Playing against Pigapult

Erik1978

On 2017-03-14 at 8:16 PM, wizuriel said:

Unless the pult has sparks it shouldn't be shooting 4 times a turn (or some other way to get fast).

Also keep in mind if they are using stuffed pigs as ammo the pigapult suffers -1 to SH and can't cheat damage. If you can go for the ammo that tends to really neuter the pult (and all those blasts will also do some damage to it). Engaging it also stops it from shooting and not much it can do to get out of engagement. 

I believe the gremlin faction actually has several friendly pushes so there is ple ty it can do to get out.

The gremlin player also chooses if they want the pigs to explode on death so try can juat choose not to do that. I still think going after the ammo can be a good wayto handle it.

@Erik1978 There is nothing sayi g that every board should have a sweet pigapult nest. I tend to set.up boards that are terrain heavy in the centre to block sniper LoS but where the deployment zones have very little cover so a model that crosse the center line or sets up in a dangerous position can see most of the opposing deployment zone. 

You also need to decide if you really need to go after the pigapult or can ignore it using the likes of Sebastian or models with high defensive stats or serious damage reduction and make it not earn its points back if it is used for killing. If it is sending schemers into your backfield you could try targeting those instead of the pigapult itself.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Erik1978 said:

Sounds like a rookie Gremlin player.

I wouldn't expect a desolation engine to last more than 1 turn against Gremlins.

Probably one of the most experienced gremlin players in the UK actually.

Also once the desolation engine is done it pulses, and when it dies it summons 2 abominations which also pulse to all the grouped up gremlins and pult.

20 hours ago, Ludvig said:

You also need to decide if you really need to go after the pigapult or can ignore it using the likes of Sebastian or models with high defensive stats or serious damage reduction and make it not earn its points back if it is used for killing. If it is sending schemers into your backfield you could try targeting those instead of the pigapult itself.

A few "issues" with this:

1. I mostly play Outcasts, Sebastian don't like to play with those guys, and designing a crew with purely high Df and/or damage reduction will handicap me in other ways I suspect. If I even CAN make a crew like that.

2. I never know IF the Pigapult is going to show up, although there is a good chance since it's such an easy to use silly model but still, designing my crew in "hopes" there will be a pigapult might put me at a disadvantage. I like the Soulstone Miner idea, that will be useful nomatter what I play, I guess Hans will be too, although he rarely performs very well for me. (But seeing him one-shot a pigapult will be worth pretty much everything) :D

@Erik1978 I'm not familiar enough with outcasts to know exactly but there is usually a choice between glass cannon and a bit sturdier pieces or super light scheme runners or durable ones. I would say that sturdier pieces are preferable toglass cannons when facing gremlins in general since they can always outreach your glass cannons due to their silly amounts of ap. 

You can more or less rely on the 'pult doing weak dmg 3 if it hits. Leveticus can hire necropunks who I believe have enough durability to need three hits for it to kill them. Whateveryou have with armour 2 is better than a completely unarmoured glass cannon. I believe the freikorps suit ignores triggers and some defenses as well as being decently durable? 

Most of the new bandidos are bulletproof which helps vs someof the gremlins, some gremlin players who favour a shooty playstyle. A 5ss model that has bulletproof will take 3 hits to take down, if he goes after those you are probabl coming out ahead. Regardless of list the 'pult will also need to randomize if you are in their faces so if you take models that thrive in melee you may find that helpful.

Something to consider with the SS miner is that it has to unbury 6" from the enemy deployment zone (as well as 6" from enemy models). If the Pigapult is deployed behind a house (or similar blocking/impassable pieces) of at least moderate size, it can take a lot of movement to get to it since it wont move much itself, especially in standard deployment. So think about the possible hiding places before hiring one.

• Like 2