Non summoing Dreamer?

Merellin

Well, it can be rather hard to play chompy without summoning, since you'll have to rely on shooting enemies to get your waking up. You can absolutely play him without his summoning upgrade, though generally you'll still want to pop out some daydreams and Alps.

I actually prefer to play The Dreamer with tantrum and restless dreams over dreams of pain, although summoning is an awfully easy option in reconnoitre, hunting party or the like.

Also, what do you find problematic about summoning?

Dreamer was the second master I bought, somewhere around last June. I have since played exactly 2 games as a summoning Dreamer. I always play him shooting. It's very reliable, you just have to be more conscious about what you hire. I play him very aggressively. You can summon Chompy every turn, and control Dreamer's placement pretty reliably. 

Chompy dreamer summons as many or more times per game as 'summoning' dreamer, but the summoning is far far less laborious. Always just needs a 7, don't have to mark wounds, don't have to figure out healing summoned models, and only need alps and daydreams.

It is also quite competitive. I'd guess that a big reason why it isn't common is that it overlaps strategies with Pandora.

Dreamer is at the moment my most played master, and i think i took around couple of games with him as Summoner in total. While i recognize that the Summoner build is a much more solid and versatile one, i had plenty of fun (and some successes too in tourneys) playing him with the other build. At the moment i usually polay something along this line:

Dreamer - Restless Dreams and shootign expert (i suck at remember upgrade names)

Teddy - Retribution Eye (easily swappable Upgrade, but i feel he's not at full power without it)

Doppleganger

Widow Weaver

Waldgeist

Illuminated

Illuminated

3 stones

Sometimes i swap an illuminated for something else cheaper + stones/upgrades. Like a stitched or a bloodwretch.

Usually turn one is a walk an two daydream summoning, to compensate for the somewhat low model count. And then you play with the support Dreamer can give to your crew with Empty night and the menace of long range teddy-slinging due to the large amout of pushes you have available. When the good chance arise, pop chompym kill something, then summon back the child.

The list LOVES hunting party, since your minions are somehwta tanky (and daydream can hang away from most menaces) and you have 4 henchmen/enforcers to score. Long-range wandering scenarios are usually also quite easy, since a dreamer can easily reach opponent deplyment zone, especially because without having to continously back up your army with fresh summons, you can take a couple more walks during the game with the child. Also, even during your last turn, if you piled Waking +3during the game, after you did 3 actions during your turn, you can shoot at enemy with shooting expert (especially with surrounded by nightmare, that skips the damage flip, saving you from the black joker), wake up, summon chompy 6" away + base size (so 8") walk 2 times and then summon back the Dreamer, for a total of 17" inches of reposition. Not bad for a "free" shooting expert action. And you can add some Daydream push on Chompy too.

As said, this is probably not the strongest or "perfect" way to play the Dreamer, but allow yourself to try it sometimes,  i can assure you that is a very fun one to try, if you want somethign different from just summoning way.

FOrgive my english, not my natural language :P and I was on the hurry on the last part.

I was always thinking about this crew:

Dreamer - 5SS pool

Doppleganger

Hooded Rider - Retribution's Eye

Stitched Together

Teddy

Widow Weaver

Turn 1 summoning Day Dreams as usual. Then there is loads hard hitting models which can attack Df and Wp of the enemy. Almost makes me want to buy this crew ;)

A general note about chompy dreamer: you want your daydreams up in the opponent's business where they can apply the debuff, engage would be chargers and shooters, and take hits fit the dreamer when he drops out of chompy form.

As mentioned above, temper this when hunting party is in the pool :)