Can Von Schill be fun to play and face?

Merellin

Why spoils of war though?

those minions won't kill anything

Ancient Tomes is a great spell, but without ways to capitalize on it (read: Tara, Aionus, Wretches) most of its strategic value is activation control and scoring Take Prisoner on the last turn. 

What I mean is it's not an auto-include, I'd personally go for 2 more SS in the pool or I pay better + Oath Keeper. 

By the way, any love for Anna the evil younger sister?

i haven't had to test her yet, but on paper she looks just fine and well worth the 10 points

9 hours ago, KrazyIvan said:

Played that list tonight. For the record, it's no fun. 

Oh, how come? It looked pretty cool to me - the scion looks like it adds some punch to korpsmann with I pay better, can be healed up fairly reliably and gives some movement to models like Hannah with the blink of an eye ability.

I'm not sure that I am fan of lists heavy in mid/low tier minions and enforcers. Von Schill himself did fine, but not taking another 10+SS model didn't feel good last night. Part of it was my not taking full advantage of the Scion, the other part was spreading myself out too far. I'll be trying it again, of course. I've kind of committed myself to playing Von Schill until I grok him.

It's about getting solid troops that lack a decent attack to use her attacks to make them all dangerous. They are all mercs so with I Pay Better they can reliably get that 7 damage and still have an AP left (or use it on a charge, etc). The card draw (from her attacks) doesn't hurt their defence either unlike using void wretches and there is plenty of potential healing in a VS crew that needs lower TNs and less AP.

I'm not advocating the Scion as the best thing since sliced bread, it's just a model that can bring a different way of playing a VS crew that could be fun, which is what the OP was asking about.

On 12/27/2016 at 6:47 PM, Seadhna said:

Why spoils of war though?

those minions won't kill anything

Ancient Tomes is a great spell, but without ways to capitalize on it (read: Tara, Aionus, Wretches) most of its strategic value is activation control and scoring Take Prisoner on the last turn. 

What I mean is it's not an auto-include, I'd personally go for 2 more SS in the pool or I pay better + Oath Keeper. 

By the way, any love for Anna the evil younger sister?

i haven't had to test her yet, but on paper she looks just fine and well worth the 10 points

Anna is awesome to shut down tangle shadows in Ressers, getting the Freikorps boost in Schill makes her worth the merc tax.

42 minutes ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

How are other units using her attack though?

As for less AP - doesn't that depend on the rest of the hiring?  If Scion is simply filling the space that another 7/8 SS model would take.....

If the Scion is buried, which happens easily, any other friendly model can use her actions as if they were their own.

AP-wise, what I mean is that the two main ways of healing her are to use void wretches while she is buried, which requires an 8 of any suit and both the wretches AP. A librarian only needs a 7 and 1 AP. The heal is not as good and she costs more SS but it is therefore a bit more flexible. Also the Scion can heal itself (if unburied) via the steam trunk too as a (0).

ah I got it.

I just bought Scion as well as the Tara box.  I reckon running some wretches as scheme runner along with scion would work well too, pump out some additional damage by burying (though probably situational; I don't think I would necessarily go out of my way to put them in the same area of the table)