Painting red fire.

Jewomie

Hello all, just a quick question really about painting with reds. 

I am working on a crew currently and have been tasked with giving the death marshals red flames. There is no other colors in the crew. Greyscales, with red flames. Nice and easy. Until I thought about it for a second. 

I was hoping to see if anyone here had tips for keeping the flames red, no oranges or yellows like proper fire, but how to also avoid making it pink.

I've done a few Google searches, but that seems to either turn up professional canvas painting in a million different colors, or flame decals on cars. So if anyone has any tips or even pictures, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you in advance!

Not sure I am following. You want to mix a single red colour with only black and white because you aren't allowed to use colours or does it only need to look like you used a single colour on the model? Can you mix it with some orange or yeallow to make warm transitions and top it with white or bone in the mix to keep it from going pink but still keep the tone in the red area so it won't show that you added orange?

Oh I can use as many colors as I'd like, but the idea is to not stray into orange or pinks. So while I can have transitions and all that, but they don't want it to go too far away from red.

Great tip on the bone color, I would assume the yellow in that is just enough to keep it from going pink? Sounds like it would work.

After some trial and error, I am thinking the best way to handle this with such a limited palette is to fade from bright red to nearly black at the tips. Anything else is going to end up out of bounds.

• Like 1

Yeah, I meant to just keep if from going pink qhen you highlight. The possible problem is that you probably want the red ro be pretty light compared to surrounding colours since we expect flames to give light which translates to being beighter than surrounding colours on minis. If the model is bright maybe you couls reverse it so the flames are darker and spread darkness, sounds like it could look good. Would love to see your wip pics!

• 1 month later...