molly + transmortis

zagdag

ok, attempt three at posting in the right forum...damn phone.

Molly and Transmortis are awesome looking. I am thinking of getting back into Malifaux but don't intend to by more than a starter and maybe 1 box. Very small investment because its my 5th game. So what I am asking is, is this viable, mollys crew box plus university transmortis box set? I would be looking for smaller games and I don't care if there is only two or three ways to run it, I just want to be sure I wont be forced into three other boxes to even be able to play (Warmachine ptsd).

follow up question. The new two player starter also seems cool and I like that the models in it are mercs for any faction. That said, is there any reason for molly (or anyone else for that matter) to use them, or is it just a gimmick?

From what I've read (and based my starter purchases on) its a good start to running Horror Molly, though the conventional advice is to pick up Seamus' box too, as both Madame Sybelle and Belles work well with Molly.

Killjoy and Yin are popular with Molly, and they're fairly cheap (cash wise, not soul stone wise). Yin has the added advantage of being really good with Seamus, if you decide to pick up his box.

Then there's The Drowned and Nurses which I think are nice to have, rather than need to have for Molly. I think you can get by without Punk Zombies by using the students from Transmortis.

You could use the Bloodwretches with Molly since they're immune to Black Blood, but I think there are better in faction options for 6 stones.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zagdag said:

follow up question. The new two player starter also seems cool and I like that the models in it are mercs for any faction. That said, is there any reason for molly (or anyone else for that matter) to use them, or is it just a gimmick?

Mostly a gimmick. About the only one of the bunch I would seriously consider outside of their main Faction for anything else than a very gimmicky build is Grimwell, who can really make use of I Pay Better from Outcasts. Blood Wretches also get quite a bit of mileage from Fast so if you can somehow give them Fast, then they can be worth considering but it's a bit corner-case.

University, Molly box and Seamus box makes for a nice, playable force (or actually two, since Seamus works nice enough with those purcahes as well). Not necessarily quite "tournament-quality" good but certainly nice for casual games. Just University and Molly is a bit lacking.

• Like 1

The only box you'd probably want to buy with such a small budget is Seamus's box. Molly's box really wants Seamus's, Nicodem's, Students, etc to be effective. She wants

• Sybelle to move her around, tarpit, enable Belles
  • Belles to be generally annoying and provide board control. she can also summon more
  • punk zombies from nicodem as they are her best summon if you can get them at 2 wounds due to hard to kill. hard to kill is my favorite thing ever
  • Students for having a swiss army knife. usually anti armor to deal with arcanists
  • Valedictorian is a decent henchmen for molly that can run off on her own to accomplish schemes/harass snipers/help strip triggers. 
  • Like 3

The problem with using only the University box is that the models in there are all pretty specialized. It’s unusual to fight a crew that contains living, undead, and construct models, so a lot of the time one or two of your minions will be overpriced, as they won’t have access to their terrifying checks and triggers. Combined with Molly’s not great starter crew and you’re in a bit of a tough spot. As stated earlier, Seamus’ crew would help out as it would give you access to Belles and Madam Sybelle.

However, if you don’t want to pick up another crew just to play one master I’d recommend picking up Yin the Penanggalan and either a box of Punk Zombies or the Drowned. Yin is in a small box, is a horror, and works very well with Molly, especially if you don’t want to use her as a big summoner (which you won’t, unless you want to buy all the things). Drowned and Punks are both in long boxes and would give you more general purpose minions for summoning. Both are also Horrors, so Molly’s tricks work on them.  It would make it an additional $25 or so investment, but that would be enough to give you a decently good model pool to play around with. Hope that helps!