Starting Arcanist Crew on Vassal

Xavian and Deathgrip

So I am having my first game of Malifaux on Vassal today and I just realized that I need to dtermine my crew. I do not have the books, so upgrades and costs are something that I can't really find out. But I have a general idea of what I want for my crew. 

Ironsides

Mouse

Oxfordian Mage (runes)

Oxfordian Mage (runes)

Lust

Arcane Effigy

Not sure how many points that is.

That depends a lot on what your schemes/strat (and size of game) is, but for myself some key things I'd add in is at least one Henchman (Captain's good but shares a similar spot as Lust) for the benefits to Warding Runes that the Oxfordians give, give Ironsides Challenge the Crowd and Warding Runes, consider bringing a 3rd Oxfordian (with the new upgrade it's 3 for 15 compared to 2 for 12 so good value), and optionally someone good in Melee, maybe Howard.

31 minutes ago, retnab said:

That depends a lot on what your schemes/strat (and size of game) is, but for myself some key things I'd add in is at least one Henchman (Captain's good but shares a similar spot as Lust) for the benefits to Warding Runes that the Oxfordians give, give Ironsides Challenge the Crowd and Warding Runes, consider bringing a 3rd Oxfordian (with the new upgrade it's 3 for 15 compared to 2 for 12 so good value), and optionally someone good in Melee, maybe Howard.

Err...

I just realized I don't even know the schemes. The time difference bewteen me and my correspondant is 8 hours, which makes communication difficult. 

Also isn't Lust a henchwoman?

I can see the merit of the third mage, and I will check pullmyfinger for another henchman I could take.

Lust is a Mercenary Enforcer. With the Merc tax she prices like a Henchman.

If you're running Ironsides in a 50 point game that might involve killing things or holding ground, Joss with Warding Runes is a good starting point for 11 stones. He's got the important M&SU characteristic that works with Ironsides' passive buff, and Warding Runes with all three Wards nearby makes him a harder to deal with, especially when he reactivates and heals up above the Hard to Kill threshold.

The Captain is solid as well, because he can help get your stuff to where it needs to be, and he's carrying a Relic Hammer (and M&SU). With Warding Runes he's also an 11 stone commitment. There are other upgrades you might consider as well, but that's a good starting point for Ironsides.

3 hours ago, spooky_squirrel said:

Lust is a Mercenary Enforcer. With the Merc tax she prices like a Henchman.

If you're running Ironsides in a 50 point game that might involve killing things or holding ground, Joss with Warding Runes is a good starting point for 11 stones. He's got the important M&SU characteristic that works with Ironsides' passive buff, and Warding Runes with all three Wards nearby makes him a harder to deal with, especially when he reactivates and heals up above the Hard to Kill threshold.

The Captain is solid as well, because he can help get your stuff to where it needs to be, and he's carrying a Relic Hammer (and M&SU). With Warding Runes he's also an 11 stone commitment. There are other upgrades you might consider as well, but that's a good starting point for Ironsides.

Alright, I probably won't know the schemes until the match begins, but what would be good for general use?

I was thinking of maybe getting Joss to tag along, as noted above, but I was also wondering about tossing an upgrade on Lust, is that generally not worth it, or is there some upgrades that work?

I should probably also mention that my opponent is playing gremlins.

You're really going into this blindfolded if you don't know the schemes beforehand. Malifaux's designed entirely on the picking models and upgrades based on your objectives.

Lust may as well take Imbued Energies if you don't have another specific upgrade in mind for her. It's among our very best upgrades and is worth taking multiple copies of on your various models, unless the models are full with upgrades already. Giving Energies to Joss is a good idea as well. 

28 minutes ago, hydranixx said:

You're really going into this blindfolded if you don't know the schemes beforehand. Malifaux's designed entirely on the picking models and upgrades based on your objectives.

Lust may as well take Imbued Energies if you don't have another specific upgrade in mind for her. It's among our very best upgrades and is worth taking multiple copies of on your various models, unless the models are full with upgrades already. Giving Energies to Joss is a good idea as well. 

I don't have much to add to this. Malifaux's thing is that you hire your crew once you know the job that you need them to do. Spending 12 stones on Joss (with upgrades like Warding Runes and Imbued Energies or Recharge Soulstone) is an investment of a quarter of your available hiring resources. If he's not the right tool for the job, you're going to have an uphill fight from hiring him on.

1 hour ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

I should probably also mention that my opponent is playing gremlins.

Gremlins' weakness is generally in their Wp stat, but some gremlin builds won't care.

It's unfortunate that you didn't get a chance to get the game in, but one of the things to think about is how you would like to accomplish each potential strategy and scheme. For instance, Guard the Stash only cares about who is around the objectives at the end of the turn. Nothing about it requires sending in a tank early and having them spend the whole game defensive and static (which works really well with good tanks) if you can somehow get the two models that will score it onto the objectives at the very end of the turn.

Also out of curisosity, I sitll haven't really become ecstatic about any of the masters, or factions, but does any master end up playing like the bounty hunter from darkest dungeon? That guys powerfull and tactical playstyle is one of my favorite in any game I have played.