godswearhats' Beginner's Guide to Ressers

godswearhats

I would say that I think Tara always wants Obliteration Symbiote and Knowledge of Eternity. On the other hand Dead of Winter is somewhat less useful, since Face of Oblivion allows the Tara player to take Void Wretches and Nothing Beast anyway. It's now really just for taking Death Marshals, which would require another box purchased, so probably isn't on the cards at this point. Obliteration Symbiote and Knowledge of Eternity allows Tara to play her offensive bury game, and I wouldn't take her without them. Spare Parts can be a handy third upgrade for Tara, as six AP a turn (and the right cards and enough corpse markers) allows her to produce a fair few Guild Autopsies.

• Like 1

Superb thread, clearly must have taken a great deal of thought and time, well done!

One thing I noticed: Yan Lo does not gain 2 chi from the zombie kill.

Harvest Chi

Gain +1 chi when a model within 8 aura is killed by a model it considers an enemy

Therefore Yan Lo gains +1 chi if an enemy kills the zombie. he does not get chi for a friendly model or himself killing the zombie.

Revitalise (built in trigger on spirit barrage)

Gain 1+ chi after killing the target or dealing severe damage

Therefore if Yan Lo Kills the zombie with a mid damage he gains +1 chi, if he hits a severe (which will also kill the zombie) he will gain +1 chi. In turn 2, he could theoretically spend 1x chi to give the zombie armour +2 then hit severe for +1 chi, not kill the zombie, then hit again to kill it and get +1 chi - but that's just rubbing it in to your opponent how many resources you don't need to beat them.

Perhaps you meant 1x chi from Focus Chi + 1x chi from the Revitalise OR 1x chi from Harvest Chi, but currently the sentence is misleading.

I wonder if it might be useful to add a paragraph on Yan Lo's chi gathering? Yan Lo's chi seems to be one of the more enduring points of confusion in the whole game system.

• Like 1

I'm a brand new player and I plan to start with Seamus and McMourning as you suggest! I'm looking to make some purchases to start these two masters and had a couple questions about your recommendations. For the Seamus starting crew you say you can "Swap out Datsue Ba for Hanged" but you have Hanged in the list and not Datsue Ba so I assume you mean to swap the Hanged out for Datsue Ba?  However, you don't give too many reason to do so! What does Datsue Ba bring over the Hanged?  Also, if I did want to try out Seamus with Bag o' Tools, would you have a different recommendation for a starter crew for that build?

Pinning this to help out new players. Thanks for putting in the effort! :)

One thing I would suggest as a strength of Ressers in general is "Fate advantage" (for lack of a better term). There are many models within the Faction that either have built-in :+fate to already powerful actions (Punk Zombies and the Rogue Necromancy, for example), or who can create that advantage for others (widespread Adversary among the Spirits, Nicodem and Toshiro's auras, etc), which makes Resser crews highly card-efficient.

The other strength I would attribute to them is "Manipulation" or perhaps "Control". The most obvious examples are the Belles with their cheap and reliable Lures, and Nurses with their Meds, but there are loads of Resser models that can inflict debilitating Conditions, move friendly or enemy models into more favourable positions, and force the opponent to discard cards from their hand.

(I would also rail against the relegation of Nicodem to the "Summoner" box, because I've personally found he does far better in the "Aggro" role, but people can read up on that in other threads.)

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Lord Malkom said:

you didn't mention Toshiro with the reanimate upgrade. Is it that bad or does it never fit to anything?
I thought vs. Mei feng for example to remove the Scrap markers und buffing ashigarus?

Toshiro is not a bad model, he just has a very particular niche. The aim of this guide was to provide a broad overview of the faction and the different masters to help people get started, without going too deeply into scheme, strategy or opponent specifics.

Ah ok.

Well in my case it is actually the exact order I bought or I want to buy the masters. So I've done everything right. I should have known earlier that the emissary is THAT good.

I'd love to see another guide, you've done it really well.

I still do stupid things in game. Going mid with Sybelle and getting her killed in the 2nd round... :-/

But the next guide would be harder. Where to start and where to end? Maybe strategys and schemes? Good models/masters for them and bad ones. Because I never know if I'm doing something good or something terrible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...