Colette

Jugan0ght

TT got plenty of scheme marker removal and manipulation. Even though Colette can be played in other ways too. 

Dealing with the Duet, ignore Armor, or kill one of the Coryphees before they can merge. Lone Swordsman, and Samurai can do this. 

What masters do you play? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Patzer said:

TT got plenty of scheme marker removal and manipulation. Even though Colette can be played in other ways too. 

Dealing with the Duet, ignore Armor, or kill one of the Coryphees before they can merge. Lone Swordsman, and Samurai can do this. 

What masters do you play? 

Sorry for the lack of information I am writing this from work :D.

I am running Shen Long currently and he is the first master I have used with TT. I do own the majority of models now I am missing Yin and Toshiro but otherwise I have all of the models. I am yet to use Snipers though (only because they haven't been built). 

I have noticed Tengu (who are built but untested) have removal and I know that Shen Long/Senei Yu can move markers around, I will try Samurai though, the :+fate:+fate:+fate positive might stop the smirk from appearing when I try and kill the duet haha.

A big mistake that I constantly make against Collette is in developing my pieces too quickly.  Her threat range from prompt, especially with the duet, can be quite absurd, and she will get it pretty far across the board in general, easily vaporizing your vanguard.  Don't over-commit key models for it to eat early.  If and when you take the duet down, make sure that you have the AP and cards ready to do so in a turn.  With Shen Long, you can also try to push it somewhere with only one push direction out and then block that direction with something like a peasant.  Generally, if you don't have the resources at a given time to kill the duet (or whoever her big beater is) finding some way to nullify at least a little of the threat can go a long way.

Another problem I end up having when I take schemes that I need markers for is not prioritizing killing the performers.  If you want your schemes to stick or you're playing headhunter, kill the performers ASAP.  I also usually try to hunt Cassandra with some combination like an Illuminated and a sniper.  Her mobility and resilience often makes her a good scheme runner away from the rest of the crew.  Stopping her and then having some turns in a less populated portion of the board to scheme on your own can be worth a 14ish point investment.

• Like 2

I've not played much against Colette specifically but I know from experience against other Masters with a lot of pushes, like McMourning, that trying to manipulate their movement is kind of a pointless endeavour as they end up having the advantage because they cancel your manipulation without losing much utility themselves. So, I reckon if you're going to pushing models around it should be your own to try and match your speed to Colette's a little.

I know Colette is pretty much impossible to kill unless you can get rid of all her scheme markers (NOPE!) so I think what Yvarre says above is good advice. Shenlong would be pretty awesome at taking out Colette's models I reckon. With a bunch of Focus, he can get around Cassandra's :-fate's from Southern Charm and the Coryphee Duet's high Df and :+fate's. Snipers are a good idea because they can hit Sh 6 with Focus around Sensei Yu and deal real damage to some of Colette's support pieces at range. Tengu may also be a good idea as they can use the insane number of Scheme Markers to their advantage to jump around. 

• Like 1

I agree with the general sentiment of engaging at range, both because she doesn't have a terrible lot of shooting natively, and because Prompt can be a nasty surprise.

Also bear in mind that Sensei Yu denies Defensive triggers on his Hurricane Punch. Since he doesn't have Charge, it can be difficult to wrangle an opening offensive salvo with him, but a Collette unable to escape with her Df triggers can be a sad Collette.

Guild Pathfinders and Clockwork Traps (if you have them) might also be decent because they could blast onto Mannequins. Also they can trigger to ignore Armour so some splash damage on those Coryphee could work very well. The Traps could also frustrate the your opponent by dishing out Slow.

• Like 2

Snipers are pretty sweet with Shenlong + Sensei Yu and peasants. You can deliver a very nasty opening volley while still at range, having a peasant provide for the temple onto a sniper to give focus, then he activates and shoots with that focus, gaining the 28" range, +1 to duel total from Sensei Yu nearby, and is at ++ to hit and + to damage. Then he can focus for a (0) since Shenlong is nearby, and do it all again. Take 2 snipers and you can lay a LOT of pain down from distance. Plus, when the enemy close in they're pretty handy in melee too, and have that nice blowdart (0) to hand out slow which can throw a spanner in the works.

As someone else already mentioned, Sensei Yu doesn't allow defensive triggers on his hurricane punch which makes Colette sad, as does having slow punched into her (Which he does innately). She's also not a great fan of blasts if you can get some splashed onto her, making Shenlong's high river style potentially tasty vs her, and the Dawn Serpent can be a nice addition for this with it's fire breath. (Plus it's call unto the Chi will make it very tricky to take down).

Lone Swordsman with recalled training is also good, since he can ignore armour on one of his triggers, has a (0) to push which can be handy vs models that cannot be charged. With a Shenlong crew you can push him 10 inches and make him fast pretty easily, getting him into combat with 3 AP for his recalled training turn, which will kill most things.

You can also get some pretty solid hand advantage in a Shenlong crew with the Emissary and a low river monk thanks to it's Shenlong upgrade. The monk can handily get to focus +3, which the Emissary can strip for 3 cards. And he can remove slow from your turn 1 summoned peasant as well, which is nice.

Also, a lot of Colette shenanigans works around her scheme marker control, so don't forget you can dick around with scheme markers too thanks to mighty gust. I've had a few Shenlong vs Colette games and they usually get pretty silly in the shenanigans stakes, but always great fun!

If he takes the Mech Rider, you have 2 nice ways of dealing with it's absurd defensive trigger in later turns. #1 Sensei Yu doesn't allow defensive triggers as we discussed earlier, but another fun option is to build a lot of burning on Shenlong, switch to high river and kick all of it into the Mech Rider with lightning kick. The kicks themselves wont do a lot of damage, but the Mech Rider is a sad puppy when it suddenly receives 6 burning in the course of 2AP!

Hope that helps.

• Like 1