The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp

I think we too deserve a thread of „What was the last list you've played” type, don't we? I encourage everyone to post here lists, followed by a short information concerning S&S, opposing crew and short encounter's rundown.

I will start with my today's game against my regular Gremlin opponent, Michał „Świeżak” Wencel.

Standard Deployment

Strategy: Public Executions

Schemes: Eliminate, Covert, Vendetta, Search the Ruins, something I don't remember.

I wanted to play Reva with Lampads despite everything – I have bought the box right before our game and wanted to give them a try.

My crew:

Reva w/ Decaying Aura, Riders in the Sky, Blood Mark, 6 ss

Carrion Emissary w/ Conflux of the Reaper

Datsue Ba w/ My Little Helper

Lampad w/ My Little Helper

Hayreddin

Dead Doxy

Rotten Belle

His crew:

Wong, Glowy McTavish, Trixie, Old Cranky, 2 Swinecursed, 2 Lightining Bug.

As I anticipated, Michał brought his regular Wong crew, which he always plays into Public Executions. As for schemes, he has chosen Eliminate and of course Covert.

I've chosen Covert and Vendetta (Belle – Swinecursed).

On turn one he pushed Wong and Tavish with his Swinecursed twice. I Blackjokered Shards of Kythera which let him shoot Carrion Emissary with McTavish once for 5. Combination of Bloodmark and Guide Spirits let me charge one of his Lightning Bugs on my last activation of turn one and summon another Lampad of it, but the whole process costed me my whole 8 card hand. I also lured his Swinecursed, revealing Vendetta. On turn two Wong killed one of the Lampads and McTavish killed Datsue Ba (charged earlier by Swinecursed), which emptied Michał's hand. This let me give the „Death Omen” condition to his McTavish, who was subsequently killed by Reva. To guarantee a point for Strategy, Dead Doxy pushed his Swinecursed, put him on negative and promptly pounced to death. On the other flank I wanted to soften my Vendetta target, who previously charged Hayreddin, dealing 3 wounds to him. So I lured Hay back with Belle to enable countercharge... and accidentaly killed the Swinecursed with severe on my second hit. On turn three he killed my Lampad, Hayreddin killed Lightining Bug lured by Belle and Reva and Doxy killed Trixie. Carrion Emissary used his 10'' place to a corpse marker and started placing markers for Covert. My opponent conceded after turn four, as his last two models, Wong and Old Crancky, were stucked in his deployment zone, engaged by Reva and heavily wounded (at least Wong).

Final score: Reva 7 (2 for Strategy, 2 for Vendetta, 3 for Covert) vs Wong 0.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, McSkip said:

Nice idea and thanks for the batrep! Did you get anything from the "riders in the sky" upgrade?

I haven't used it even once :P But I see its potential and will definitely give it another try.

9 hours ago, McSkip said:

I also want my lampads to work, thinking about a spirit Molly list, what you think?

I think they can work in every crew that can deliver them upfield and has cards to guarantee the kill and subsequent summoning. The most important thing is to put MLH on it. And I don't recommend using them against TT, as Yasunori will simply walk twice to get within Dark Protection range and kill Lampad in one AP - unless you want to bait them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've played three more games this week with variations of the Blood Mark Reva list. The most involving game was probably that against Raderk, a Neverborn player from Poland's top 10 whom you may remember from the discussion concerning Sandeep's nerf. He was practicing before the two day tournament that started today in Warsaw, so we played S&S from one of the rounds of the event. The only thing I have changed in this game was an upgrade on Reva – Corpse Candle summoning instead of Riders in the Sky.

Standard Deployment, Symbols of Authority

Punish the Weak, Covert Breakthrough, Search the Ruins, Take Prisoner, Recover Evidence.

I've chosen Punish and Covert and he Punished and Search.

Raderk was playing Pandy with her new upgrades and the one which increases SS prevention, Lilitu w/ Melancholy (or however it is called), Baby Kade w/ 10KF, Graves w/10KF, Iggy with Tantrum, Effigy and two Changelings.

