Devouring eel consume.

RaidenSA

Hello! Please, give some opinions fo my question, or an exact ansver:

The eel's attack says if it kills one ore more models, the eel gets a reinforcment token. This spelling, i think, is clear for everybody, so lets go on. This attak trigger says if that action (attack) dealt some damage, deal 1 more damage.

Referencing to the timings, we know, that triggers occure after the action is resolved (the damage is dealt), unless exeption is stated in the trigger. So, the Eel's attack deals damage, we gain a token(ok, only if we killed a model). After that, the trigger comes up, we deal 1 more damage, for example, to the same firesquad and kill 1 more model. And here comes the question: Does this extra damage and kill grant us another reinforcment token (cause it states that extra damage comes from the attack with that ability), or not.

Thank you for reading, i'll be glad hearing all argumented points of view.

On 12/19/2018 at 2:37 PM, RaidenSA said:

Hello! Please, give some opinions fo my question, or an exact ansver:

The eel's attack says if it kills one ore more models, the eel gets a reinforcment token. This spelling, i think, is clear for everybody, so lets go on. This attak trigger says if that action (attack) dealt some damage, deal 1 more damage.

Referencing to the timings, we know, that triggers occure after the action is resolved (the damage is dealt), unless exeption is stated in the trigger. So, the Eel's attack deals damage, we gain a token(ok, only if we killed a model). After that, the trigger comes up, we deal 1 more damage, for example, to the same firesquad and kill 1 more model. And here comes the question: Does this extra damage and kill grant us another reinforcment token (cause it states that extra damage comes from the attack with that ability), or not.

I've highlighted the part in red, to highlight where I'm disagreeing with you.

If you turn to the Actions rules, look at the subsection "Resolve Action".

There are two sub-steps that occur when resolving an Action.  If any of these steps generate an additional Action, the additional Action occurs after the initial Action has been resolved.  

and then it lists two bullet points 

• Resolve Effects
  • Resolve Triggers

and says

One both of these steps have been resolved, the Actions are considered to be resolved.

In other words, triggers are resolved as part of the action.  If the effects or triggers of the Action generate any Actions, those Actions are resolved after the action.

To quote the Triggers rules:

By default, most Triggers resolve during the Resolve Action step of the Action (see pg. 51).   ...

Sometimes, a Trigger will result in an additional Action.  In these cases, the additional Action is taken after the rest of the Resolve Action steps.

The additional damage from the trigger happens during the action resolution (in the second step).

So between:

Strength 3.  Piercing.  If this Action kills one or more models, this unit gains a Reinforcement Token."

and the trigger

If this Action dealt damage, it deals 1 damage to the same target (without a Penetration flip).

You already satisfied "If this Action kills one or models" the first time, killing more models isn't changing anything.  Killing one model then killing another model is just a slower than usual way of doing it.

I don't think it makes any difference when the Devouring Eel gains the Reinforcement token, but if it did, you should probably wait to gain them until the end of the Resolve Action step.

• Thanks 1