Fate master characters plus damage flip.

Eria'D angelo

I recently decided to run a TTB campaign and started with the new Days Without Accident. My players faced an minion with the following action

(1) Brass Knuckles (Pugilism) Target suffers 2/3/4 damage. This weapon gains + to the damage flip.

This put me in a prostration, since Fate master character can't flip cards in any case. Or they can? I will be very grateful if you can help me with this case. 

14 minutes ago, Eria'D angelo said:

I recently decided to run a TTB campaign and started with the new Days Without Accident. My players faced an minion with the following action

This put me in a prostration, since Fate master character can't flip cards in any case. Or they can? I will be very grateful if you can help me with this case. 

For duels, fate master characters don't flip cards.  Damage flips aren't duels; and the section on 'Accuracy Modifiers' (which should probably have been titled something like 'Fate Modifiers for Damage') is spelled out on page 300 of the rules separately from duels without making any exceptions for Fated vs. non-Fated or whatever.  So the Fate Master will flip additional cards (and flip the extra cards for a net :+flipor :-flip).

If you've played since 1st edition, in the second edition rules, the Fate Master does flip damage against the players, and the rules to make the Fate Master avoid touching the deck (or giving players cards when the deck is touched) were removed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, this is one instance where the Fatemaster makes the damage flip for the Fatemaster character! Page 301 of the Core Rules might give a little more clarity on this. It's definitely one of the very few exceptions to FM characters not flipping cards, so good catch!

Hope you and your Fated enjoy Days Without Accident!

As someone that started with the first edition, I completely overlooked that second edition says that Fatemasters can flip for damage;  I've been having my players flip for damage dealt against themselves.  I like the idea of not having to flip, though, so I'll probably keep doing it the old way as a house rule.  If my players get hit with severe damage, they have no one to blame but themselves.😆