New Malifaux Podcast: Dead Man's Hand

I'm pleased to announce the first episode of our new podcast, Dead Man's Hand.

Here’s the outline of the episode, chapter by chapter. We hope you enjoy, and feel free to leave feedback here, on our website, on Facebook / Twitter or on iTunes (which should be live soon!)

• Intro to your hosts.
  • The Pit: Teddy vs Izamu.
  • Know Your Enemy: Ramos.
  • Scheme Spotlight: Show of Force.
  • The Foundry: Assembling fiddly models.
  • I Pay Better: Big Jake.
  • Like 1

Listened to the majority of the cast yesterday and today on my commute. Enjoying it @godswearhats, as I think you guys def. have a good rapport; can tell you've done casts together before. I think you all bring a great perspective to the topics. Love how some of you don't care and just use crews with no upgrades (while a psychotic choice, totally grounded ;) ). And while no one will ever agree with all of your comments, I found all you guys had to say to be insightful, entertaining and of high quality. Looking forward to many more episodes!

A few minor suggestions:

• Love the chapters! However, in show notes could we have the timestamp of when they start to easily jump around?
  • For the enforcer brawl section I'd love to hear more about what masters the enforcers go really well with. Enjoyed the actually combat and think the comments you guys made about implementing some changes to the way you carry it out will be great. Look forward to this as you refine it. (For example, would like to see no reshuffling between rounds). However, I would not change things like Howards Assassinate trigger works (i.e. keep it remove 2 cards or 2 ss; obviously only can discard 2 cards). I think this gives you a chance to talk about hand control, management and manipulation, as well as touch on bluffing! All key factors to the game
  • Love the scheme spotlight and the term you guys came up with about 'bidding' for Show of Force. Would love to hear more about how deployment may play a factor in the choosing the scheme and discussing how you might deploy to either go for a particular scheme or bluff for a particular scheme. I find that turn 1 and 2 scheme bluffing is important a bigger factor in our GG2016 pools

As mentioned before, love the cast, and look forward to more!

• Like 1

Just listened to your podcast and like it much.

I'm not a native english speaker (listener!). But I had no problem following you guys! I like how the three of you obviously have fun but still get on topic very much.

In the brawl I would suggest to say "Teddy has a seven" instead of "I have a seven". This would make a lot more easy to follow. And I found it not always clear was it the card or the total you were talking about. I would prefer a "Teddy got 4 makes it a 7" instead of "I have a seven" or "I have a 4".

• Like 1

I like the Chapters.

I play Neverborn and I love show of force. Focusing on enforcers often I will take 3 upgrades on non leaders and here is the list: retribution's eye, mimic's blessing, and often Iggy with depression (he is only 6 stones with the upgrade. If I did not take Iggy then I would take pack or an extra mimic's blessing. The neverborn that have issues are those that go very minion heavy, I tend to be enforcer or henchmen heavy.

Also note about show of force and Zipp, it is printed cost so the free upgrade he give which are normally 1 stone counts.

Just now, D_acolyte said:

I like the Chapters.

I play Neverborn and I love show of force. Focusing on enforcers often I will take 3 upgrades on non leaders and here is the list: retribution's eye, mimic's blessing, and often Iggy with depression (he is only 6 stones with the upgrade. If I did not take Iggy then I would take pack or an extra mimic's blessing. The neverborn that have issues are those that go very minion heavy, I tend to be enforcer or henchmen heavy.

Also note about show of force and Zipp, it is printed cost so the free upgrade he give which are normally 1 stone counts.

yeah I agree, NB is actually one of the best at Show of Force, but noticed that the person who plays NB on the podcast said he has a limited set of models, and was speaking from his pool of models (something that I think should be emphasized more in future episodes). Often times in Malifaux players, when speaking about their choices, forget to mention what they have available and why they choose. I think in this episode its mentioned a little bit but its always good to further emphasize. For example the NB player also said he prefers only his master have upgrades and loves taking models that cost <6ss as a general rule. He has his own reasons and has fun playing that way so its totally valid and cool to hear about alternative perspectives. Furthermore, the hosts also make a good note of saying that they never intend their segments to be gospel (something I do wish other podcasts would say up front).

With that said, Candy with "Best Behavior" getting pushed into the center by Mr. Graves is an incredibly STRONG Show of Force Hench(wo)man. She can just stand there (which is what she loves doing anyways). However, it sounds like the NB player only have Lilith (never used), Zoraida (uses Spawn Mother), and Collodi at his disposal, so no Candy. 

2 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

He has his own reasons and has fun playing that way so its totally valid and cool to hear about alternative perspectives. Furthermore, the hosts also make a good note of saying that they never intend their segments to be gospel (something I do wish other podcasts would say up front).

Agreed, nothing is gospel in this game because of so many factors change a lot. I also think that is important to remember as a player as well, nothing is ever one way even with my stuff; especially with my stuff that I post.

As for Malifaux being a game that reward you for having a lot of models to draw from is something I go back and forth on my thought on it.

• Like 1