Children of December rarity?

SpankyBat

My guess would be that she got very popular because her thematic crew got some key releases recently, Snow Storm and Blessed of December in January and Silent Ones in February. At this point, every store that carries Malifaux should have those releases, even my local store in Denmark has them.

21 hours ago, Emberlost said:

Try showing her The Dreamer, and then say "but he turns into this guy" and then show her Lord Chompy Bits.

I persuaded her (read: bugged until she caved) to look at all three books and point out all of the masters she likes. So far her list is: Lilith, Molly, Colette and Lady Justice

20 minutes ago, Blood_stained_lilies said:

I persuaded her (read: bugged until she caved) to look at all three books and point out all of the masters she likes. So far her list is: Lilith, Molly, Colette and Lady Justice

I'm not familiar with Colette, but Lilith and Molly are both a bit tricksy for her first master. I would recommend Lady Justice for her first; she's more straightforward overall.

• Like 1

Lilith isn't bad as a first master. She's fragile but deep. At first, you see the swords damage track and use her as a fighter. As you make the games bigger and get more experience, you start seeing the value in her abilities and upgrades - creating cover, Lure, moving models around, etc. She's got a nice curve to what abilities she has sort of unlocking as you learn the game more.

Her thematic crew is the same, they're fast and fragile. But once you start learning how schemes and strategies work, you start seeing the importance of speed over raw damage. As you make games bigger, more combinations open up even if you stick to her thematic crew.

On that list I'd say that Lilith and Lady J sound like the easiest masters to get started.

If you decide on Molly though, she isnt really that difficult. Molly is a summoner, but she doesnt rely on scrap or corpse markers, she just needs enemy models within summoning range.

I'd run a straight forward list like below and stick to summoning Punk Zombies.

Molly Squidpiddge -- 6ss
 +Forgotten Life - 1ss

Necrotic Machine - 2ss

Crooligan - 4ss

Crooligan - 4ss

Crooligan - 4ss

Madame Sybelle - 8ss

Philip And The Nanny - 8ss
 +Take Back The Night - 1ss

Rotten Belle - 5ss

Rotten Belle - 5ss

Rotten Belle - 5ss

You only need to pick up Mollys starter box, Seamus' starter box and some Punk Zombies. Its got a lot of models, but not that many different models. Crooligans and Belles are relatively simple, they have obvious uses  (placign sheme markers and luring enemy models) and they're good at what they do. There's few upgrades to keep track of and the two automatic/reactive things to keep track of are Black Blood and the card draw from Take Back The Night.

While the list isnt optimimized in any way, you can still pull off card/scheme marker shenanigans with Phillip (crooligans/belless drop scheme markers and Phillip eats the markers to draw cards); movement stuff with Sybelle, Molly and the Belles (Sybelle can use Call Belle of Molly and the Rotten Belles, giving them "free" movement); and Whispers of Past Life/Slice and Dice with the Punk Zombies (Molly can make her horrors take a 1 AP actions and the Punk Zombies have a (1) action that allows them to hit everything in range).

The main issue is that theres really nothing to take the heat of Molly, the list could use a big threat of some kind. By dropping a Crooligan, a Belle and the Necrotic Machine, there's points for swapping in a Rogue Necromancy, a scary thing that most enemys will have to deal with, since its dangerous both in melee and at range. It's not terribly survivable, but it only needs to survive (and distract the enemy) long enough for Molly to start summoning Punk Zombies. 

Read the Pull My Finger article on Molly (there's a good section on which strategies and schemes Mollys good or bad at) and search the Resser forums for tips and tricks, Fetid Strumpet has written a lot of great posts that explain the cool stuff you can do with Molly.

• Like 1