whats the issue with nighttime painted minis

Mr Oogie Boogie

Shading and lighting effects are the root of all evil in painting the point where you're not really painting figures for use in a game, and start painting figures for use in dioramas.  👻

And where that all comes to a messy end is that when you mix diorama-painted figures and regular painted figures on the same table.  Sort of like what happens when you've got a bunch of scenic city bases on your models and you're playing on a ship or a sand table.  

Or, to put it another way, it's a bit like wearing a three piece suit to lunch on casual Fridays.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 5:18 PM, solkan said:

Or, to put it another way, it's a bit like wearing a three piece suit to lunch on casual Fridays.

So what you’re saying is; you don’t like it, because you think gaming models should look, as if no effort has been put into them?

Why? Is it because they make the rest of the table look bad in comparison? Or something else?

I can’t wrap my head around, what you’re saying? 

-

@Mr Oogie Boogie My Google fu is weak, will you provide some links? 😊

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

So what you’re saying is; you don’t like it, because you think gaming models should look, as if no effort has been put into them?

The effort isn’t relevant.
The specular highlighting and radiant emission calculations/effects are inconsistent with the rest of the table, is what I’m saying.  How’s that supposed to make the figure look better while being used in the game?

16 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

Why? Is it because they make the rest of the table look bad in comparison? Or something else?

I can’t wrap my head around, what you’re saying? 

-

@Mr Oogie Boogie My Google fu is weak, will you provide some links? 😊

this sorta thing 

258860699_10159209925984792_6990276561715872614_n.jpg

not my picture or model. just this sort of thing 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Oogie Boogie said:

this sorta thing 

258860699_10159209925984792_6990276561715872614_n.jpg

not my picture or model. just this sort of thing 

That’s a diorama.  :)  That’s all the “deal” it needs to be to justify things like “paint everything as if it were night time and illuminated by street lamps”.  It’s just the fancy painting equivalent of ‘pose these three figures in a dramatic scene, possibly cutting and reposing the models’, something you do for any number of personal or artistic reasons, including just ‘it’s a bit of work, and it’ll look neat in the end’.

I wouldn’t know why anyone would object to this? It would be the equivalent of complaining that people paint their models poorly - like the majority of us do.

And despite @solkan’s complaints about not ‘fitting in’ - which rarely seems to be the case anyway - my Ressurs gladly take their cobblestone bases into the deepest swamps to face off against the M&SU dramatically lit by off base furnaces, or a crew of poorly disassembled gremlins with a coat of paint as if a five-year old hopped up on sugar and crayons could have done them.

You’d really have to be entitled to the nth degree in order to complain about other people not painting their dollies to your specification.

In the words of Mr. Cooper “Just splash some paint on it.”

88066547-4D09-4ED9-BBE0-B5F1E12AA87D.thumb.jpeg.452fced3c349d40f9dc8c06f08859546.jpeg

• Agree 1