Severe terrain size

oistene

Hi y'all,

I am planning to make myself some patches of severe terrain (graveyard to be exact). What would be good sizes for these patches? How big can they be before they'll be too big and nobody will ever want to walk into them, and how small can they be before they do not matter at all?

I find that hazardous terrain is most important for lures, pushes and causing bottlenecks. 

If you take the Mysterious Emmissary's Hungry land ability it places a 50mm hazardous terrain marker, with a 3" 'threat' radius. Using this as a guide I wouldn't go larger than 6"-7" across and no smaller than 50mm.

I think it depends a lot on the shape and the other bits of terrain around it, as well as where you place it. Is your board modular or is like a full static thing? I tend to keep my severe terrain around the 50-100mm size using bases to map out a basic shape and then add little curves or whatever as necessary and I place it on the table last so that way I have a feel for if it will actually come into play or not. I can take pics later if you'd like to see.

• Like 1

I'll be using a modular board, pretty much revolving around this set: https://www.4ground.co.uk/the-curse-of-dead-mans-hand?product_id=1348

Using all the buildings will probably be excessive, and I also want to add a few trees for variety. With enough pieces, I might even have enough for two tables. And yes, I'd love to see pics.

11 hours ago, oistene said:

I'll be using a modular board, pretty much revolving around this set: https://www.4ground.co.uk/the-curse-of-dead-mans-hand?product_id=1348

Using all the buildings will probably be excessive, and I also want to add a few trees for variety. With enough pieces, I might even have enough for two tables. And yes, I'd love to see pics.

That set is really freakin cool. Here's the pics I promised: https://imgur.com/a/iAuRY

• Like 1

That's great, thanks! Seems like a really good size, that way I can have many without any single one blocking too much of the table.

Also, the 4Ground set (really, pretty much anything 4Ground creates) is freakin cool indeed. Went together easy as that, I highly recommend it.

There isn't really such a thing as too large a patch of severe terrain, because you build your crew after seeing the table, and if you see the table has large sections of Severe, then you ought to adjust your crew to fit. I've played games where we had a large river across the middle of the board (about 8" wide and going from 1 deployment zone to another, so 36" long, ) and its perfectly playable as severe. It pushes up the value of Unimpeded, Flight/incorporeal and Ranged attacks for example. 

That said, for modular purposes I'd want to break them up a bit. I would consider making the gravestones in groups of rows, maybe 2 deep by 4, or something like that, allowign for paths between groups of the graves. You could then sometimes place multiple sections together for larger sections. (Based on wandering around old English Graveyards, no idea what they would be like in frontier western towns). You could also then use then as severe and Hard cover in some games, server in others and just Hard cover in others. 

That scenery looks great. You could easily use it ll in 1 table though.

Crossing a piece of severe terrain will cost you the width of the terrain + your base size, so even a 1mm piece of terrain can have interesting effects on movement (Small models move almost twice as fast as large models over something that small), but you may find that size seems to small to affect the board in a lot of games. 

• Like 2

I won't make the rows too neat, I want them a bit random and ruined to fit the rest of the town and to be more, well, Malifaux. However, I'll put magnets on the actual headstones, so that even large bases can move into the terrain without problems. Making them somewhat modular is a great idea, though.