How are wastrels?

Raresterror

Good day to you all. First let me say I did try to search for this but I couldn't find anything unless I missed it. Here is my question. How are wastrel viewed as guild models? I'm relatively new (less than 6 months) and don't have all the guild models I probably should have, but I like them. Between swagger, bravado and cast offs I think that's a great trifecta. I know they are a bit slow, but guild I feel has good options to speed things up, i.e. McCabe, The Judge, Withchling handlers, death marshalled box. So are these the feelings of a newbie and wastrels aren't worth it or are they a valuable model? Thank you in advance.

I have always seen them as an ok healer for 4ss. They are cheap, and versatile, but one of the downsides to cheap is they are easy to remove which doesn't do so well with their combat capabilities. 

They work best with McCabes upgrade cycling as I can't think of another way to get them an upgrade, but if you want healing in your crew, they are probably one of your best options. And whilst its a 2 action to heal, the triggers are typically  1 action worth or better. 

Would I always use them? No, but they aren't a bad package for 4 ss, and you can typically find something useful for them to do each turn. 

• Like 2

The problem with the "free" extra action is that half the time you flip a useless action like heal when you're at full wounds, ml when no one is in range or sh when you're engaged. With an ugrade you can choose to get the right suit, without one a card ia often a price I'm not willing to pay.

They are great with the glowing saber and reactivate!

I use them frequently with Mc Cabe but never without him for the above reasons.

Then again you may have a playstyle where you find use for them, their sh attack is pretty good for a 4ss model even if they're extremely squishy. Plus flips are in my opinion better the less likely you would be to spend a cheated card from your hand on that duel, it can lead to hitting because your opponent can't be bothered to cheat against it or it can force cards out from their hand if you go for a wounded target that they need to keep alive or something. Their fiercest competition come from pistoleros de latigo who have an aura buff, a better ml attack and a better sh attack (also with a plus flip if you target the right model). Piatoleros are one stone more but probably worth it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Raresterror said:

Awesome replies. Thank you. In a McCabe list would you use 1,2, or 3?

Depends a lot on schemes and such. If you have a single one it is very likely to die before it gets to do any damage. Too many and their squiahiness can become a liability for the entire list, especially if the enemy is rewarde for killing them.

I often run McCabe with very elite lists so a wastrel, Luna, a hound, the effigy and the rest is probably models at 9ss or more.

They are definitely a harder sell in Guild when not used with McCabe for reasons outlined above, especially now that Reporters are available. The main draws they offer are Ruthless, :+fate to the attack flip of their gun and their (2) action heal with various great (but situational and usually random) effects, all on a 4SS Significant Minion. Defensive on Df4 is kind-of pants though.

So with that they work off the Minion keyword (McCabe, Lucius, LadyJ), give you cheap activations that can Interact, a heal, shooting that is sort-of ignoring cover and effectively ignore Terrifying and Manipulative.

As pointed out, Bravado is not much value for crews led by Masters other than McCabe and Lynch, but can still be situationally useful. The only other way I can think of for them to get upgrades is from Jack Daw. Shifting Loyalty campaign injuries count as upgrades, by-the-by  ;)

At their peak usefulness in Guild with McCabe, there's the obvious Glowing Sabre/Reactive/Promises/Bravado for :ram/4 x card cycle combo, but a Reactivating Wastrel with an upgrade on it (even Barbs) can shoot twice with :mask's on it's first activation to attempt to get Focus each time for the next attack, then when it reactivates could use Cast-Offs to heal someone and take a Focus shot again with better Dg and :blast's from the Soulstone Bullet trigger, and still cycle 4 cards that turn. If they have the Badge Of Speed they can Nimble then use Cast-Offs to throw the Badge to someone else.

• Like 2