Malifaux Child - Just Like You! and Triggers

nomadicXnightmare

Question

I think i know the answer, but I'm looking for consensus - regarding the Malifaux Child's Just Like You! action, it states "Target a model with higher Cost than this model. Select one of the target's non-:ToS-Fast: Tactical Actions that does not Attach Upgrades or list a model by name." When complying with the "does not Attach Upgrades" stipulation, does this include triggers? Specifically, if I wanted to copy the Hodgepodge Emissary's Plenty of Wares action, would I not be able to copy the action due to the :ToS-Tome: trigger that attaches a trinket upgrade? Or can I still use the action for the heal and the :ToS-Ram: trigger (that adds a +1 to the heal total) and just can't declare the :ToS-Tome: trigger? Thanks.

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, nomadicXnightmare said:

My question is can I take the action and simply not declare the trigger, or is the action unable to be copied by extension of having a trigger that attaches an upgrade?

No.  The action cannot be copied if the action is capable of attaching an upgrade, through the action's main text or through its triggers.

Action Triggers are part of their associated Action, even though they are normally optional.

Page 12 on "Action Triggers": Action Triggers are tied to specific Actions and can only be used with that Action. 

Since triggers are part of the action, it seems to me that you can't attach an upgrade.

Edit: Oh... I think I now understood your question. You're asking if you can even take the action without the trigger. I don't know... That's an interesting question.

2 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Page 12 on "Action Triggers": Action Triggers are tied to specific Actions and can only be used with that Action. 

Since triggers are part of the action, it seems to me that you can't attach an upgrade.

My question isn't whether I can attach an upgrade or not - I already know I can't due to the "does not Attach Upgrades" stipulation of Just Like You! My question is can I take the action and simply not declare the trigger, or is the action unable to be copied by extension of having a trigger that attaches an upgrade? If triggers are "tied to a specific Actions", it does seem like they may disqualify the original action from being copied, but I can see both sides of the debate.