Pearls before swine, my gremlins

Ress is More

• 2 weeks later...

Beautifully painted minis.  So smooth and well done!  But on a side note...  How did you make that tree?  It almost looks like a Banyan tree like here in Oki, but also looks like the tress I use to see while living in Louisiana.  Got a technique for making it? 

• Like 1

For the tree I used 2 sizes of wire (about 1mm and 0,5mm. The thicker ones you twist in the centre untill you are satisfied with the main trunk thickness. I guess I used about 12 for this. Make sure to leave enough length untwisted for the roots at the bottom and branches at the top. You will want these to be rather longer than too short and clip these later on.

For the branches at the top you take 2 or 3 of the main wires and twist these into seperate bundles. At this point you can decide leaving out sidebranches where you want them. Clip these to proper length after modeling them into shape.

The thinner wire wire I added where I felt they looked natural. These are easily inserted into the twisted bundles.

The roots you bend in shape and clip these to form an even base.

I heated the roots over a flame and gently presses these into a 50mm base. After cooling down the tree was fixed to the base, no extra gluing was required.

Now you make sure your tree has the shape you want

I used a thick layer woodfiller to create the bark. By applying this with a brush (about 1cm) with thick bristles you instantly can create the lines you need to give the bark it's distinctive look. You may want to apply the woodfiller a second time to achieve the best result. Make sure to make the trunk and branches look like they are solid, covering up the twisted bundles of wire.

After drying it's time to paint and base the tree how you like.

Islandic moss is an easy way to create foliage. You jusy glue this on.

It's a very cheap and fast way to create a good looking tree. This one took me I guess less then 2 hours in total. 

• Like 1

Thanks Rikk. I always just mix up paints as I go for each mini individually so it's quite hard to formulate an exact recipe. I use almost only Vallejo. The base is a very dark mixture of Beasty Brown, Pale Flesh and black. I add more Pale Flesh for every other layer. For the Sow I used about 5 or 6 layers.

Up next will be Som'er and Gluttony. After them the Wong Box, Pigapult and some more Piglets should be next.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

And some more progress±

Finished the bayou gremlins from the Bayou Boss set, the limited one is on the way:

6BZWTyadwVNCIiux2cFhe7q_4nxduig1Y88SjDIf

The Pigapult:

qQf7lF3dr41EwQ8yXS8mLalwIhTYYTeCyDGqth3k

Also finished some scenery lately, I allready posted this in another thread but for completeness of this thread I will also post them here.

SgPjM7LKqBNJAzAQO50ZRBMnfqhejPRshHx8-UlH

2NZtA9wbhy49q7QiC8qMi6qBikTEHy4V0Pwa7jh5

LhjygMPL51kKzUEzjci6IVPr8UTPCp_umGSWMT6R

I am now working on the Nightmare Whiskey Golem and finishing the creative taxidermy set and also Sammy is awaiting some paint.

• Like 5