Another just starting thread

Uprisng

I recently started Malifaux with some of my friends wanting to start playing on the side to our other hobbies.  I have played years of 40k and AOS, but want to try something a little different hobby wise.  I am more of a painter, and can't wait to get started.  Currently, I only have the $15 rule book and no crew.  Also, to start out, a buddy and I are splitting the starter set.  He is taking the neverborn because He has pick Zoraida as his first crew. 

On the topic of master, I spent the last week looking over all the crews/faction lore and models.  Game play not as much as an issue.  We are just here to have fun.  If we get serious about this, we can get more competitive crew down the road. Here what I am thinking:

Guild:  I do not know why, but I hate every guild model except for the hounds, starter set crew, and mcmourning.  The lore and models just do not appeal to me. 

Gremlins:  No real interest.  I have enough greenskinz(300+ models for AOS), and do not want to paint gremlins.  Also, my buddy basically want to play them, and do not want to step on his toes. 

Ten Thunder:  They have some neat models and lore, but I can always get the master I want in other faction.  The pure Ten thunder guys do not interest me.  Sorry Asami, and shenlong.  

Outcast:  I really love the idea of Hamelin,, and Tara here.  I have a soft spot for horde in every game i play, and Hamelin has great lore.  The models are great, and look fun.  From what I heard he a bit of a much for starting but you get rats, all the rats.  Its like I am in new york city again.  On Tara, again great models and lore.  Do not understand how she plays(still new and all). 

Neverborn: Titania, and Dreamer/lord chompy. Great models and lore here as well.  My fav is Dreamer, he is just a great concept.  A boy dreams made a reality, I would hate to see his dreams when he grows up.  I can picture his colorful crew matching down the grim and dirty streets of malifaux.  Titania as well look great, but not release yet is an issue.  

Arcanist:  I have three master I love:  Marcus, Raspuntina, and Colette.  The rest are just meh, and do not wish to collect them.  Marcus is interesting because of all the beast I can use in game.  this gives me great variety to use in painting.  From what I heard, he is more of an alpha strike crew.  Rasputina is great models and lore, how does she play?  Finally Colette models are great, but I hear she is a nightmare for beginners to play.  

Ressies:  To be fair, I will probably go with Ressie in the end.  I love most of the master models and lore (except molly and Seamus, they are just meh).  The three I love most are Kirai, Mcmourning, and Reva.  Kirai is what got me into malifaux in the first place, model wise.  But from my research, you need a lot of models for her, and I have no idea where to start(It seems her crew box is everything she summons...).  Reva is nice but not out yet, but the crew I really like.  She plays a range game which is unique for ressie.  Finally, mcmourning seems like a solid starting point(he goes with the model in the starter sent), but how does he play?  

I know this is longed winded, but here a summary of my top 7ish(in no order) due to lore/models(I do not know the rules yet, so gameplay is unknown):

Kirai, Msmourning, reva, Marcus, Dreamer, Hamelin, and Titania or raspuntia.   

Thanks for reading (feeling people are going to say Ressie, but I would like input/advice). 

• Like 1

McMourning is a beater master that likes the poison condition. In Ressers he can turn his kills into undead minions. 

With your top 3 being Resser, you should probably go Resser. I don't know much about Kirai, but if you like Herbert West, or Dr. Frankenstein, I recommend McMourning. 

• Like 1

If you are thinking about Resers this post is a great place to start - a few of my locals  have leveraged it and have spoken highly of it. Malifaux also as a Tatica/Wiki located here (note that this is fan maintained / contributed and is probably moving soon) but may help you narrow down some of your picks.

Welcome through the Breach! Enjoy :)

• Like 2

My advice in these situations is always the same. First, do exactly what you have done and pick the guys that interest you (based on whatever criteria that is). Second, figure out which Faction has the most overlap in these guys and choose that Faction. The reason being this game really, really, rewards you for staying in Faction so you can reuse models and have choice in Master after seeing the Strat and Scheme pool.  So for ressers you have 3, that would be the top pick in my opinion. Hamelin is all alone, Dreaner and Titania are a possibility if you were to decide that you like those two specifically a lot more than any of the ressers. As for Marcus and Raspy while it would give a wide choice in playstyles after seeing the objectives, they don't have a lot of overlap in models that they both like to use. 

