Envoy Combinations

DerangedGamer123

Question

11 answers to this question

Sure.   For Symmetry, assume everything here works the same way for the other allegiances.

Abyssinia w/ no Envoy (pure Abbyssinia)

Any Abyssinian commander combination works. (Prince, Kassa, Lord).   You can put Abyssinian and Generic Earth assets on whatever you want and hire whatever Abyssinian models.

Abyssinia w/ Guild Envoy

Any Abyssinian commander combination works. (Prince, Kassa, Lord).   You can hire Thrace and any Guild Units/assets you want (when they exist).   Thrace and the Guild models can only get Guild/Generic Earth Assets though.  The Abyssinian models still can get Abyssinian and Generic Earth assets.  Guild "stuff" can only add up to 50% of your total spent scrip.

Abyssinia w/ King's Empire Envoy

MUST SELECT KASSA and any other Abyssinian commander (Prince, Lord) for this to do anything.   You can hire King's Empire Assets and Squads but the assets can only go on King's Empire models.   Anyone can still get generic earth stuff though.  (This means Kassa can take her King's Empire Asset since she's a King's Empire model).  King's Empire "stuff" can only add up to 50% of your total scrip.

Note:  Some people think that since The Frenzy is a squad, they're treated differently somehow.  They are not.  The reason for this is that as a commander, they aren't hired into your list, so they aren't subject to the envoy privileges.

Edited by Clement
clarify king's empire envoy a bit
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand the question. There are 3 commanders possible for each faction. If you use the duel commander (homotagah or kessa) then you can also hire from their other faction. If you don't take that option then earth can take Thrace from the guild, and malifaux can take Binh from the court of 2. 

2 hours ago, Adran said:

I don't understand the question. There are 3 commanders possible for each faction. If you use the duel commander (homotagah or kessa) then you can also hire from their other faction. If you don't take that option then earth can take Thrace from the guild, and malifaux can take Binh from the court of 2. 

I have had it explained to me in other forms than this.... on multiple occasions from various sources... 

The underlying problem is that the Syndicate Envoys (Guild, Court) and their Syndicate rule work differently from the standard Allegiance Envoys and their Allies rule.  The two rules look superficially the same though (something about a commander, something about hiring models and assets, yadda yadda yadda), so some people are messing it up and assuming they work the same, when they very much don't.

I am confused about the answers here about envoys, no where does it say the dual faction commanders are specifically the envoys (no envoy keyword on their cards) or there is any restrictions like kings empire picking cult of burning man envoy then picking a cult commander, only restriction is the envoy cant have the same faction and the guild/court envoys are restricted to earth/malifaux factions.

well nothing I can find anyway :)

I'm reading through these rules and I frankly don't see anything in the wording stopping me from hiring the Lord of Steel into a Kings Empire force using the envoy rules. Envoy only states that if you hire a commander from faction X you get to use it's toys, but nowhere does it state that it must also belong to the declared Alligience, that is stated in the hiring rules but it also statws that you selecr an envoy which makes it sound like choosing the envoy is enough to ignore declared Alligience as a restriction.

I know that the intent is that only Kassa and Oromatangi allow mixing Alligiences, but as per raw, nothing is stopping full mixing or at least I can't find any line that stops that interpretation.

After players select an Allegiance (and an Envoy, if desired), players choose which Commander(s) they wish to lead their Company. Commanders chosen must belong to the Company's Allegiance.

The envoy cards are what it means by selecting an envoy, the guild/court card specify you can take a commander from those factions, the other nations don't so the only way to benefit from their envoy cards is a commander that is dual nation.

I'd love to take the dragon titan commander with my kings empire but RAW you can't

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Naks said:

After players select an Allegiance (and an Envoy, if desired), players choose which Commander(s) they wish to lead their Company. Commanders chosen must belong to the Company's Allegiance.

The envoy cards are what it means by selecting an envoy, the guild/court card specify you can take a commander from those factions, the other nations don't so the only way to benefit from their envoy cards is a commander that is dual nation.

I'd love to take the dragon titan commander with my kings empire but RAW you can't

Thanks a ton, that was the paragraph I was missing! I have another question though, can Kassa or Oromatangi use asstes from both Alligiences if they use an Envoy?

17 minutes ago, Razhem said:

Thanks a ton, that was the paragraph I was missing! I have another question though, can Kassa or Oromatangi use asstes from both Alligiences if they use an Envoy?

If they use the envoy, yes.  By default, all assets selected have to come from the companies allegiance, but by taking the Envoy card, you allow assets from the other allegiance to be purchased so long as they go on units that also fit that envoy card.   (So Abyssinia can take Kassa with only Abyssinia assets whenever, but can mix in Kings Empire assets on her with the Envoy card since she is a Kings Empire "Unit").

• Thanks 1