Zoraida builds - do you just take a bunch of beaters?

Maniacal_cackle

With Zoraida getting her most offensive aspects of play nerfed, I'm thinking of picking her up.

How do people build her? I've played her once in a Dreamer crew, and mostly ran her alongside beaters which seemed fantastic. Do people just take her alongside a bunch of beaters? As a sample list I just whipped up, for instance:

• Zoraida
  • Serena Bowman
  • Hooded Rider
  • McTavish
  • Bad Juju
  • The First mate.
  • 4 stones

With such a list, she'd be able to reach huge swaths of the board (up to ~24" range using the three swampfiend models), and if the opponent doesn't present any good obey targets, she has 5 models worth obeying in her own crew. I'm not 100% sure about scheming, but 3/5 of the crew can disengage and interact easily (not to mention she can obey enemies into scheming for her).

That's just where my current thoughts lie. How is everyone else building her?

She also combos super well with Widow Weaver, since she can pop out a scrap marker every turn with her doll, so I would consider bringing that in many matchups.

About what nerf are you speaking?

Usually i pick two henchmens from Swampfiends (17-18 ss), Doppleganger if i've picked McTavish or Mysterious Emissary and mixed group of minions for circa 14-16ss (Bokor, one or two Will'o'Wisps, Silurid if i didn't pick Swamp Mother, but it is not some kind of rule), sometimes i'm exchanging Emissary for Effigy to cut the costs (Doppleganger).

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, FrostHunter said:

GG Zero: Can no longer obey model to drop explosive marker on their side of table; If obeying model to take push a corrupted idol, Zoraida takes the damage.

3 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Do people just take her alongside a bunch of beaters?

Yes, it is really good to have a couple of beaters at your disposal. However, I think an all beater list like you suggest will get tied up in chaff/terrain and unable to scheme properly. Usually I prefer to give her more soulstones to work with since she really wants to get that ensorcel trigger and sometimes the cards are not in favor.

I like her with a couple of my own, but then more swampfiends so I can pester my opponents models more than super charge my own.  I find that her strength is the fact that my opponent has to look at all of his models as potential threats as well as my models.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrostHunter said:

Usually i pick two henchmens from Swampfiends (17-18 ss), Doppleganger if i've picked McTavish or Mysterious Emissary.

What makes you pick the Emissary?

1 hour ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

I like her with a couple of my own, but then more swampfiends so I can pester my opponents models more than super charge my own.  I find that her strength is the fact that my opponent has to look at all of his models as potential threats as well as my models.

How many models do you find you need for that coverage? I played her once with just her own range and that already gave pretty good coverage. I figured a couple models would be heaps. What minions do you usually take with her?

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

How many models do you find you need for that coverage?

Its mainly for LOS issues.  Her reach is impressive already and is insane with max range on a swampfiend.  However, on my boards at least, there is maybe one or two small slivers that would allow for a 24" ranged obey.  So having more swampfiends on the other side of forests or buildings helps give vision to targets that zoraida would have to actually move in order to see. Those creaky knees ya know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

What makes you pick the Emissary?

Well, i just love playing with some hazardous terrain with obeys and lures and i love to have him if there is some kind of big(ger) severe terrain near centerline especially if i can connect it somehow with some schemes. Of course he is not the best alternative in our arsenal, but he gives me a lot of fun and that is the main reason i'm using him (also love the model).

And one more thing that could lead to some misreading, because of one "or"- Doppleganger is in duet only with McTavish. ME has nothing to their affairs.

8 hours ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

GG Zero: Can no longer obey model to drop explosive marker on their side of table; If obeying model to take push a corrupted idol, Zoraida takes the damage.

Oooh, after your post i looked after some kind of errata etc, but couldn't find it on the forum because of lack of time (few free minutes befere going to work). Thank you very much!

Hmmm well it was OP and could ruin some fun - i agree with it, but still, i don't feel hard nerfed if this could stop people asking - how should i play Corrupted Idols against Zoriada?! So later Zoraida would be nerfed in more ways, and we have Bokors in keyword that can heal Mama Z.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, FrostHunter said:

Well, i just love playing with some hazardous terrain with obeys and lures and i love to have him if there is some kind of big(ger) severe terrain near centerline especially if i can connect it somehow with some schemes. Of course he is not the best alternative in our arsenal, but he gives me a lot of fun and that is the main reason i'm using him (also love the model).

Good point! Emissary Hazardous terrain and blasts with Zoraida is an smart move indeed... It multiplies the danger of an obey because a charge procs 2 actions, which will proc the Hazardous terrain twice (one in the charge and the second one in the attack itself); and then Zoraida may obey the emissary to blast those 2 stacked enemy models, giving both Staggered or Slow with the right trigger and creating even more Hazardous terrain around... And if you want that the other player really hate you make sure to use the Emissary's Grasping Tentacles while they are slowed or staggered in the severe terrain XDD. Talking about NPE lol.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ogid said:

Talking about NPE lol.

And add to this stunned, distracted +1 and slow just from one action point for one ace of crow or injured +1 (coordinated attack from Mama Z) for ace of mask from Will'o'Wisp against voodoo doll transfering this to some unhappy, cursed model or maybe even two enemy models - if you are so lucky that previous target of Voodoo Curse still have the upgrade at the start of the next round.

Recipe for potion made from tears - First Will'o'Wisp spam conditions transfering them to previous target, activate later Voodooo Doll to copy some nasty thing from cursed model or attack with frantic flailing - Bokor is ideal target to give him fast and glowy token and kill yourself with zero action (free card, and scrap marker for McTavish - i miss the free shooting attack from 2nd edition, but might have funny consequences), then summon it again while Zoraida activation to spread the love of the same full plate of conditions! Meanwhile Bokor might heal or shield Doll so it wouldn't die from Frantic Failing's mask trigger.

I'm corrupted by playing to much in MtG using blue/white or blue/black control/locker decks.

• Haha 2