Self Loathing and Dumb Luck

Domin

Question

I had a tourney game today and run Pandora against Sommer. While killing Francois, I had an argue with my opponent. I told him that as soon as Dumb Luck count as part of the attack action, I can use damage track from it for a Self Loathing.

He opposed me, and the TO took his side.

But now I looked through F.A.Q. and found this:

75) If a Trigger on an Action causes damage (whether a flip or a fixed amount), does that count as part of the original Action? Is it modified by effects like the Accuracy Modifier and Focus? Do fixed damage bonuses (such as from Hallucinogens or The Bigger They Are) apply to the Trigger? Triggers that cause damage are a part of the Action which caused them. Any damage flip on such a Trigger would retain any Fate Modifiers to the original flip including Accuracy, Focus, cover, etc. Any fixed damage (such as the +1 damage from The Bigger They Are) only applies to the initial Action (not any resulting Triggers).

Doesn't it means I was right?

Wording of Self Loathing - for example:

(1) Self Loathing (Ca 7M / Rst: Wp / Rg: y3): Select a (1) AP y Action on the target. Apply the printed damage results of the chosen Action to the target, no other effects or Triggers from the chosen Action are applied. The accuracy modifier is determined by the result of this duel.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 answers to this question

The faq is dealing with a separate issue. It's there to clarify that (for example) a model killed by the Haunting trigger on Hamelin's Pipes counts as being killed by that action, and how to resolve the damage flip for the trigger.

The answer to your question is in the text for Self Loathing. It applies the damage printed in the action and "no other effects or Triggers". So you use the base damage, not the one on the Dumb Luck Trigger.

That faq doesn't help you at all. The dumb luck trigger is not a trigger which deal damage. It changes the damage line on the action, but until you activate that trigger, you only have the normal damage line. So self loathing will look at the normal damage line. If you had an action that didn't normally do damage, and a trigger gave it a damage line the self loathing still won't hurt. As far as it cares the action has no triggers, its just it's plan action. 

• Like 1