Why does Perdita fight for guild?

ChirpOTK

Shifting Loyalties has a very good conversation with Perdita and the Governor General. It essentially boils down that they are in it for the scrip and soulstones. They also play a large role in transport security for the guild and basically are the Guilds forces to rely upon outside of the city. 

I do think the question is legit and also hope the future will bring more Latiago/Family Guild models to blend it all in a bit better. 

1 hour ago, ChirpOTK said:

Mostly just curious about the story of the Ortega family, why do they throw their lot in with the guild's interests? Is there anywhere I can read up on them?

In short, Perdita started out as a Guild Guard and made good.  She showed up with a handful of scrip and a Guild-issued Peacebringer, and her skills made her rocket up the ranks.  When she wanted to bring her family in, and made it clear they're as good as she is, the Guild went "Well, sure, why not?"  She's been running the new Latigo ranch ever since, through thick and thin - She kills Neverborn, the Guild pays the Family, and the Family keep their ranch going.  This is all very official, to the point where Perdita has an office and an official title - a dusty, unused office, and the title's even dustier, but she's in a position to requisition forces if she strictly needs to.  She just prefers to do her own thing instead.

• Like 1

They're the best at what they do (security and hunting Neverborn), are looked up to as heroes (always good for morale) and are paid and respected by the Guild accordingly.

Recently Perdita has had tensions with the old Governor General who resented the notion of heroes with the freedom, independence and exceptionalism to do their own thing, believing them to be messy loose ends undesirably beyond his absolute control and desire for regimentation/standardization; something he thought the Guild no longer had need of in light of its success and expansion vs its early days. I'm not sure what her relations are to the new one, but given that he's more or less an upstanding guy and far less of a megalomaniacal power obsessed control freak I have no doubt that they're better.

39 minutes ago, Surrealistik said:

They're the best at what they do (security and hunting Neverborn), are looked up to as heroes (always good for morale) and are paid and respected by the Guild accordingly.

Recently Perdita has had tensions with the old Governor General who resented the notion of heroes with the freedom, independence and exceptionalism to do their own thing, believing them to be messy loose ends undesirably beyond his absolute control and desire for regimentation/standardization; something he thought the Guild no longer had need of in light of its success and expansion vs its early days. I'm not sure what her relations are to the new one, but given that he's more or less an upstanding guy and far less of a megalomaniacal power obsessed control freak I have no doubt that they're better.

Being completely fair to the Governor-General, Perdita has a Nephilim as her totem, and has ridden on tamed Nephilim several times before.  It's quite suspicious that they haven't done anything to her but serve, and even more so that they seem to only serve her and her family and no one else.

9 hours ago, Valgaav said:

Being completely fair to the Governor-General, Perdita has a Nephilim as her totem, and has ridden on tamed Nephilim several times before.  It's quite suspicious that they haven't done anything to her but serve, and even more so that they seem to only serve her and her family and no one else.

Guild double standards work out if they favour the Guild, or at least seemed very much the case for the old GG. However in general the trend for the Guild seems that if you can enslave it, it's allowed. Perdita very much shows that she 'controls' these Nephilim to her will. In that same vein the old GG also wasn't too happy about the changes Death Marshals go trough  or Witchlings for that matter but as said the trend seems to work out if the Guild controls it and can use it for it's own agenda.

The new GG seems very straight to the point and I do think Nellie's 'propaganda' is something that is very much in line with his own vision. So without actually knowing much about him I do believe he'll continue the trend of 'control' to the point that he didn't like it one bit that Lucius suddenly was gone for a week orso. My expectation is that the new GG wants to keep the chain short. Likely wanting to be much more involved with Lady J, Sonnia, Perdita and the rest. Likely not minding the (ab)use of their "monsters" as long as they can control it. 

Sonnia's Witchhunters make Perdita's special rounds. Witched Bullets are especially good in game.

I'm surprised that there aren't Mercs within the Ortega clan, but from the fluff the Ortegas are pretty chivalrous people who wouldn't be caught dead helping the Neverborn(exp. Tuco and Papa with Mama Z), Rezzers, or Gremlins.

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Hagisman said:

I'm surprised that there aren't Mercs within the Ortega clan, but from the fluff the Ortegas are pretty chivalrous people who wouldn't be caught dead helping the Neverborn(exp. Tuco and Papa with Mama Z), Rezzers, or Gremlins.

Well, Papa is a special case. He heard the Whispers and went Loco. So who he hangs around with isn't entirely his own choice. (Jack Daw can steal him away too)