Alternate Crew to Kaeris

Moondog

I'm looking for a new Archanist crew. At the moment I've got Kaeris and while she's fairly flexible she really excels when the Schemes and Strats are scheme marker heavy. I've had a lot of success with her with the 2017 schemes and strats - claim jump, leave your mark, covert breakthrough, set up and others are easy. I need a new go to crew to use as an alternative. A crew that's better when there are a lot of schemes that don't require scheme markers.

At the moment as well as Johana in terms of models I have:

*Kaeris box

*Gunsmith

*Raptor

*Joss

*Captain

*Union miner

*Large arachnids

*Mech rider

*Metal Gamin

I like the look of Colette, but is she sufficiently different to Kaeris  (I've never played her)? She strikes me as another master who can drop a lot of scheme marker but I've never seen her in action. What do you think?

Thanks

Do you like the look of Sandeep?  He can do everything. 

My personal fave is Marcus. Very flexible fast and killy.

Colette overlaps a bit with Kaeris yeah. Lots of marker stuff and she is also a support master. Although she is a bit different with prompt being her main action. Between Colette and Kaeris you should be fine doing any of the viable schemes.

I would go with Marcus.

• Like 3

Colette is really scheme marker heavy as well, though she has other tricks like being able to move Showgirls around with Disappearing Act and pass out extra AP with Prompt and All Together Now.

I'd consider grabbing Mei Feng next, as Kaeris and her like to share a bunch of the same things in their lists (Constructs and models that give Burning).  She's quite different from how Kaeris plays as well (strong anti-Sh and Ca aura in Vent Steam, good combo potential with Tigers Claw and Jackhammer Kick, and can fly around the map with Railwalker), so she has that going for you over Colette.

• Like 1

First where your collection really complements:

Mei Feng works well with several of the models you already have, her box set is good and she plays somewhat differently from Kaeris, still fast but more master kill potential.

Ironsides is also an option especially as you already have a number of models that she likes and again her crew box is value with the Ox Mages, she is a slower more grind master and crew, with ranged or melee build options.  Another option.

Ramos is an obvious choice given the models you have, he is more expensive a choice as you'll need his box + extra arachnids and you end up doubling up on Joss, but he is a great master, does many of the schemes Kaeris does well but differently and has other strengths as well.

A note here I'd go out and buy Arcane Effigy and Johan as these models are superb in certain lists and with M&SU more so.  Also Angelica + the Raptors is a cause of Malifaux forum rage, Angelica is a great model to get.

Now others:

Colette, excellent master, fun to play very schemey, may overlap strongly with Kaeris but plays different.  You don't have a huge number of complementing models but her box set is excellent and Kaeris can get value from Performers and Cassandra (well anyone can). 

Marcus, perhaps with his amazing crew range the ultimate Arcanist toolbox, great master but your collection complements him not at all (except the Raptors) and the exact same huge range of beasts in and out of faction he can take in his crew makes him very expensive to play once you commit.

Sandeep is an excellent toolbox master, currently really strong it seems across many metas, but his box is awful with only the summons only totem getting real consistent play, with Sandeep you'd likely want to buy Raspy box for Ice Gamin and certainly Ironsides for the Ox Mages, so why not start with Ironsides anyway.

Raspy, super slow, super ranged, super blasty ice death.  Very strong crew which complements Kaeris very well - whole fire and ice schtick... But her box is weak, you'll likely want Dec Acolytes, Silent Ones and Snowstorm so slightly expensive (but if I was honestly going to go outside the what I had for the next master choice Raspy would be my option, the additional models you'll get particularly the Silent Ones and Dec Acolytes are exceptional and get regular use in any crew including Kaeris).

So that is it... If it was me I'd think this way:

1. Ironsides (different, you have useful models for her and her box has value)
  2. Mei (more overlap but otherwise see 1.)
  3. Raspy (very different, weak box but exceptional value and use from the other support models you'll want, but more expensive as a result)

All the others I'd say its a pure choice they are all good, play differently to some degree and so are viable but they are generally more expensive options I think with either high overlap (Ramos & Colette), weak boxes (Sandeep) or prohibitively expensive large model pool (Marcus - who is kinda like deciding to buy into an Arcanist sub-faction).  If you really want toolbox masters that can mix it up then Sandeep and Marcus are first tier, and they play very differently so one or the other will likely suit a particular style desire.  

• Like 2

Didn't mention Ice Dancers mainly because Kaeris is probably one of the few Arcanist masters who does not absolutely love them.

Don't get me wrong, awesome and near essential for Raspy herself if only as an option but not an auto buy for Kaeris.

• Like 1

So you've actually set yourself up well by starting with Kaeris - she is a 'do anything' sort of master.  There are very few strat and scheme combinations where it will feel like you can't use her and have a shot at winning.  That said, there's typically a better option for any given scheme pool in Arcanist.  Think mostly about what how you want to play, and get the master that most suits that style.  I love playing Colette crews, since they have a plethora of tactical positioning and sideways thinking.  If you're more interested in getting into a toe-to-toe slugfest, then best bet is to go for Marcus.  Want to try summoning?  Ramos is the most efficient summoner in the game, bringing in up to 3 models in for one AP.  Sandeep allows you to try a slightly more traditional summoner, with a decent list of models to summon.  Rasputina is the blaster master, with ranged attacks and blast markers everywhere.  Ironsides is the tank of the arcanist masters, and can be fun to pull off some crazy combo strings.  Lastly, Mei Feng is the hit and run master, although most often her best move is to stand still and throw up a smoke screen.

On the surface, Mei Feng looks like a good choice, since she can also exploit burning, and she and Kaeris have a fondness for some of the same models (Rail Golem).  Personally, if you are looking for cross-master usefulness of models, I think you're best to go with Ramos or Ironsides, who both beef up your ranks of M&SU options.  But if you really want something different, go with either Marcus or Rasputina.  Biggest drawback with Marcus is that soon you'll find youself picking up all the beasts from all the factions to try out with him.

• Like 2