The Seven Samurai - Misaki Crew

Furycat

So on the drive back from the Scottish Doubles GT event, I did a spot of thinking about an idea for a themed crew for Misaki, and discussed it somewhat with my arch-nemesis and regular opponent Argentbadger (aka Paul). I tried it out the other night in a game against said arch-nemesis, and somewhat to my surprise actually beat him for the first time in my Malifaux career. (To be fair, he had handicapped himself by playing Levi, who he is less familiar with).

So, I give you, The Seven Samurai!

Misaki - Stalking Bisento, Recalled Training

The Lone Swordsman - Recalled Training

Samurai - Favour of Jigoku

Samurai - Favour of Earth

Katanaka Sniper

Ronin

Ronin

Cache - 3SS

Yeah, so technically Misaki probably isn't a Samurai but hey. The crew has good shooting threat with two gatling guns (One of which can fire without risk of ripping the poor Samurai's shoulder off if it misses), and the sniper, and the entire crew is a threat in melee. The Swordsman represents a serious threat, particularly if you can pull off a recalled training - charge - you shall not see another sunrise combo. (I managed it vs Argentbadger and it resulted in the death of Hannah and an opposing Ronin!). The Earth Samurai is a good solid tank to push forward with 9 wounds and armour 2, though you could swap him to Heavens if you needed more flanking/scheme running mobility. The Ronin do a pretty good job in the scheme-running stakes however. And Misaki? Well, she does what Misaki does. Highly mobile and very choppy.

Overall it was quite a bit of fun to play and has a nice theme feel to it, so I figured I'd share. (That and I'm having a bit of a slow day at work).

Enjoy

• Like 2

Very nice! Congrats on the win.

I'm new to the game and have been thinking about getting a Samurai for my Misaki crew. One of my main opponents has been playing Rasputina a lot, and the Jigoku Samurai seems like the perfect answer to Ice Golems and Gamin.

The +++ on the gatling gun attack flip is great for dealing with things like cover, or innate - flips. The Jigoku Samurai just needs to get himself into a good position with some nice sight lines and go to town, that 14" range really lets him cover a lot of the board with that firepower. Park him in some cover and between that and his armour 2 he can be a real pain to drop. Also worth remembering that he can go defensive without discarding a card which can be a good use of his second AP if you feel he might be threatened, rather than just shooting twice. If you've got a decent ram in hand(or just top-deck it like a boss) you can get 2 shots out of a single AP, then go defensive to make him hard to take down. Even if he then gets engaged, he's no slouch in melee!

You certainly could, they perform a similar role (Adding ranged power), and they certainly look like Samurai archers! I just like the sniper for the from the shadows deploy, his (0) to slow people who get close, and his melee capability. Loyal unto death is also good with Misaki, since she generally ends up dying at some point in the game!

However in strat/scheme setups that tend to encourage a giant melee in the centre of the board, the archer shines with his ability to shoot into combat without randomizing, and rapid fire doesn't hurt either! He can give out slow with his shots too, though it's suit dependant.

17 hours ago, Wake of Godzilla said:

From a theme perspective would you consider swapping the Katanaka Sniper for a 10 Thunders Archer?

According to fluff Katanaka Snipers are loyal minions of Misaki's father, the Oybabun (who is the head of the Katanaka clan and the Ten Thunders). So technically both choices are thematically correct for Misaki :)