Trying to get into Malifaux

R0BB

This belongs in the discussion forum I think, but let's answer your question anyway!

So some key questions to ask yourself:

• Do you have people to play?
    • If not, you can check local game stores and clubs if any malifaux groups exist in your area.
    • You can also check social media.
    • You can get two crews and start a group in your area.
    • You can play online using vassal.
  • Do you know what crews you want to play?
    • If not, browse the website and app and get a feel for what you'd like to do?

Then just buy a core box and a fate deck and make some 30mm & 50mm markers and you should be good to go!

EDIT: Note a core box isn't enough for a full game, you usually want 1-2 more boxes from your keyword, but can ask for specific advice in the relevant forum for your master. A core box is enough to get a good feel for the game :)

<Modhat> I've just moved this to the discussion forum. <Modhat>

Maniacal_cackle has pretty much covered it, if you want to look more at the crews https://www.wyrd-games.net/malifaux has a summary of the factions and masters in each faction if you click on the faction icons. The best advice for starting is find a crew you like the look of and just start there, once you know more about the game you can look at what each crew does and find something you like the sound of. 

It is probably relevant for you to know how much it costs to start from scratch. Malifaux was my first ever miniature game, and it cost me about $200 in initial investment to actually put models on the table. This cost includes:

1. A Core Box ($50)
2. Superglue ($5)
3. Sprue Cutters ($10)
4. Various Paints ($30)
5. Varnish ($15)
6. Basing Material ($15)
7. A Fate Deck ($10)
8. A Box to Store and Carry Miniatures ($20)
9. Scheme Markers ($5)
10. Miscellaneous Markers to represent Corpse / Scrap ($10)
11. A Measuring Widget and / or Tape Measure ($5)
12. Card Protectors ($10)
13. Dry Erase Markers ($5)

Obviously many of these area can be ignored, or splurged on, depending on your personal investment in that aspect. As an example, initially I purchased a tackle box and modified it by gluing felt as a storage container ($20) but as my collection grew, I bought an official carrier for $100. You can also do things like leave your miniatures unpainted, use a regular deck of playing cards, and cut out circles of paper to represent Markers as ways to decrease the initial investment. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I went the other way in regards to a carrier xD

I bought a nice foam carry case, but didn't like it. So made my own magnetised case instead with some vinyl material xD

Yeah, one of the awesome things since the expansion of plastic in miniatures, is how light they are. A reasonably sized rare earth magnet under the base, and it's secure as hell. And even if it does come loose, the lightness and flexibility of the plastic, and the securement of plastic glue, it takes a lot to ruin one.

As someone who's seen metal models explode like a Michael Bay movie when they've taken a small fall, I much prefer plastics, though there are still a few models I prefer the original metals for, and there's others that I'd rather not spend money replacing. Keeping up with every Keyword means prioritizing where I spend money, and getting a third or fourth Zoraida and getting it painted, just doesn't make sense.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1