Mercenarys you like with Neverborn

Commisarp

4 hours ago, Joel said:

Ronin. 

Simply amazing and underrated models. 

Agreed. I face them a lot since my brother plays Viktorias. Their stat line is fairly average for a 6ss minion, but Hard to Kill, Disguise and Stand Ground make them fairly durable. Add an MI weapon with a good damage track that ignores Armour and triggers for either a 4" push out of combat or a + on damage flips. Also a pistol because why not? Then they can flurry if you really want them to fight. Then, a 0 Sacrifice to draw 2 cards or add 2 soulstones if you just know they will die before their next activation.

They're a really nice package.

• Like 3

Ronin are a nice package in Outcasts.  I take at least one with my Viks and take them very often with Leveticus and Jack Daw as well.  My problem with them as Mercenaries is they're 7ss.  Now you're in the territory of Lilitu, Johan, ILLUMINATED, and one shy of Mr. Graves.

Yes, they offer a different package than the listed models, but everything is an opportunity cost.  

Illuminated are probably the most direct replacement for "intended purpose" slot.  Few people take Illuminated for their gun, but their gun is better than a Ronin's.  Illuminated do not ignore armor, but they hit harder against anything without armor and can sometimes hit hard enough that ignoring armor doesn't matter (after Brilliance).  Illuminated are also much faster and far more durable.  

Ronin are still good.  They hit reasonably well at Ml5 2/3/5 ignoring armor, with a potential trigger for :+fate to damage.  They aren't exactly slow, but severe terrain and their 1" melee range can be frustrating.  Once they're in combat they can bounce around nicely with the 4" push after a successful attack.  Survival-wise, they rely on inability to be charged and their HtK for durability.  The inability to be charged can really ruin your opponent's charge lanes if there's a Ronin standing between them and the desired target.  At the end of all this, if the model has fulfilled its objective or is about to die, you get a 2ss refund to your master's cache.  Certainly not bad!

Neither of these mention master synergies.  Again, the Illuminated is the most direct equivalence in-faction.  Disregarding Lynch due to obvious favor to the Illuminated, both Collodi and Dreamer have interactions with any minion.  The Illuminated's package is universally better than the Ronin's for both of those masters' actions, both their direct buffs and Collodi's use of the Illuminated for defensive purposes.

Oh yeah, I love Ronin!  Their competition is just so fierce as a mercenary.  December Acolytes, Austringers, Illuminated, Katanaka Snipers... obviously very different skill sets, but that opportunity cost is strong.

• 2 weeks later...