• Like 1

Welcome to Malifaux. As a Resser player myself you have made a great choice. I started with Nico, and he was a lot of fun with the limited models I started with. I did have a bit of Anxiety when I wanted to summon a model that I didn’t own, luckily my play group was kind enough to let me proxy models so I could get experience with other models and figure out what where high priority purchases. It sounds like you have a good play group to get started, that will let you get away with a proxy or two for a time, so don't let the summoning part of Ressers scare you away.  

As for the masters you said you like I think McMouning is probably one of the easiest Ressers to get started with, his box set gives you Nurses and Sebastian which are great models with a lot of other masters like to use, as is the flesh construct just to a lesser degree. McMouning is a fairly straight forward master, and offers mostly killing but can offer a few little tricks. I think this makes a good starting master.

Karai is a lot of fun and regarded as the best Resser master. As a summoner though she does have a lot models that she can summon in any given turn. While she can do a lot of other things, you will more than likely still be summoning at least one model during her activation. You’ll find that most summoning masters will build a crew with models that they cannot summon, which in a lot cases tends to be other masters henchman, or enforcers. She has a lot tricks that make her a difficult starting master. 

As Reva is not out yet, I wasn’t going to touch on her much, but she is awesome. The crew I have recently been taking with her has been mostly elite, meaning high soul stone cost usually equating to henchman and masters. Most henchman are found Master boxes some are not, so may be a good second or third Resser master. She is however a fairly straight forward master as well, she kills!

Start with the crew that looks the coolest, once you have choosen a faction I would recommend staying in faction as much as possible as you will get the maximum out of your models. Don’t be surprised when in a year you own all the Resser models, once the Grave Spirit touches you it is hard to stop accumulating Undead.

• Like 2

Neverborn has Teddy, which is the iconic face of Malifaux.  We win!

Your first instinct is to hate Guild.  That's a good one!  Stay with it!  And you know who hates the Guild the most?  Neverborn!

Dreamer is a fantastic model.  I love his look, his lore, and his playstyle.  I love the models he summons.  Pretty much everything about him is awesome.  

Titania is Queen of the Fae.  And she has a whole new queen/old queen storyline with Lilith, which also includes Nekima.  Who are all awesome.

However, Dreamer and Titania don't have a lot of overlap.  Dreamer likes Nightmares, which Titania doesn't necessarily care about.  Dreamer likes a lot of things that are core Neverborn, so he's a good starting point to get in to the faction if you really like him, but Titania comes from the other side.

The upside is that if you get all you need for Dreamer and all you need for Titania, you're basically just a couple masters away from having everything. ;)

• Like 1

Hello everyone.  I would like to first say thank you for all your support and advice.  It is so nice to see a community be so welcoming of new players.  Anyway, you all probably want to know who wins, who the first crew?  The answer is not simple.  I am getting each crew professional painted, so I am looking at about $300 per crew box.  I want to get into tournaments, so might as well go all out.  That is not including the cost/material/time for the display boards I make (I love terrain building). 

But, The good news is i have a top 4 master and a faction.  Ressie are where the heart is.  I like the themes too much, and they fit my style(rise my minions).  Guild and gremlins are a no go, just not enough models I like(sorry zap and guild hounds).  Arcanist while interesting seem to complex for a beginner, but one day.  Same for the neverborn.  Interesting but does not give me that wow factor for a lot of the range(maybe blame the fact I have three chaos armies from GW, so daemon seem meh).  I might get dreamer down the road and convert everything from his crew to be dinosaur(aka my childhood). Outcast might be my sec faction due to the fact I love Tara, and hamelin so much.  So basically if i stay with it, second faction will be outcast, neverborn or arcanist.  But time will tell. 

so, the top four are: Kirai, Mcmourning, Reva, Tara.  I will be going to the ressie forum, and see their thoughts.  Thanks everyone. 

Edit:  I forgot Ten thunders:  They are just so forgettable. 

• Like 2