Dark Carnival-proxy opinions?

To make this absolutely clear as the first thing people see, I'm not talking about anything like a tournament setting, just casual play.

So, I guess the thing is, my interest in Arcanists has only ever been tepid at best. But I got all excited about the carnival crew so have the whole set, and would like to use them in a faction I actually enjoy, and I frankly don't feel like the showgirls really represent a crew as sinister as they feel.

With that in mind... what crew would you proxy the Carnival as?

My thoughts...

(Guild doesn't feel right; Gremlins would just be too weird; I didn't think of any TT that spoke to me, Arcanists have the set they already would fit)

Seamus or Leveticus with an undead carnival seems possible?

Collodi seems like probably the strongest choice, since the coryphee and mannequins wouldn't need any work, and Cooper's hands could easily be holding sinister puppet strings. But there are quite a few living pieces in the carnival that don't particularly feel like they'd fit the puppet set.

Lucius could be another weird one- creepy Penguins don't feel that far off from mimics.

Leveticus can also run the coryphee/mannequins, has a trio of light-weight totems, and there's enough outcast variety that the rest seem like they could fit in a sub-optimal crew.

• Like 1

Nothing says you *have* to use Cooper as a master proxy.  If I had forked over the money for the box, I was going to use Thin Lizzy as a Beckoner.  You could probably use the strong man (can't remember his name) as Mr. Graves without much argument.  I was planning on using the flying monkeys as Terror Tots, but you could totally run Lola as Coppelius and make the monkeys Alps.  For the main man Cooper?  Either another Beckoner or maybe Tannen.

If you go with the Cooper = Collodi, then you could use the monkeys as Marionettes (unless you want to stick with the actual puppets).

• Like 1

Thanks, all, for the responses--

Grim- I'll need to look at the minis again, think they might be too organic looking for that, but it might work

zeeblee, hadn't considered that angle- I could see that. 

Math, good idea, the only issue there is I've already got a dreamer crew I've put a lot of energy into and I wasn't thinking I'd work with a reskin of a crew I already have.

• 3 months later...
On 01/03/2016 at 11:08 PM, Math Mathonwy said:

What about Dreamer? Monkeys as Daydreams, then Performers as Lelu and Lilitu, Mannequins as Stitched Togethers, Cooper as Dreamer - all you need is Chompy and I'm sure you can find something suitable. Baritone Lola could be Widow Weaver or Insidious Madness I suppose.

I actually had this exact same idea!

In fact I'm planning on doing exactly this and using my Mummerette duet as Chompy!  Kinda want to get a second Cooper to go on the base too...