Yet again, asking for my comrades aid!

EpicWaffle

Hello everybody! So in a couple of weeks i'll be partecipating to a 50ss, 3 round tournament in a club close to where i live. So far so good, the thing is tho that the OG decided to choose the scheme prior the tournament and I won't be having much time to practice before the event. Plus, this is a club (in)famous for having a bunch of toxic players, who focus more on tricking new players instead of playing well, with terrible behaviour when put in a pinch (aside from getting really cocky and starting to curse against you, I've had the terrible expirience of finding 2 players intentionally slow playing in order to tie up the match with me in the saem tournament, no joke). Long story short, i wanna be prepared for it, cause i know it's not gonna be nice if i encounter some of these characters, but also because in the same club plays a really good player (every rule has its own exception), with which i'd love to play against again and do well, since last time i lost for 1 point.

So here're the rounds (they follow gg2017 roattions), and i'll follow up with my idea for them:

-Round 1 : Close Deployment, Head Hunter; for schemes we have: Claim Jump, Dig their graves, Hunting party, Leave your mark, Recover evidence.

Not that hard, really depends on who's my opponent, for a Zipp crew (which i plan to take on all 3 matches) to adapt to these schemes: would probably go for either dig their graves/leave your mark or Recover evidence/dig their graves (these 3 seems to me the easier to achive). I think Burt, taxidermist and the 1 mate will make the cut in here, maybe adding the mech pork. Finger woud probably substitue the 1 mate if i'l end up taking recover evidence.

-Round 2: Stake a Claim, Standard deployment; for schemes we have: Claim Jump, Frame for murder, Leave your mark, Search the ruins, Inspection. 

This one should be a good match for the Iron Skeeter's Captain. FFM, Leave your mark and search the ruins might be the one i'd prefer to take, although even calim jump could be a good choice depending on my opponent; not a big fan of Inspection. For crew idea, i could go with the tag team 1 mate/ fingers to ensure my start points, while having some beater in the backline helping Zipp denying his. Maybe 2 or 1 lighting bugs for back up plan (even bayou could do).

-Round 3: Squatter's Right on Corner Deployment; for scheme: Claim jump, Eliminate the leader ship, Accusation, Covert Breakthrough, Last Stand.

So this one's tricky for me, since i never played Squatter's rights (i started playing with gg2016, so i have poor expiriences with the old schemes pool), but i guess that Claim jump  and Eliminate the leadership can both be 2 good choices. Covert breakthrough is also a solid choice for my playstyle, while Accusation and Last stand don't really go along with it (especially last stand since i like to bring some activation control)

Plan here is to bring a solid tank/runner ( 1 mate or/and fingers, which can be brutal paired with zipp for his aura) to control a couple of markers while the rest of the crew annoy and mess with the enemy crew. Guess Gracie could work too, since she's a though girl and can sure hold up her place; even the mech pork, being able to push models away with a mask could do (he's also fast as hell).

Hope to recive some feedback, I really wanna go there and show them what's good, Bayou style! Thanks in advance to anyone passing by! :D 
Edd

Hey man, so sorry to here about your local club but I have a few pointers. For round 1 in close deployment it's important to remember that you don't have to deploy at 12" inches. You have the whole 12" to deploy into so if your playing a really offensive crew it might be a good idea to stay back a bit and set up the graves. If you do decided to play defensively it's also important to remember that you can pick up ANY head so leaving a few bayou gremlins out of cover can have its merits.

For scheme selection I find dig their graves to be one of the harder schemes to pull off as it required so much setup. Recover evidence is a great scheme for zipp and I would suggest taking it and recover evidence. I usually always take claim jump but in such an aggressive strat it could be rough.

For round 2 your plan looks solid but what I'd be doing is sending 2 gremlins on each flank to score inspection AND claim jump simultaneously. I also like to do this because it makes the enemy divert forces from the strat. Keep in mind that this won't be effective against most crews and also to make your gremlins defensive if you have some crappy cards. 

Round three I'd definitely be taking fingers and plonking him on one of the markers. He makes the enemy unable to flip them with chatty, can interact while engage and can heal himself. Only take eliminate the leadership if you know you can take the leader down, if you can't take claim jump and covert breakthrough. As a final not make sure to use zips noxious fumes to block opposing models from the squatters rights markers.

Best of luck out there and I'd love for you to post a little report of the tournament. With slow play just call them out and they usually pick up the pace :)

I'll just respond here assuming you use Zipp in all 3 rounds (I can't blame you for that one.  I did a tournament recently and did Mah/Zipp/Zipp).

1)  Dig Their Graves should be very easy in close deployment with Zipp.  Since anyone can make the kill, I'd have lower models dropping markers while Zipp drags enemies to the markers before killing them.  You can have Earl Burns drop the marker and Zipp grab an enemy and drop them within range before killing them.  Since his damage can't be reduced and he ignores all defensive triggers, it should be an easy 3.

