction your husband plays. It could even be guild if that's what you liked. ( then you could share versatile models if you wanted). There are enough instances of one branch of the guild interfering in a mission another part is doing . 

The hats off box contains two keyword, redchapel ( from ressers) and big hat ( from bayou). So you could look at thise to see if they look nice.

• Thanks 1

So there are a few ways to look at it.  

If your husband is looking to get into the game properly, than he should pick the keyword that excites him the most.  I wouldn't worry too much about faction or match up, you've still got to collect the models, build the models, and paint the models, and learn the models... and that is a lot to do when you are excited about the crew.   The best thing he can do is look through the factions, and look through the masters, and go with the one that he vibes with the most.  

If you are looking to recreate classic Malifaux encounters, I would consider opposing the Marshal crew to a Resser crew, like Seamus (Red Chappel) or Doc. McMourning (Experimental), or any of the others honestly.  If you are feeling extra spicy you could even opt for Dead Man's Hand for Nicodem, and recreate his last stand against Lady Justice.  Death Marshal's vs Ressurectionists is a classic Malifaux matchup.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corn said:

If your husband is looking to get into the game properly, than he should pick the keyword that excites him the most.  I wouldn't worry too much about faction or match up, you've still got to collect the models, build the models, and paint the models, and learn the models... and that is a lot to do when you are excited about the crew.   The best thing he can do is look through the factions, and look through the masters, and go with the one that he vibes with the most.  

If you are looking to recreate classic Malifaux encounters, I would consider opposing the Marshal crew to a Resser crew, like Seamus (Red Chappel) or Doc. McMourning (Experimental), or any of the others honestly.  If you are feeling extra spicy you could even opt for Dead Man's Hand for Nicodem, and recreate his last stand against Lady Justice.  Death Marshal's vs Ressurectionists is a classic Malifaux matchup.  

Thank you this is helpful! It's most likely I'll be painting whatever minis we get and he will be in for the game. He is the type to get hyped about something after we have started it. Trying to get him hyped now is harder. He's a handsome on learner. He just wants me to pick so we can get something started. 

We play DND so if we get a faction and play it a few times, don't like it and switch to a different one, at least we can use the minis for DND 🙂

Looking at the Redchapel Core box that looks awesome with the ladies and the guy with a bunch of hats. Adran and Corn thank you for your insite! I very much appreciate it!

4 hours ago, Corn said:

Thank you this is helpful! It's most likely I'll be painting whatever minis we get and he will be in for the game. He is the type to get hyped about something after we have started it. Trying to get him hyped now is harder. He's a handsome on learner. He just wants me to pick so we can get something started. 

We play DND so if we get a faction and play it a few times, don't like it and switch to a different one, at least we can use the minis for DND 🙂

Looking at the Redchapel Core box that looks awesome with the ladies and the guy with a bunch of hats. Adran and Corn thank you for your insite! I very much appreciate it!

5 hours ago, Adran said:

Welcome   the two rottern harvest sets will give you a good chunk of the Marshall keyword for crew building  and more than enough to start the game.  ( also look fir the guild domadore set, which I can't remember the name of the box, but they are the same keyword and fit the theme). 

It doesn't really matter too much what faction your husband plays. It could even be guild if that's what you liked. ( then you could share versatile models if you wanted). There are enough instances of one branch of the guild interfering in a mission another part is doing . 

The hats off box contains two keyword, redchapel ( from ressers) and big hat ( from bayou). So you could look at thise to see if they look nice.

The core box for Redchapel looks awesome. Is that enough players or do I need the Hats Off also? 

The only thing I'm not loving about Malifaux so far is when trying to start the game the things don't say on them "this is for blah blah in the game and it's all you need" or " but this plus this". It would be great if they had a quick start guide/shopping list if you aren't just going to buy a starter pack haha! I really appreciate the forum! Thanks for the help! 

We are both really excited to have a two player rpg style game. 🙂

9 hours ago, PiersonsMuppeteer said:

Search the forums for “building on a budget”. A member did a beginner shopping list for each faction broken down per master. A very good starting point for buying 2-3 boxes and putting a decent crew on the table for games.

Perfect! Thank you that's exactly what I need!