Tara + Killjoy + Bete = ouch.

Memnaelar

So I ran my Jack crew against a Tara crew that started with Killjoy and Bete both buried and the Nothing Beast as a held-back charge-of-opportunity to unleash Bete/Killjoy in the first round and had real problems taking it down.  I expect the list to be further refined down the line, likely adding a Chiaki + Nurse for added healing and condition removal (which, honestly, is problematic as my Nurses were the only thing keeping Killjoy in check most of the game).

I recognize what *I* did wrong in terms of fighting the list -- coming to him and letting him have the fight he wanted instead of splitting my group and trying to run schemes -- but the list still throws me off my normal game a bit and I have a hard time focusing on how best to combat it.  I know some of the basic thoughts behind it (deny kills, use terrain to block charge lanes, aim for scheme points) but I'm still open for input on how best to disrupt a team that runs that against me.  I know I have an advantage in activation control so long as he's starting down two buried (even with Tara's reactivation), but I'd like to hear some other thoughts on how folks tend to counter Tara crews that run this way as the general internet wisdom doesn't seem to fear this approach from Tara all that much.

Takes?

Aionus will almost single handedly solve this problem. The only down side is at 12ss he's not a great pick if bury shenanigans aren't in play.

Give him oathkeeper and he can lay down HUGE beatings on anything Tara makes fast and buries. He can also remove a burried bette on turn 1 if you have the cards for it.

Aside from that Tara's biggest weakness is Ml attacks. Against Ml attacks she is just def 5 with 12 wounds. If you can focus on her with a decent beater, you should be able to take her out in a couple of turns.

5 hours ago, Jafar said:

Another look at this case, what killers you had in crew? I saw in some cases that JD crew may lack hitting power so it could be hard to kill KJ.

Also Rusty with her "no charge zone" may be nice addition.

Yeah, Rusty's aura, coupled with her shooting, seem good at stopping what's otherwise a plodding advance from my opponent.  Nothing Beast is far less frightening when it can't charge.  

I ran Ama no Zako as my primary hitter and that was clearly a mistake.  I diverged from where I normally run Hannah who would have been sturdier and much happier handing out blasts than Ama was (she was overrun quickly).  Rusty, however, might have been better than either.

6 hours ago, Mikey_C said:

Aionus will almost single handedly solve this problem. The only down side is at 12ss he's not a great pick if bury shenanigans aren't in play.

Give him oathkeeper and he can lay down HUGE beatings on anything Tara makes fast and buries. He can also remove a burried bette on turn 1 if you have the cards for it.

Aside from that Tara's biggest weakness is Ml attacks. Against Ml attacks she is just def 5 with 12 wounds. If you can focus on her with a decent beater, you should be able to take her out in a couple of turns.

Yeah, Tara ended up dying at game's end as Jack just beat the tar out of her (Jack, of all people) but that was well after all the points had been scored.  Ama no Zako threatened her but in melee but then she pulled Killjoy out to mitigate that somewhat and I had a hard time closing on her with Killjoy and Bete screening initially.

I do think Aionus is a solid counter, but at 12 points, I worry slightly about getting my value out of him.  Removing Bete from the equation would be nice, but I'm guessing that my opponent wouldn't start with her buried if he saw Aionus across the table from him.  Still, that does slow her approach.

5 minutes ago, Nukemouse said:

Intriguing. What were the delivery systems used for Killjoy+Bete? Canine remains? Or were they relying solely on killing your models? Did they take the unbury upgrade on Tara?

I need to know this for uh, helping you counter it? Not using it myself. Don't be ridiculous

HA!  Nightmare Beast charging from a long distance was Bete's delivery system when he killed a Lust that I mistaken advanced too far, not realizing the danger it was in.

That would likely have also been Killjoy's delivery, except that my charging in to attack Tara with Ama No Zako led him to unbury Killjoy in base-to-base with Ama in order to head that off before it got ugly.

• Like 1

Nothing beast should be blown up by Jack Cast...right?

And for killjoy you can count on models like Johan and Wrath to strike them back. Wrath is an awesome beater...and has extreme mobility in a JackDaw craw with Oathkeeper.

You can easily one-shot killjoy with it.

Or you can also use The hanged to halve big boys wounds and CA straightly vs the "..beast.."