Stupid question: What exactly are Oni? Are they related to the neverborn in some way?

Swarmlord1231

So I'm a bit new to Malifaux lore but I absolutely love the neverborn as I have always been drawn to the more monstrous factions, but one thing that confuses me are the Oni, I haven't read much of the older lore, but what exactly is the origin of the Oni? If there is no definitive origin will the upcoming Ten Thunders book maybe have some lore (But probably not much, I place my bets on Kimon on explaining Onis fully) But I am still really curious about what they exactly are. 

I thought that they were maybe somehow related to neverborn but saw no reference to them in the From Nightmares book which got me interested even more.

Neverborn are native to malifaux, and I'm pretty sure that oni aren't native. I'm not fully up to date on lore, but my guess is that oni come from another place, but the magic of malifaux makes it easier to summon compared to earth. 

From memory, the obsidian gate adventure tells you a lot about oni on earth, but it's quite a while since I read it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MattM said:

Without giving too many spoilers so you can still dive into the lore yourself, the oni are creatures/spirits native to the Beyond, which is separate from other places (like Earth is separate from Malifaux). 

Thank you for the reply! Which books are good for finding out more lore on Oni as a whole, I know obsidian gate has like lore and stats for individual Oni but is there any book which has a section on Oni as a whole or something (and I know Asami of the Ten Thunders also uses oni) I am also hyped for Kimon cause Oni are really fun.

20 minutes ago, Eria'D angelo said:

I understand correctly that Oni are, in a sense, spirits native to earth?

Not quite I believe, they aren't native to earth, but rather native to "the beyond". Although what exactly "the beyond" is I can't say. There is obviously some connection between earth and the beyond, but they are different places.