He deployed more or less between his central and rightmost marker, whereas I deployed Emissary on my left flank, Hayreddin on the right and the rest in the middle. I summoned a Corpse Candle close to the leftmost marker, setting up an anchor for Emissary to pick a marker on turn two. Beginning of the turn one was mostly moves&pushes to set up charges (Datsue Ba made Lampad walk twice, Changeling and Graves pushed Pandy). I have walked up Emissary and Hay twice. Emissary put Shards to protect himself from Lilitu's Lure. Totally forgot that Baby Kade has this action as well, which he used to, well, lure Hayreddin fairly close to his rightmost marker. Pandy was already more or less 6 inches from the middle of the board and had two possibilities: find a way to push within a range of Dark Protection and kill Lampad or push backwards towards Hayreddin and kill him relatively easy. As I hoped, he decided to kill Hayreddin and summoned Poltergeist from him, but was now far away from my crew and – what we didn't know then – Hay's corpse marker turned out to be crucial on turn 5. I activated Reva, summoned a candle, pushed Lampad who then pushed himself with his (0), Reva pushed Candle which approached Mr. Graves and used (0) to chain activate into Lampad; finally Reva used her last AP to do something irrelevant. Lampad charged his Changeling, killing it instantly – and thus scoring me 1 or maybe even 2 points on turn five, but this was another thing we didn't know then. Finally, Lampad pushed twice more or less in the direction of his central marker, stoping at the edge of the board and spreading some irrelevant burning.

On turn two I drew really good hand with red joker and some severes, so at some point I decided to go after Pandora, but finally I managed to deal only three damage to her. She charged Doxy, but wasn't aware that I have a trigger to push out of her range, which I promptly used. In a meanwhile, Poltergeist picked up my rightmost marker, Emissary picked up his leftmost marker and was reduced to hard to kill and Lampad died to Changeling. At the end of the turn I kept my Red Joker and 13 in hand I believe.

Turn three was absolutely crucial. Emissary regenerated, killed Changeling, teleported back to Raderk's left flank and walked even farther from his models – I needed him alive to do Covert (now I see that I should have changed that corpse into marker instead of walking). Effigy picked up my central marker. Pandora killed Doxy for Punish, pushed towards Emissary and somehow managed to kill it outside of her activation and summon the Poltergeist of it. He used his last card to do that and I could have saved him, as at this point I had Red Joker, 13 and Black Joker in my hand. But I decided I will let him die, because these cards were a death sentence to Pandora. Reva activated and, as I wasn't sure whether he flipped Red Joker or not this turn (he did), I decided to cheat my attack flip to guarantee a cheatable damage and killed Pandora with Red Joker. Then I have killed also his poltergeist for Punish the Weak and walked towards his Effigy. I have positioned Datsue Ba to pick his central marker on turn four.

Turn four was relatively quick: Datsue Ba picked up a marker and took some damage from Baby Kade, Reva summoned Corpse Candle close to Effigy, his last minion, to overcome Armor, charged and killed it; with her last AP and (0) Reva killed also Iggy which was probably a waste of AP, I should have walked – it could have mattered on the last turn. At the end of the turn Raderk had all markers for Search the Ruins and believed that he was going to win 7:6. Turn five Belle walked and lured Reva, Reva summoned a corpse candle, placed to it, walked twice towards his rightmost marker and used Look at My Deeds with a trigger ...and Despair – what a fitting name! – to turn Hayreddin's and Changeling's corpses into Scheme Markers and thus scoring 2 points for Covert and taking victory from Raderk (he had no more minions, so I scored the last Punish as well). What a game!

Me: Strategy 3, Covert 2, Punish 3.

Raderk: Strategy 3, Search 3, Punish 1.

All in all, I don't find Lampads that impressive if you don't have activation control Nicodem provides. In my other game I have tried Rogue Necromancy with Admiration and I would also like to try Datsue Ba w/MLH with Izamu. I am also extremely excited to find out what this new henchman from encounter's box offers to this kind of crew.

• Like 4