Recover evidence is very easy for Gremlins.  I bring the First Mate and Fingers and let them handle it.  Fingers can obviously do it without worrying about engagement, while the First Mate can Menacing Croak to push an enemy away from the marker, leap into contact with it, and then pick it up.  These two are also a great combination for headhunter.

2) Stake a Claim is another one that the First Mate is great in.  Just be careful not to overextend him too early.  In my tournament he got killed turn 1 (though it was due to my opponent not paying attention, rather than my own mistakes).

I'd probably go with Frame for Murder in this one.  I always take it when it's available, and almost always toss it onto Earl.  They can leave him alive to deny me 2 or 3 points, but it means Zipp is always going to have his defensive trigger and melee trigger built in.  Most people don't want to risk that mask being there for Zipp all the time and would rather relent the points.

If you have other models helping with Stake a Claim, Leave Your Mark is another one for us that isn't hard.  I'd have a short scheme runner get delivered up with an Iron Skeeter to help do this and the strategy.

3) Eliminate the Leadership is pretty easy for Zipp, since he gets around those defensive triggers and armor and almost everything else.  He can be very dangerous against masters if you want him to be.  Especially with his speed.  Unless you're worried your opponent will drop a master that's just impossible to kill, I'd go for this one and have Zipp handle it.  With his repositioning, he can also take the master away from any support models he has with ease.  Against masters, Zipp will (almost?) always have the stat advantage on his Ml attack.

I'm a fan of accusation, but there aren't really many trick models or anything to throw in for it.  Maybe a tanky model that can get engaged and then use its AP for to scheme, but other than that anyone can do it.  Reckless definitely helps.

Covert Breakthrough is yet another easy one for us.  Fingers and First Mate are great here.  I keep going back to them because Fingers can easily get 3 AP and he's very hard to kill, and the First Mate essentially has 3 AP with his Leap.  Place marker, Leap (or walk with Fingers), place second marker.  Anything that can go reckless can do it pretty fast, assuming they survive long enough.

Squatters Rights is similar to Covert Breakthrough.  Get the models up there to do it turn 1 or 2 (skeeters can carry a small reckless model, they can flip a marker, walk to the next, and flip it).  I tend to grab as many as I can and then hold the positions with models so my opponent just can't interact to flip it.  If you don't have Zipp off killing a leader, you can literally have him sit between markers on one side, with Fingers sitting between markers on the other side.  They both have auras that block interact actions (Zipp's being slightly weaker than Fingers, but it definitely gets the job done).  If you can keep them there positioned properly, then your opponent has to kill or push them in order to score points.  The center will be the only one they can flip, so have a Skeeter flip it and hold it if you can.  Give it the pianos so once it flips the marker, it can just launch pianos at whatever tries to get too close.

Also, as another note, Claim Jump is very easy for us.  So if you get a good couple of models you're comfortable with performing it, it's ALWAYS an available scheme.  Get good with it and that's 3 points you can always get.

1 hour ago, DanteJH said:

Hey man, so sorry to here about your local club but I have a few pointers. For round 1 in close deployment it's important to remember that you don't have to deploy at 12" inches. You have the whole 12" to deploy into so if your playing a really offensive crew it might be a good idea to stay back a bit and set up the graves. If you do decided to play defensively it's also important to remember that you can pick up ANY head so leaving a few bayou gremlins out of cover can have its merits.

For scheme selection I find dig their graves to be one of the harder schemes to pull off as it required so much setup. Recover evidence is a great scheme for zipp and I would suggest taking it and recover evidence. I usually always take claim jump but in such an aggressive strat it could be rough.

For round 2 your plan looks solid but what I'd be doing is sending 2 gremlins on each flank to score inspection AND claim jump simultaneously. I also like to do this because it makes the enemy divert forces from the strat. Keep in mind that this won't be effective against most crews and also to make your gremlins defensive if you have some crappy cards. 

Round three I'd definitely be taking fingers and plonking him on one of the markers. He makes the enemy unable to flip them with chatty, can interact while engage and can heal himself. Only take eliminate the leadership if you know you can take the leader down, if you can't take claim jump and covert breakthrough. As a final not make sure to use zips noxious fumes to block opposing models from the squatters rights markers.

Best of luck out there and I'd love for you to post a little report of the tournament. With slow play just call them out and they usually pick up the pace :)

Oh i did, but it's really miserable seeing people getting to that level in order to win. I guess people forget that 1 of all you're playing a game, not running for president. Luckly it's not my local club, just close-ish to where i live. 

Btw thatnks for the good tips, the only thing i don't quite share is about inspection: sure taking 2 gremlin and just having them sitting in the 4 inch bubble is easy, but sometimes can be rough to score constantly if they counter it. So if i see a pure elite crew, i'm going for it (i usually have between 1\2 bugs or a couple of bayou for those stuff with me), otherwise it can get difficult. For dig their graves, Zipp reposition, Poorl ahndled explosives and finger ability to place a scheme even if engaged (or to discard an enemy one to place one of yours) can help out to make it easier.
Thanks a lot and i'll post a Battle report for sure after the tournament (will problably be on Zipp thread if i'll end up playing just him).

