In terrain vs within 0"

Vatic

Question

If a model is in base to base contact with a piece of terrain (or a marker with a terrain trait) do they suffer the effects of that terrain (i.e. are they treated as being in it).

For example, a model is in base to base contact with a pyre marker and takes an action without moving. Do the effects of the marker apply?

The text in the rulebook confused me.

Any time a model’s base is overlapping terrain, it is said to be in that terrain. If a model’s base is touching terrain (either overlapping or directly next to the terrain), that model is within 0" of that terrain.

The first sentence implies that a base needs to be overlapping to be considered in terrain. The second sentence then adds the concept of within 0'. I couldn't find further reference to within 0" and how it is relevant. Is the wording trying to imply touching is in the terrain or not?

4 answers to this question

39 minutes ago, Vatic said:

If a model is in base to base contact with a piece of terrain (or a marker with a terrain trait) do they suffer the effects of that terrain (i.e. are they treated as being in it).

No, they are not in terrain and do not suffer  hazardous effects. To make things clear, look at Impassable terrain rules: models can not move through and be in impassable terrain, but they can be in base contact with it.

On 11/29/2019 at 10:40 PM, Scoffer said:

No, they are not in terrain and do not suffer  hazardous effects. To make things clear, look at Impassable terrain rules: models can not move through and be in impassable terrain, but they can be in base contact with it.

Although I get where you are coming from, the wording on impassable terrain n doesn't use the word "in" at all. 

I note the contrasting wording in the bullet point under hazardous terrain. This states that if a marker is moved, any models that come into base contact with it suffer the effects. 

So say the opponent has a model in base to base with a pyre marker. If I move the marker, the model suffers the effect. However, if the model activates and moves away from the marker, it doesn't suffer the effects? Seems odd. 

When you look at this sentence:

If a model’s base is touching terrain (either overlapping or directly next to the terrain), that model is within 0" of that terrain.

please consider that there are models in the game with 40mm and 50mm bases.  There are also terrain markers in the game that are 30mm, and it's quite easy to imagine someone putting a 20mm or 25mm "area terrain" paper on the table.

Then look back at paragraph two of measuring:

Measurement is almost always done horizontally from the closest point on the base of the object in question. If a player is measuring to an object, they measure to the closest point on the base of the target. If there is a vertical element, that distance is added to the distance, minus the lower object’s Size or Height (to a minimum of 0).

Without the "if you're touching terrain, you're within 0" of that terrain" rule, you would get bizarre situations where a model positioned literally on top of a terrain piece, or literally in the middle of the terrain piece, would be considered far away from the terrain.

Would it have been simpler, or less confusing, or just say that for terrain you measure to the nearest part?  Maybe.  But the rules author decided to just say 'if you're standing on the thing, you're within 0" of it'.

About the only place where I think it ends up mattering in the current rules would be a model standing on top of Destructible terrain where the model is more than an inch from the base of the terrain.  But there it is.

Edit:  And it's possible that at some point, the measuring rules specified "closest point on the edge of the base".  🤷‍♀️