Hi, I'm new! Wanna play, but there are no known players around. How to start?

Hi everyone! Just like in title- I'm new into the game. Love how unique it is, love the lore and climate. Since CoVid situation is getting better in UK, there is more and more venues opening and more opportunities to play live games. I wanna start playing Malifaux, but i cannot find any people around me. I asked at local gaming places and no luck so far. So I want to know, if you guys had similar problem and how can I start playing? 
Most of my gaming buddies are playing X-wing and other mainstream games and very hard to convince them to try something new. Should I just leave advert in FLGSs that I'm looking for players?

13 minutes ago, Błażej Filipiak said:

Hi everyone! Just like in title- I'm new into the game. Love how unique it is, love the lore and climate. Since CoVid situation is getting better in UK, there is more and more venues opening and more opportunities to play live games. I wanna start playing Malifaux, but i cannot find any people around me. I asked at local gaming places and no luck so far. So I want to know, if you guys had similar problem and how can I start playing? 
Most of my gaming buddies are playing X-wing and other mainstream games and very hard to convince them to try something new. Should I just leave advert in FLGSs that I'm looking for players?

If you can find a place willing to host, advertising a starter league could be good and get a few people trying at once. If you can reach even 4 people learning the game at once, that is pretty good.

It is easy to advertise as low barrier to entry - we just had people buy a core box + pay $20. That $20 covered ten scheme markers, a fate deck, and prizes. That's quite reasonable to try out the system for less than $100.

I'm located in Exeter in South-West of UK. This region is extremely dominated by Warhammer 40k and AoS. Even second most populat miniature game (Bolt Action) has few players here and there. I tried running promos for other games, but noone is interested getting into other games. Thu the question, because I don't have any ideas myself 😕

6 minutes ago, Błażej Filipiak said:

I'm located in Exeter in South-West of UK. This region is extremely dominated by Warhammer 40k and AoS. Even second most populat miniature game (Bolt Action) has few players here and there. I tried running promos for other games, but noone is interested getting into other games. Thu the question, because I don't have any ideas myself 😕

I don't know if it'll work, but for my next recruitment drive, I'm targeting Magic: The Gathering players.

The state of the game is a bit rough and people are open to other games, and Malifaux is basically MTG in wargame form.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Actually it's not bad idea. MtG is quite strong in here and there is fair share of veteran, who literally say "Magic is dead now", especially since Arena became really popular and prices of MtG products are rising like crazy. I'll do the research and will check how people respond to that approach.

• Like 1

There used to be players/Clubs in Bristol and Warminster that I can remember.  I don't know the south west clubs all that well. I know there was a FLGS in Exeter that carried Malifaux models so I assume there were players.  Talk to the staff at the shops, as they ought to know who the malifaux customers are if they have any at the moment. 

Starting a play group from scratch is hard. You really need to find at least 1 other player, as nothing gets people to join in more than seeing the game being played. I'm fairly lucky as we have several players locally that are happy to try many games, which meant it was fairly easy to get players to buy a crew to try it out. And once we had people playing regularly, more people tried it. Just waiting for our local club to start meeting again. 

My normal advice would be to try and find somewhere you can play it, and advertise at the local games shops/clubs that you are going to be there for demos. then  you need a couple of crews to play together. It also puts pressure on you to know the rules, which may or may not be something you are comfortable with.

The UK is normally a place that has good events taking place fairly often, and they are friendly and helpful. It might be that you check the UK Malifaux tournament scene to try and find when there is one that you can travel to, and you can probably meet people there for games.

There is also Vassel which is an online play of malifaux that has gained quite a lot of players over the last year. 

@Adran Thanks a lot! You just confirmed to me the way i wanted to take: grab few boxes and hit FLGSs with demo games. We have 2 really good local shops in Exeter (one was selling Malifaux, now only has books 😕), none of them ever had people playing Malifaux really, but i talked to owners and they were very open towards setting events for Mailfaux. There is also one great club/shop near Exeter (Crediton), which i will hit soon. 

When it comes to Bristol, there is a club, where people used to play, but 1,5 year ago they went silent. I know that pandemic didn't help, but even before it there was very little chatter and mostly news about new releases, not about events or casual play. 

Thanks again. I will organise some Malifaux event in the future. I got my Kaeris crew almost done. Now need to find visually cool models from other faction and can start promoting the game :D 

• Like 1