EDIT: forgot to say that with the 1 round that was the idea, to make him come to me and play in my field, instead of me going into his. Stuff like Hovering airship will make it even easier in theory.

51 minutes ago, Four_N_Six said:

I'll just respond here assuming you use Zipp in all 3 rounds (I can't blame you for that one.  I did a tournament recently and did Mah/Zipp/Zipp).

1)  Dig Their Graves should be very easy in close deployment with Zipp.  Since anyone can make the kill, I'd have lower models dropping markers while Zipp drags enemies to the markers before killing them.  You can have Earl Burns drop the marker and Zipp grab an enemy and drop them within range before killing them.  Since his damage can't be reduced and he ignores all defensive triggers, it should be an easy 3.

Recover evidence is very easy for Gremlins.  I bring the First Mate and Fingers and let them handle it.  Fingers can obviously do it without worrying about engagement, while the First Mate can Menacing Croak to push an enemy away from the marker, leap into contact with it, and then pick it up.  These two are also a great combination for headhunter.

2) Stake a Claim is another one that the First Mate is great in.  Just be careful not to overextend him too early.  In my tournament he got killed turn 1 (though it was due to my opponent not paying attention, rather than my own mistakes).

I'd probably go with Frame for Murder in this one.  I always take it when it's available, and almost always toss it onto Earl.  They can leave him alive to deny me 2 or 3 points, but it means Zipp is always going to have his defensive trigger and melee trigger built in.  Most people don't want to risk that mask being there for Zipp all the time and would rather relent the points.

If you have other models helping with Stake a Claim, Leave Your Mark is another one for us that isn't hard.  I'd have a short scheme runner get delivered up with an Iron Skeeter to help do this and the strategy.

3) Eliminate the Leadership is pretty easy for Zipp, since he gets around those defensive triggers and armor and almost everything else.  He can be very dangerous against masters if you want him to be.  Especially with his speed.  Unless you're worried your opponent will drop a master that's just impossible to kill, I'd go for this one and have Zipp handle it.  With his repositioning, he can also take the master away from any support models he has with ease.  Against masters, Zipp will (almost?) always have the stat advantage on his Ml attack.

I'm a fan of accusation, but there aren't really many trick models or anything to throw in for it.  Maybe a tanky model that can get engaged and then use its AP for to scheme, but other than that anyone can do it.  Reckless definitely helps.

Covert Breakthrough is yet another easy one for us.  Fingers and First Mate are great here.  I keep going back to them because Fingers can easily get 3 AP and he's very hard to kill, and the First Mate essentially has 3 AP with his Leap.  Place marker, Leap (or walk with Fingers), place second marker.  Anything that can go reckless can do it pretty fast, assuming they survive long enough.

Squatters Rights is similar to Covert Breakthrough.  Get the models up there to do it turn 1 or 2 (skeeters can carry a small reckless model, they can flip a marker, walk to the next, and flip it).  I tend to grab as many as I can and then hold the positions with models so my opponent just can't interact to flip it.  If you don't have Zipp off killing a leader, you can literally have him sit between markers on one side, with Fingers sitting between markers on the other side.  They both have auras that block interact actions (Zipp's being slightly weaker than Fingers, but it definitely gets the job done).  If you can keep them there positioned properly, then your opponent has to kill or push them in order to score points.  The center will be the only one they can flip, so have a Skeeter flip it and hold it if you can.  Give it the pianos so once it flips the marker, it can just launch pianos at whatever tries to get too close.

Also, as another note, Claim Jump is very easy for us.  So if you get a good couple of models you're comfortable with performing it, it's ALWAYS an available scheme.  Get good with it and that's 3 points you can always get.

I'll goo point by point:

1) Totally on board with you.

2) Frame for murder is one of my favourite scheme, because it's so much fun and requires a good poker face in order to score 3 points, only problem is your opponent is the one making you get the points: this could be easly done with a lot of our models (in this case, the first mate can be a good target if you know that the only way he's going to kill it is with Master/henchmans, since if he leave him by himslef, it will deny every single point he'd want to score).  So i'll definetly keep it in the pool, but if i can get points in a more reliable way it would be better.

3) On board with you, and i think that I'll be running a lot of stuffed, since they have a 10'' walk and can be pretty annoying when you really have to make an interact, but you 1 need to kill the damn Stuffed xD 

Thanks a lot for the advices ;)

A good strategy (or a jerk strategy, depending on who you ask) is to keep either Burt or Trixie near your FfM target.  Master or Henchman attacks Burt?  Burt can pass the attack onto the FfM target and score 3.  Enforcer or Minion?  Burt can take the hit.  It's not a perfect way to sneak in FfM, especially if your opponent just assumes that Burt is the target to begin with, but it's another way to sneak it in.

• Like 1