Execute trigger

Rift

Execute states this

The target may either discard a card or a soulstone. If it does neither, it is killed, ignoring demise abilities.

If a model is not a master or a henceman...in other words a model that can't use soulstones....can they still discard a soulstone if you get this trigger?

Sounds good, are you 100% sure about this.

Is there any way you can make that statement more definitive by using rules or statements from the rule book itself.

I can just see this debate coming up and simply saying discarding is not the same as using just comes across as an opinion.

Dont get me wrong, I agree with you.

4 minutes ago, Rift said:

Is there any way you can make that statement more definitive by using rules or statements from the rule book itself.

I can just see this debate coming up and simply saying discarding is not the same as using just comes across as an opinion.

One way that may carry credence with a potential opponent is to ask this in the rules section, where a consensus answer may emerge that you can link to on your phone or something.  Still won't be official, but may carry some weight.  Especially if the answer is logically sound.

Discarding isn't using. The rules on soulstones say henches and masters can use them but I don't think it ever says soulstone users can just discard them at any time so either the ability allows everyone to discard a soulstone or no one can do it. 

1 hour ago, Rift said:

The best I can offer is that Soulstone use is on page 27. That page tells you only Masters and henchmen can use soulstone and then tells you what the uses of soulstone are.  Discarding a soulstone for a game effect isn't one of the uses.

So I'm going by the rules clearly tell me what Soulstone users can do with soulstone, and clearly labels it as soul stone use or spending a soulstone. Discarding a soulstone isn't on the list of things that you need to be able to use soulstone to do.

There is also the many years of having played this, and the knowledge of the evolution of discarding a soulstone for execute triggers leads me to assume that as the wording hasn't changed,. so I don't expect the intent to have changed with no evidence, although I fully understand this is not a good argument to use to convince someone else.

• Agree 3